Shower thoughts

p1t1o

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

No. Kerbals don't have large floppy ears.  But are Kerbals and Minions related?

Kerbals may have removed their ears in order to slide their helmets on. And yes, Kerbals are sea sick minions.

I wonder how long in to the one way trip to Mars the primitive beast that lives in us all, will totally freak out, realising that their is no going back and will either go mad or comatose?

9 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I wonder how long in to the one way trip to Mars the primitive beast that lives in us all, will totally freak out, realising that their is no going back and will either go mad or comatose?

Need to distract it with space shanties and zero-g ping pong.

4 hours ago, Gargamel said:

r2qhxGh.jpg

It's a superposition of all its possible states. A Schroedingesaurus.

The Kerbals not just lack ears, they see with forehead.

Their eyes are actually a communication device to show emotions.

Also they are single-minded.

And the single mind is usually thirteen and plays instead of classes.

In various movies, when somebody threatens another one with a pistol,
and then, to look more convincing, pulls the slide back, and no shell jumps from the ejection port,
does it mean that this idiot was threatening with non-cocked pistol?

I wonder if when they always eject a shell from a shotgun to show that they mean business, if they realise that is 1 less shell they have to fire. (this is of course before they have fired any.)

11 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I wonder if when they always eject a shell from a shotgun to show that they mean business, if they realise that is 1 less shell they have to fire. (this is of course before they have fired any.)

Well, the more effective way is to blast a hole near their feet, then eject the empty shell to show you really mean business. Yeah, you're still down one shell but at least it's not a live one.

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

In various movies, when somebody threatens another one with a pistol,
and then, to look more convincing, pulls the slide back, and no shell jumps from the ejection port,
does it mean that this idiot was threatening with non-cocked pistol?

7 hours ago, ColdJ said:

These are two of my biggest pet peeves in movies and television shows. I cannot help but comment on them every time I see them. Imagine my wife's joy.

Just popping in from a borrowed computer. I wonder if the last 2 posts should actually be in the "One sentence to annoy an entire fanbase" thread.

Hope you are all well. Think I might soak in the tub instead. :)

This morning, I was thinking as I was waiting for the coffee to brew (technically, I guess this would not be a shower thought... :blush:), I was thinking about a few of the research "fads" I remembered following as I was growing up. When I was a child (think 1970s), I read a lot of National Geographic and Popular Science. Between the two and their reporting, the future looked bright. Some of the things that fascinated me then were:

• Hydroponic farming: Popular science had a lot of articles where that was a major subject. The idea was you can grow more crops vertically with the use of a water and nutrient mixture and artificial light than you could on a traditional "flat" field.
  • Arcology architecture: Another big series of articles about huge, multi-storied constructions (think of the tall buildings you see in the Star Wars prequels) where you would work, live, and shop in a self-contained community. In some of the articles, hydroponic farming was considered as a viable part of the arcology as a way to utilize as much vertical space as possible. 
  • Orbiting farming platforms: One of the earliest experiments on NASA's Skylab was germinating seeds. And Popular Science picked up on this idea and ran with it. Self-contained orbiting agricultural platforms were thought to have possibilities not available on Earth, such as a completely controlled climate, possible larger crop yields. And even at the age of 8, I had realized how inefficient these would be.
  • Edible packaging for products: When the threat of global cooling was all the rage in the 1970s, one of the ideas was to create edible packaging for foodstuffs. No more cellophane, card stock, cardboard, plastic, or Styrofoam containers. The containers themselves would also be edible. The idea was it would reduce consumer waste and provide nutritious food supplements to the consumer. ("Hey, can you pass me a piece of the pop-tart box? That really tastes good!")
  • Flying personal transportation: Not only flying cars, but jetpacks, too. I'm not surprised this didn't develop. Even as a kid, I knew that flying cars could be trouble. Can you imagine jet packs, too?
  • Space colonization and exploration: Yeah, this has been the biggest disappointment. By now, according to Popular Science, we'd already have colonists on the Moon. They'd be living in domed cities using hydroponic farming to provide oxygen and foodstuffs. The belief was such colonization would be the results of coordination between the private sector (corporations and educational institutions) and government.  There were more than a dozen articles highlighting different things which would be needed to make such a reality happen - everything from improvements in education to emphasize the sciences and math, international agreements forbidding the militarization of space, international cooperation, and the development of related industrial processes and spaceflight.

I'm not saying that none of these things still might/might not happen. But it is disappointing that now, some 40 years after those things were said to be in our future - and by the end of the first decade of the new century - none of these things have happened or are in the process of happening. Maybe my grandchildren will live long enough to see a few of them.

12 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Hydroponic farming

Done.

Spoiler

1608446894_1.jpg

13 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Arcology architecture: <...> multi-storied constructions <...> where you would work, live, and shop in a self-contained community.

Done.

Spoiler

o6pt4fgfw35hqof-mpj4z4h4bt8.jpeg15400408.jpg

17 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Edible packaging for products

But isn't it to keep the dirt away from the food inside?

Anyway, done.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://n-wrc.ru/blog/sedobnaja-upakovka-uzhe-realnost/

Spoiler

sedobnaya-upakovka-dlya-zdorovykh-produkuzn_1466683706.jpgzheleynye_stakany.jpg

22 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Flying personal transportation

Mostly riding, but sometimes.

Spoiler

24-7.jpg

23 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Orbiting farming platforms

23 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Space colonization and exploration

Not just done, but available for everybody

Spoiler

Well, it was unexpectedly...

Spoiler

PDwebsite_BoxArt_600x850_KSPPC.jpg

9 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Done.

Not done. Those are just skyscrapers where the bottom two floors are reserved for commercial purposes. An arcology is a lot more than that. It would have industrial areas, agricultural areas, residences, and shopping all in one structure. In theory, you could live your entire life in it without ever setting foot on the "outside" world.

14 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

But isn't it to keep the dirt away from the food inside? Anyway, done.

Not to the extent it could be done. To be honest, with the state of evil in the world (yes, some people suck), I do not think edible packaging will ever become mainstream or commonplace. There's too much risk in it and what corporation would want the liability of that target on their back.

17 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Not just done, but available for everybody

Yes, this is the exact reason I play KSP. :)

I am ignoring:

• Onions in a windowsill, sure hydroponics at work. But it is not large scale agriculture by any means. If that's your window, kinda cool, and thanks for sharing!
  • Scooter: yeah, that image. That person is falling - not even the way Buzz Lightyear fell but with style. So, it does not count as flying. :P

54 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Onions in a windowsill, sure hydroponics at work. But it is not large scale agriculture by any means. If that's your window, kinda cool, and thanks for sharing!

Large-scale hydroponic farming is definitely a thing. 
This is a farm in India:

image0.jpg