Shower thoughts

p1t1o

10 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

You saw the Backyard Scientists video I suppose? :D

No, I unsubbed from him yesterday, and it popped up on my feed after posting this.    It was literally a passing thought to build a single piston pogo stick. 

27 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

And an Orion Pogo Stick to start from Mars

Maybe Orion was a pogo stick all along?

I can imagine an engineer who’s working late trying come up with a proposal for a propulsion system using nukes. Suddenly, he sees his kid’s pogo stick and EUREKA, the concept of Orion was born

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Unfortunately, Anne McCaffrey didn’t live long enough to see real live Dragonriders, even if they rode a mechanical Dragon instead of biological….

I had forgotten that she had died, which is sad because I enjoyed her books, though not the Dragon Riders of Pern, never could get in to them, but The Crystal Singer series, The Talent series (I think "To Ride Pegasus" might have been my introduction to her.) ,The Dinosaur Planet books, Doona, Brain and Brawn, Acorna. Through these I was also introduced to Elizabeth Moon who I also enjoyed.

6 hours ago, DialoMalison said:

Jacques Hammer in France

Jens Hammer in Germany

Giacomo Hammer in Italy

Not to mention Sean, Shane, John, Ivan and Jake. :)

15 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Know a planet in the greater scheme of things is literally just a pebble near a small fire.

Just don't kick it in to a cold stream or we will all be cracking up. :)

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Isn't it Jackob?

Nope. Jackob is a variation on Jacob which in turn is from the Hebrew Ya'qob and also variations from ancient Latin and Greek. The most Anglesised version being James. There are variations from many dozens of languages but it would be easier for you to just Wikipedia the name.

StarWars, the scene where Han shot first.

How did the lightshot easily pass through the thick, smoky atmosphere of that den of sin, and didn't vaporize the suspended in air dusticles and smokicles, and didn't rip off the Han hand and everything around?

Never use a laser gun in  a smoky room. Especially with mirrors. So, never bring you handlaser to a pub.

Edited by kerbiloid

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Don't the balster bolts interact with the solid particles scattered in air, turning them into fireballs?

Yes, but the interaction and subsequent reaction happen so fast that to the human eye it may as well be instantaneous. Matter is broken apart at a molecular level and then rushes to recombine again as nature likes all atoms to have partners.

17 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Yes, but the interaction and subsequent reaction happen so fast that to the human eye it may as well be instantaneous. Matter is broken apart at a molecular level and then rushes to recombine again as nature likes all atoms to have partners.

But it should cause a local burst in the dusty and smoky "atmosphere" of the den.

3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

But it should cause a local burst in the dusty and smoky "atmosphere" of the den.

It does, localised along the path of the bolt and like I said, extremely fast. Large prolonged fire or fireballs require continuous fuel supply. If the atmosphere was that flammable then one shot would ignite the entire planet. Better question would be how does a desert planet with no significant vegetation or oceans, produce enough oxygen to support that many living creatures?