Shower thoughts

p1t1o

9 hours ago, cubinator said:

Water and carbon dioxide, the products of combustion, combine to form soda.

nathan-fillion.gif&f=1

I want to argue that but its not wrong. I mean you ignore the added sugar and flavoring but still.

20 minutes ago, qzgy said:

nathan-fillion.gif&f=1

I want to argue that but its not wrong. I mean you ignore the added sugar and flavoring but still.

Of course, but in it's most basic form carbonated water is still an actual drink. (I don't find it very appealing without flavoring, but that's just personal preference.)

But then, of course...Sugars are hydrocarbons that can combust themselves. Which means...

You can synthesize a sweet soda-like drink from pure sugar.

There seems to be a certain 'line' were we can't predict the future because there are so many directions it can diverge into.

We about know what will happend 10 years from now, 100 years from now is more vague, but we do have a little bit of an idea of how it will be, but 1000 or even 10,000 years in the future is nearly impossible to imagine. What you might think will happend in 10,000 years could very well be achieved within the next 100 years.

This would be really interesting for a sci-fi.

Edited by NSEP

4 minutes ago, NSEP said:

There seems to be a certain 'line' were we can't predict the future because there are so many directions it can diverge into.

We about know what will happend 10 years from now, 100 years from now is more vague, but we do have a little bit of an idea of how it will be, but 1000 or even 10,000 years in the future is nearly impossible to imagine. What you might think will happend in 10,000 years could very well be achieved within the next 100 years.

Depends on what you're trying to predict.

Technology? Kinda. We can point to things like Moore's Law and such. But, on the other hand, nobody saw the PC Revolution or the ubiquitous smartphone coming. There is always the possibility of a breakthrough technology that will turn everything on its head.

But as far as everything else goes, good luck. We can point out long-term trends in sociology, but if we honestly think we can say for certain what society will look like 10 years from now, we're kidding ourselves. I could point out example after example of this to you, but we'll probably wind up running aground on 2.2b if I do.

8 hours ago, NSEP said:

You might enjoy the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, if you haven't already read it.

13 hours ago, TheSaint said:

PC Revolution

It was a Horus PC Heresy or PC Schism caused by the Doom of the Copper or so.

If there was a fiber optic in 1970s, unlikely PC would ever appear, I believe.
But that temporary limit of the communication speed, while CPU were getting faster and faster forced the rise of the standalone working stations (aka PC).

But currently, with mobile devices, the humanity returns to the normal state of the things - thin clients and data centers.

(Though PC are very pleasant as they keep the collections of illegal and obscene stuff privacy).

13 hours ago, TheSaint said:

nobody saw the PC Revolution or the ubiquitous smartphone coming.

Probably because not the technical implementation should be predicted, but data traffic, communication speed, distance/time between a person and a closest phone, and so on.
I guess, these resulting values would match a chart enough well.

A problem though. Any chart gets almost vertical approaching to the mid-XXI.
They call it singularity (though maybe it's just an inflection point like this:)

Spoiler

600px-Logistic-curve.svg.png

3 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Imagine how bad it would hurt to actually cough your lungs out...

Sad Story Warning

My dad was a pack-a-day smoker from the age of 12. After he was in an accident at work he wound up in the hospital for a surgery on his shoulder, and while he was there he literally watched the guy in the bed next to him die of smoking-related emphysema (these days rebranded as COPD). And, try as he might, he still couldn't quit smoking. He was miserable for the last eight years of his life because they couldn't correct all of the issues that arose from his accident because of smoking-related illness, and he died of lung cancer when he was 65.

So, yeah, I can imagine how much it hurts to cough out a lung. And, seriously, guys. Don't smoke. It leads to nothing good.

Frequently, in English-speaking movies, characters have to say lines in another language as if they're fluent, when the actor/actress has no clue how to speak said language.  They're just coached on how to say their lines.

How often do you think non-English speaking actors have to spew out English lines in their native-speaking movies?  What about in English speaking movies?

(I've been re-watching Weeds, which has a lot of Mexican characters/actors.  I'm not entirely sure all of them speak English despite having English lines, so it got me wondering)

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

What about in English speaking movies?

I imagine not very often, because as an American, I assume everyone already speaks English.

Seriously, though, English is pretty widely spoken.  I'm sure quite often, it's possible to get an actor with some English ability.  I would also guess that the creators would try to get the English correct if the movie is meant to gain any viewing in English speaking countries.

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

How often do you think non-English speaking actors have to spew out English lines in their native-speaking movies?  What about in English speaking movies?

No problem, a hot potato helps.

1 hour ago, razark said:

I'm sure quite often, it's possible to get an actor with some English ability. 

Also you need English-listening viewers.

1 hour ago, razark said:

I would also guess that the creators would try to get the English correct if the movie is meant to gain any viewing in English speaking countries.

Hire a not-so-top-10 Hollywood star, and her fans will come to watch. Anyway unlikely the movie will attract somebody else.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:48 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I just had a random thought. What would Lynx Despacito smell like? (I am being serious, I really did just think of that. Thanks brain!)

Possibly like roasted memes and a burrito with Alexa sauce

am i the only one here that imagines the pictures used by other members actually saying what they wrote?

I like turtles

Edited by Rover6428