Shower thoughts

p1t1o

6 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Yes, but they are already.  So when the agent takes over the person, does their consciousness just black out?  Where do they go mentally?  Are they possessed, and go along for the ride?  

Also, what happens to their body when they die?   If the bodies produce the most energy while alive, doesn't it behoove the machines to keep everybody alive?   But that would cause the matrix to fail as people don't die aside from old age.  So if a young viable body dies in the matrix, what do they do with it?  Reload it into a new consciousness in the matrix?  Give it a whole new back story?

During Neo's training it is clearly explained that if you die inside Matrix it's game over. Morpheus says that body can not live without the mind.

Agent possesing somebody sure looks like compete overwrite of mind.

As for what happens to the body, like I said, it gets fed through the feeding tubes, but I believe you missunderstood me. The tubes don't go inside you. You go inside the tubes.

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

And the other people in the room wonder why you morphed into somebody in a suit, pulled a gun and ran out of the room.   And you wake up in a cement truck, on it's side, stuck in a phone booth. 

...and the only thing you say is...

"AGAIN!?"

The matrix trilogy, taken as a whole, is a good watch. So the story has some weird parts, go watch "Begotten" then come back and tell me the story of the matrix is muddled.

"The Matrix" part one, as a standalone film, is one of the best action movies of the 20th century and redefined the genre.

The soundtrack to "The Matrix" is one of the best rock/alternative albums released in the 90's.

15 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:
15 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Have you not seen the matrix?

No I have not

In fact you have. Matrix is making you to think so.

14 hours ago, razark said:

Why does the matrix allow incoming connections?  Have these machines never heard of a firewall?

(My guess).
It's just a sandbox. Several freaks are really thinking that they got outside the Matrix, but actually they got inside a nested virtual machine making the freaks harmless.
(An underground flying sewership in real world?...)

16 hours ago, Gargamel said:

So when the agent takes over the person, does their consciousness just black out?  Where do they go mentally?  Are they possessed, and go along for the ride?  

Maybe they just get paused and then continue thinking like nothing happened? "Wow! It was 3 am just a second ago, and now it's evening. Did I have a sudden sleep?"

Also, what happens to their body when they die?   If the bodies produce the most energy while alive, doesn't it behoove the machines to keep everybody alive?

If their bodies do this on purpose. But it can just utilize some part of their waste heat, so no problem if some of them from time to time get replaced with newborn ones.

So if a young viable body dies in the matrix, what do they do with it?  Reload it into a new consciousness in the matrix?  Give it a whole new back story?

Make soylent green.

Edited by kerbiloid

6 hours ago, p1t1o said:

The matrix trilogy, taken as a whole, is a good watch. So the story has some weird parts, go watch "Begotten" then come back and tell me the story of the matrix is muddled.

"The Matrix" part one, as a standalone film, is one of the best action movies of the 20th century and redefined the genre.

The soundtrack to "The Matrix" is one of the best rock/alternative albums released in the 90's.

The Matrix was an amazing action film that didn't stand up well to clear thinking in the light of day. There's probably a reason why the Wachowskis have produced almost nothing else of note.

Funny story: I was living in South Africa when The Matrix came out. It came out in the U.S. about three months before it came out down there. I'm on the phone with a buddy of mine back in the States:

Buddy: "Oh, and you have to go see The Matrix."

Me: "Really? It looks kinda dumb. And it's Keanu Reeves. I was just going to give it a pass."

Buddy: "No, dude, you totally have to go see it."

Me: "Why? What's so great about it?"

Buddy: "I...can't tell you. You just have to go see it."

I almost didn't go see it. But my friend and I were bored on a Friday, happened to be walking by the theater, and I remembered my buddy's recommendation.

@TheSaint I think the matrix gets a lot of bad press for not being "the absolute pinnacle of cinema" whereas if you dont try and look at it through a lens of "Im looking for something profoundly deep" its actually a very original and well made thing. The Wachowskis didnt actually put anytihng that deep into it, a lot of the "mystery" is open-ended with the intention being that the viewers make up their own minds about what they think is going on.

Now Im not really a fan of that, I dont like loose strings and dont really like having to make up the story myself, that is I think is its major flaw but is one of artistic purpose which is highly subjective. And since we are talking about it right now, you could say that they were supremely successful, given that the Matrix is 20 years old this year (!!!!!!)

But I do think that matrix #1 is an action masterpiece and that the trilogy as a whole is "quite good".

Edited by p1t1o

Just now, p1t1o said:

@TheSaint I think the matrix gets a lot of bad press for not being "the absolute pinnacle of cinema" whereas if you dont try and look at it through a lens of "Im looking for something profoundly deep" its actually a very original and well made thing. The Wachowskis didnt actually put anytihng that deep into it, a lot of the "mystery" is open-ended with the intention being that the viewers make up their own minds about what they think is going on.

Now Im not really a fan of that, I dont like loose strings and dont really like having to make up the story myself, that is I think is its major flaw but is one of artistic purpose which is highly subjective. And since we are talking about it right now, you could say that they were supremely successful, given that the Matrix is 20 years old this year (!!!!!!)

But I do think that matrix #1 is an action masterpiece and that the trilogy as a whole is "quite good".

Oh, I agree, it is an amazing action film. The people I find ridiculous are the ones who try to make it into something more.

The Matrix can't be 20 years old. That would mean that I'm getting old, and that's impossible. ;)

So, Matrix is an action??
I was sure, it's an office sitcom about a programmer using king-fu in GUI development...

P.S.
(He used kung-fu against computer viruses in Johnny Mnemonic, so why not.)

Edited by kerbiloid

3 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

So, Matrix is an action??
I was sure, it's an office sitcom about a programmer using king-fu in GUI development...

P.S.
(He used kung-fu against computer viruses in Johnny Mnemonic, so why not.)

lol yeah maybe its just "Office Space" but filmed from a different perspective :D

Or maybe its the movie of the 1-second between me clicking the "start" button and the menu opening up.

Or its GOTH:TRON (omg that combo fits so well its scary)

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

The people I find ridiculous are the ones who try to make it into something more.

Indeed. Its fun, and interesting, to come up with speculative theories, but if there was no overarching concept written into the story, there just isnt one there, so arguing that one interpretation is right and another wrong is meaningless. Its not an artistic flourish (leaving interpretation solely to the viewer) that I particularly like, but thats "art" for you. Maybe its the only way to write this kind of story.

I do think it is better than just the sum of its fight sequences though - the art direction, the atmosphere, the way it perfectly plugged into the particular flavour of 90's teenage angst, that soundtrack...

And now, things that were 20 years old when the Matrix first released:

Apocalypse Now

Alien

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

Mad Max 1

Rocky II

Star Trek the Motion Picture

Definitely at least in terms of films talked about after 20 years, The Matrix is in very good company.

**edit**

omg I just realised that that episode of Rick&Morty is about the matrix...

Edited by p1t1o
its not "Buck Rogers in the 15th Century"

In zombie movies the zombies are usually heading to the source of a loud sound.
So, when characters are speaking loudly or making other noises, the zombies gather around.

But isn't that a positive loopback system?
Isn't the crowd of zombies getting louder with every next zombie arriving?
Doesn't the noise of the crowd supress any other sound from outside?

So, the zombies should keep increasingly concentrating into huge crowds.
And as every zombie on its periphery would hear only the the crowd, he/she/it would be walking radially to the center, and climbing on top of the zombie hill.
So, the zombies would mostly eliminate themselves automatically.

14 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

So, when characters are speaking loudly or making other noises, the zombies gather around.

And as every zombie on its periphery would hear only the the crowd, he/she/it would be walking radially to the center, and climbing on top of the zombie hill.

Of course. This keeps the zombie population at a stable level so that zombie movies are perpetually viable.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Zombie movies. As one guy I read once put it: "Do you remember that time that a dog in Ohio caught rabies and by the end of the week EVERY DOG IN AMERICA HAD RABIES! Yeah, neither do I."

5 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Zombie movies. As one guy I read once put it: "Do you remember that time that a dog in Ohio caught rabies and by the end of the week EVERY DOG IN AMERICA HAD RABIES! Yeah, neither do I."

Dogs rarely leave their homes very far, let alone board trains or planes regularly. Also zombies do not keep a somewhat polite distance like flu patients might - quite the opposite realy.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Interestingly, sharks feed like this. Shark smells blood, attacks, makes more blood, draws more sharks, which - in frenzy - attack nearby animals, more blood, more sharks.

But zombies dont just "make noise", they make noise when attacking but otherwise are fairly non verbal. Note that a wandering zombie doesnt attack or chase another wadering zombie, it seems they can tell "zombie shuffle" from "human voices".

So, when a sound source attract zombie, they attack, and that noise attract zombies which attack and so on. 

But there will come a point where the prey is caught or chased away (or otherwise no longer making noise) so who is making noise now. At some point, the attacking zombies at the back of the crowd will notice that they are no longer hearing prey but only zombie shuffle. Crowd dissipates.

Further, zombies dont eat you, they infect you and move on (they dont even eat brains, thats just a myth, otherwise "destroying the brain" would not kill them) so prey animals are very rapidly converted by a feeding frenzy, limiting time for large crowds to be attracted.

15 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Dog rabies epidemic is naturally resisted by human infrastructure, distance between dogs and the fact that rabies doesnt make dogs actively seek out other dogs to bite. Zombies eat human infrastructure, are highly motivated to spread their disease (and do so using a degree of intelligence far beneath a live human, but with a low animal cunning) and they (and their prey) are far more numerous. Also there is a vaccine for rabies.

Spoiler

Obviously there are still...issues...with zombie theory. Such as matabolic energy needs. I was just having fun, I dont want to get sucked into an intense debate over the specific activity of a zombie virii :D

A dog with rabies doesnt go "Ugh, man I feel a bit under the weather, but Im fine I swear, I can still make it to the ball game! NO I HAVNT BEEN BITTEN BY ANYTHING why do you ask?" 

Edited by p1t1o

Looks like the rabies doesn't make the animal to attack, it makes it to defend.

It just feels like consists of bare nerves, and any movement of air, water, light, or sound insults it and makes to counter-attack.

For the same reason it can't stay at one place, as it is under attack everywhere. It runs from, not to.
But when it approaches to somebody, this somebody causes new portion of nervous insulting, and it desperately defends.

Edited by kerbiloid

I think I mentioned it once before a long time ago, but Id like to see a reverse zombie movie.

Movie starts with planet fully zombified.

One zombie notices a patch of flesh is turning pink and unusually smooth, starts freaking out, spreads it via contact to nearby zombies.

Fully humanned zombie are terrified and freaking out, much faster and stronger than zombies, cause havoc among the population.

Zombies congregate to attempt to re-zombify, it doesnt work, are attacked by humans slowly coming to terms with situation.

The human disease spreads.

Plot follows from there. I think theres a lot to work with.

It would be the equivalent of a normal human population suffering from an epidemic that causes extreme aggression along with super-speed, super-strength, increases resistance to physical damage and vastly increased intellect.

Scarier than zombies by a long chalk!

Edited by p1t1o

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I'm pretty sure it's been well proven that any scenario can pretty much fit with a zombie movie.

Prehistoric zombies