Shower thoughts

p1t1o

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

When you have a read about space projects, almost all of them look like this picture.
No exclusions...

Hide contents

tree-swing-s-hogh.jpg

Been reading a little about Project Orion since that KSP2 announcement, and it fits that first panel exactly. "Yeah, you can SSTO to Mars!" "Ok, but SSTOing nukes will cause massive fallout on Earth's surface..."

• 2 weeks later...

(Watching Missions, s01e01).

During EVA in Martian orbit, they have lost a crewmember, thrown back from the ship.
Ok, this would not be a problem in LEO, as his orbit would decay in months, maybe in a couple of years.
But the near-Mars air drag is much weaker. It would be orbiting in a very close orbit and may hit the ship a hundred turns later.

Suggestion. Martian ships should be equipped with laser turrets to shoot down the lost crewmembers.

Edited by kerbiloid

20 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Powered landings are really just controlled lithobrakings, since you still gotta use the surface to stop

Not necessarily. If you control throttle with enough precision, you can come to a stop above the ground (otherwise known as a hover).

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

Not necessarily. If you control throttle with enough precision, you can come to a stop above the ground (otherwise known as a hover).

You gonna hover for the entire mission? Still, it's not a landing unless you touch the ground, thus making the lithobraking mandatory

1 minute ago, Aperture Science said:

You gonna hover for the entire mission? Still, it's not a landing unless you touch the ground, thus making the lithobraking mandatory

Well, fair enough. But if you touch the ground with a velocity of 0.1 m/s, I don’t think that’s enough to constitute ‘lithobraking’.

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

Well, fair enough. But if you touch the ground with a velocity of 0.1 m/s, I don’t think that’s enough to constitute ‘lithobraking’.

Still, the force that's going to stop you is coming from the ground, it's lithobraking

1 minute ago, Aperture Science said:

Still, the force that's going to stop you is coming from the ground, it's lithobraking

I had always assumed that the word ‘lithobraking’ implied a high speed impact but it appears to just be ‘deceleration of a falling object due to impact with the ground’. This means that an impact of any speed could be counted as lithobraking, so I guess you’re right :)

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

This means that an impact of any speed could be counted as lithobraking, so I guess you’re right :)

"A lithobraking you can walk from is a good lithobraking. A lithobraking followed by a takeoff from the same craft is an excellent lithobraking". -- Chuck Yeag... Kerman.

Edited by Lisias
Kraken damned auto-completes. :(

21 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Powered landings are really just controlled lithobrakings, since you still gotta use the surface to stop

What if the powered landing is in water, or on a ship, as SpaceX does?  That would not be lithobreaking.

6 hours ago, GearsNSuch said:

One might say all of it is unintelligent. 

You do realize that includes you, right? It really ticks me off when people insult humanity - as if they're not part of it.

On 9/8/2019 at 9:48 PM, cubinator said:

My keys wouldn't work in a mirror dimension...

If both keys and locks are mirrored, I think they'd work seeing as it would "cancel out"

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, TheSaint said:

But most of it is unintelligent.

And sometimes drunk.

23 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:
6 hours ago, GearsNSuch said:

One might say all of it is unintelligent. 

You do realize that includes you, right?

Self-irony is a sure sign of intelligent life.

If two cloaked persons are standing against each other and exchanging with fireballs, the passers-by will:
1) in a real world - gather to watch
2) in a fantasy world - run away to not catch

A threshold of reality...

Edited by kerbiloid

5 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

You do realize that includes you, right? It really ticks me off when people insult humanity - as if they're not part of it.

My generalization may have been hasty as it was drawn from a small sample, the living organisms that I can see right now. Also, do you know how hard it is to type with your eyes closed?

Spoiler

Also, to come across as a life form with a nose perpetually held forty five degrees above the horizon and an incapability to understand who is included in “all” statements was part of the effect, albeit not well stated. (Take the previous sentence, for example)

It’s difficult to communicate tone electronically.

Edited by GearsNSuch

If take an Orion nuke spaceship and a warlock/sorcerer/mage, and attach the latter to the pusher plate, then he can:
1. Cast Stone Arrow to send a piece of stone back.
2. Cast Fireball or Fire Bolt into the stone arrow to vaporize it from the nearest end.
3. Cast Prismatic Shield to reflect the plasma jet.
4. Cast Steel Body (or so) to survive the impact.
5. Cast Frost on himself for cooling.
6. Heak and feed himself with Healing and Make Food.

Actually, he doesn't need the push plate, so the ship can be much lighter.

Nice to have a magic.

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

If take an Orion nuke spaceship and a warlock/sorcerer/mage, and attach the latter to the pusher plate, then he can:
1. Cast Stone Arrow to send a piece of stone back.
2. Cast Fireball or Fire Bolt into the stone arrow to vaporize it from the nearest end.
3. Cast Prismatic Shield to reflect the plasma jet.
4. Cast Steel Body (or so) to survive the impact.
5. Cast Frost on himself for cooling.
6. Heak and feed himself with Healing and Make Food.

Actually, he doesn't need the push plate, so the ship can be much lighter.

Nice to have a magic.

Ah yes, just need a mage to repeatedly cast the "Tiltowaite!" spell at the pusher plate.... (from the ancient RPG  Wizardry, which I played on the Apple II)