Shower thoughts

p1t1o

3 hours ago, WestAir said:

Clone. But what if whenever you died they used your physical remains to rebuild you? Used your brain as the material to rebuild it with the same roadmap, etc...

Would THAT person be you, or a clone?

A clone, thinking he's you.

Not more than biting your lips or another piece of dry skin.

Also, licking a scratch on the hand makes you a bloodsucking beast.

First you lick your own scratched hand, then you start hunting lesser creatures, and suddenly you realize that you can't sleep in the night and the sunlight is hurting

Edited by kerbiloid

I've been thinking about KSP 2 and how landing on Rask/Rusk would actually be simpler the closer you are to the barycenter since the other body is pulling you towards itself as well. That (somehow) got me thinking about orbits around binary systems in general, and now I want to figure out if it is possible to orbit such a binary pair in a figure 8 pattern. I know it's possible if the bodies were stationary, but I guess them orbiting each other as well makes it impossible?

Edited by Delay

3 hours ago, Delay said:

I've been thinking about KSP 2 and how landing on Rask/Rusk would actually be simpler the closer you are to the barycenter since the other body is pulling you towards itself as well. That (somehow) got me thinking about orbits around binary systems in general, and now I want to figure out if it is possible to orbit such a binary pair in a figure 8 pattern. I know it's possible if the bodies were stationary, but I guess them orbiting each other as well makes it impossible?

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/31201/might-a-planet-perform-figure-8-orbits-around-two-stars

Watching the movies about various police. swat, etc.

Their famous belts.

Spoiler

New-Type-Police-Duty-Belt-with-Oxford-Cl

Aren't they themselves feeling (word filter: totally exhausted) carrying all this bundle on the belt?
Anyway they can't hold it hands more than two things effectively.

Why do they hold a pistol and a flashlight in two crossed hands like special ninjas making kungfu gestures?

Why would they not make a two-handed multitool: a submachine-gun with flashlight, radio, and hollow handle with a drink inside (like in old good times).
It could be always in hands, ready for any purpose.

Also the police token on top.
So, instead of first taking and showing the token, then taking out the pistol, they could just show at once the tokenized multitool, so it's much faster and clearer: whose is the smg, he's the police.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 8/29/2020 at 12:34 AM, kerbiloid said:

Watching the movies about various police. swat, etc.

Their famous belts.

Hide contents

New-Type-Police-Duty-Belt-with-Oxford-Cl

Aren't they themselves feeling (word filter: totally exhausted) carrying all this bundle on the belt?
Anyway they can't hold it hands more than two things effectively.

Why do they hold a pistol and a flashlight in two crossed hands like special ninjas making kungfu gestures?

Why would they not make a two-handed multitool: a submachine-gun with flashlight, radio, and hollow handle with a drink inside (like in old good times).
It could be always in hands, ready for any purpose.

Also the police token on top.
So, instead of first taking and showing the token, then taking out the pistol, they could just show at once the tokenized multitool, so it's much faster and clearer: whose is the smg, he's the police.

One of my old friends back in California is actually on the LAPD SWAT team. I heard him once say that the usefulness of a new police recruit was inversely proportional to the amount of stuff he had on his belt when he showed up to his first shift.

47 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I heard him once say that the usefulness of a new police recruit was inversely proportional to the amount of stuff he had on his belt when he showed up to his first shift.

What he needs, he should get in battle...

Edited by kerbiloid

This strange caption in various documents: "This page intentionally left blank."

Where do they see that it's left blank when it's filled with the caption saying that this page intentionally left blank?!

If they are payed for the page count, and need to leave blank pages for cheating, why not just write "to be continued" or "see the next page".

Kinda: "Hey, are you sleeping?!"
The only answer is "No!"

Edited by kerbiloid

You know, I bet a lot of people would say that trying to solve Rubik's cubes would be a terrible activity for a migraine, but I've found that speedsolving actually reduces the duration of my numbness, vision problems, and headache by 80-90%. Instead of being out of commission for a whole rotation of Earth, I merely have a committment to napping for about four hours.

Edited by cubinator

On 9/4/2020 at 2:43 PM, cubinator said:

You know, I bet a lot of people would say that trying to solve Rubik's cubes would be a terrible activity for a migraine, but I've found that speedsolving actually reduces the duration of my numbness, vision problems, and headache by 80-90%. Instead of being out of commission for a whole rotation of Earth, I merely have a committment to napping for about four hours.

I've had a visual migraine once, thought I was going blind. not fun

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Aperture Science said:

I've had an ocular migraine once, thought I was going blind. not fun

I get acephalgic migraines (migraines without the headache) I'd say about every two to three weeks. Lasts about twenty minutes. Scintillating scotoma, nausea. Mostly just a nuisance, unless it happens while I'm driving, then I usually just pull over. And, yeah, first time it happened (which was about 13 years ago now) I thought I was having a stroke or something. Scared the crap out of me.

4 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

I've had an ocular migraine once, thought I was going blind. not fun

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

I get the full package when I have them. I'm glad it's infrequent, at least. 

3 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I get acephalgic migraines (migraines without the headache) I'd say about every two to three weeks. Lasts about twenty minutes. Scintillating scotoma, nausea. Mostly just a nuisance, unless it happens while I'm driving, then I usually just pull over. And, yeah, first time it happened (which was about 13 years ago now) I thought I was having a stroke or something. Scared the crap out of me.

I have been diagnosed with chronic hemiplegic migraines. When I do something, I do it well...

It's reached the point in life where it is seriously easier to count my pain-free days than the days affected by migraines. Yes, I am still fully employed but there are triggers I cannot avoid and as I get older, I just find it harder to cope with. Perfumes, aftershaves, and colognes, certain cleaning products and air fresheners, and these new LED lights in all the classrooms and lecture halls do not help.

I'm tired all the time, I fight depression caused by the duration of the migraines (on average, about four days in duration), and discovered when I hit 45 I could actually have two migraines - one on the left and one on the right side of the brain at the same time. I have anywhere from seven to ten migraines a month. I am also allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen which means I cannot take nearly 3/4 of currently prescribed migraine medications. 

Sorry if I became a downer in this conversation. :(

As of Wednesday, earlier this week, I had heard of the 'Kraken drive', only sporadically, for five plus years...  had little idea of what it was except that it was 'Born in Ignominy'.  Kinda proud I had no idea how it worked -- and was not interested, dammit.

Watched a video.  Just one video.  'Zombi' something.  The foot in the proverbial door.

Thursday morning, I knew what I wanted to do.  I never stay up past 11 pm.  This night, I did.  3 am.  On a work night.

We (the human species: individually or collectively, it's all the same) made some kind of laughable mistake, a stupid oversight (as we do).

"Unbalanced forces".  "Computers stupidly obey us, even when we are even more stupidly clueless".  "Violation of Newton's Third Law: 3 demerit points, 4 weeks to pay the large, bold-font amount stated below".  "Read the fine print for how to arrange a court appearance."

Now that I've had some experience operating an actual 'Kraken drive', I have begun to wonder.  It doesn't seem to act as a solitary violation of physics.  It's more akin to a small legion of devilish abuses working in concert:

• capped, below some mystical (& variable) altitude
  • provoked to go berserker when attitude is kept stable
  • likely to remain stable once stable unless disturbed
  • and many others too numerous and too unknown/unproven/worthless to mention

I find myself on the verge of reaching two catastrophic conclusions (and thus have come to 'Shower Thoughts' to share the damage)!

1. this is no mere late-night coding blooper (two such accidents in a row; first, landing gear and, now, magnetic docking: "I hardly think so"...); this is intentional by some dark hacker, code-named 'Kraken'; THIS is an ... 'Easter egg'
  2. more than that: THIS is, ahem, 'Intelligent Design[tm]'.

Aha!  There.  I've said it.  THIS, was meant to be used.  And; therefore; the Apocalpyse.  I personally will now, in one month, achieve in KSP with this Zombie spawn, everything I had thought would take me the rest of my life...

Ergo:

GAME OVER

:):)

Edited by Hotel26

On 8/30/2020 at 11:20 PM, TheSaint said:

One of my old friends back in California is actually on the LAPD SWAT team. I heard him once say that the usefulness of a new police recruit was inversely proportional to the amount of stuff he had on his belt when he showed up to his first shift.

As a Medic Training Officer, I found this to be very true.  New medics always had all this extra crap on their belt.