Shower thoughts

p1t1o

On 12/4/2021 at 1:20 AM, Hyperspace Industries said:

Why don’t animals get grey hair?

They do. (I am living proof.)

Seriously though, dogs, bears, gorillas and more all get grey hair when they get old enough.

Since XVIII the high society was having a rest and a healing at a spa, drinking mineral water of various sorts.

Does it actually work?

Yes.

When you have drunk 2 liters of the mineral water, and after that pour in a glass of vodka (200 ml, 40%), the alcohol solution inside from 40% gets just ~4% concentrated.
Like a weak beer, but without the beer impurities. And with already dissolved soda against the heart burn.

So, having a rest at a spa, in a good company, with mineral water and vodka, means drinking 2 liters of beer with soda, instead of drinking 2 liters of vodka (because the stomach is already full up with the water, and the excess of vodka just flows out due to no room inside).

Understanding that, can we say that the mineral water works?
Yes. It worked then and works now. It leaves no room (literally) for alcoholism for two weeks, which is not so little.

Edited by kerbiloid

On 12/3/2021 at 9:20 AM, Hyperspace Industries said:

Why don’t animals get grey hair?

I assume you mean "other than humans" :D

The question you should ask is "Why DO humans get grey hair?" and my proposed answer is "we lived way past the age we would normally naturally die."

As was mentioned, many animals do in fact get grey hair. Most notably for me, my Dog had very obvious grey hair before he passed at a pretty decent old age for a dog.

The Married Gamer's Drinking Game!:

Pour yourself a drink, then start playing your vurrent favorite game. You generally won't have time to drink much. But every time your wife makes you pause it, and leave the PC/console/whatever, have a big slug...

Bonus points if you can convince your wife to play the alternate version of forcing you to pause for a shot of tekillya...

Now excuse me while I go back to shipbreaking...

Edited by StrandedonEarth

55 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The Married Gamer's Drinking Game!:

Pour yourself a drink, then start playing your vurrent favorite game. You generally won't have time to drink much. But every time your wife makes you pause it, and leave the PC/console/whatever, have a big slug...

Bonus points if you can convince your wife to play the alternate version of forcing you to pause for a shot of tekillya...

Now excuse me while I go back to shipbreaking...

But, you see, I have this licked. I set up my gaming PC with the monitor on the end table next to our couch. So our night is: Me playing game. Wife watching TV. Me sipping drink. Wife sipping drink. Me pausing to comment on wife's TV show. Me playing game. Wife commenting on my game play. More drink sipping, game play, TV watching, etc. It's video games, TV, and marital bliss, all wrapped up in one awesome package. I highly recommend it. :)

50 minutes ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Its quite simple really, its getting the stuff up there that's the hard part.

I have cracked the secret on space.

Everyone thinks it's about going really high. But the secret is actually going really fast.

1 hour ago, Admiral Fluffy said:

Its quite simple really, its getting the stuff up there that's the hard part.

I have cracked the secret on space.

39 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Everyone thinks it's about going really high. But the secret is actually going really fast.

Altitude is not even a requirement. When I first began playing the game, I really thought altitude and speed were the two big things. You can have a really high altitude but yet still have nothing but a sub-orbital trajectory. This took me a long time to understand. Remember, I have a Ph.D. in history and nearly all my science courses as an undergraduate are biology based because of my anthropology minor (it's one of three minors). I had to do some research and discovered that it was speed plus degree of launch that was the secret to getting stuff into orbit and beyond. NASA's websites and watching a lot of Scott Manley's YouTube videos became a frequent thing to understand the basics of rocket design and launch window/launch trajectory planning. I even installed MechJeb2 to watch how it did launches and orbit burns to better understand how to circularize orbits.

In the early days of KSP, there was also a huge forum explosion over to start a gravity assist turn at 10,000 meters or wait until 68,000 meters, with some even advocating not doing a circularization maneuver until after 72,000 meters. For me, it depends on what my target orbit is (my go-to is around 125,000 to 135,000 meters) and I begin my gravity assist at 8,750 meters. This allows my first stage to drop safely over the ocean with little chance of it hitting the launch pad of the KSC and means my second stage places me right where I want to be - between 125,000 and 135,000 meters. But hey, the great thing about KSP is there's no right way or wrong way, just as long as your way works!

Speed is also another variable that can be overrated. I've had rockets that were able to achieve orbit and never accelerate faster than 275 m/s until they reached 65,000 meters. I've had others that I began seeing the red plasma effects because the speed increased to 985 m/s at 27,000 meters per second.  Going faster than you absolutely need to go to put something into orbit "because you can" is actually wasting resources and isn't the best idea.

1 hour ago, adsii1970 said:

Altitude is not even a requirement. When I first began playing the game, I really thought altitude and speed were the two big things. You can have a really high altitude but yet still have nothing but a sub-orbital trajectory. This took me a long time to understand. Remember, I have a Ph.D. in history and nearly all my science courses as an undergraduate are biology based because of my anthropology minor (it's one of three minors). I had to do some research and discovered that it was speed plus degree of launch that was the secret to getting stuff into orbit and beyond. NASA's websites and watching a lot of Scott Manley's YouTube videos became a frequent thing to understand the basics of rocket design and launch window/launch trajectory planning. I even installed MechJeb2 to watch how it did launches and orbit burns to better understand how to circularize orbits.

In the early days of KSP, there was also a huge forum explosion over to start a gravity assist turn at 10,000 meters or wait until 68,000 meters, with some even advocating not doing a circularization maneuver until after 72,000 meters. For me, it depends on what my target orbit is (my go-to is around 125,000 to 135,000 meters) and I begin my gravity assist at 8,750 meters. This allows my first stage to drop safely over the ocean with little chance of it hitting the launch pad of the KSC and means my second stage places me right where I want to be - between 125,000 and 135,000 meters. But hey, the great thing about KSP is there's no right way or wrong way, just as long as your way works!

Speed is also another variable that can be overrated. I've had rockets that were able to achieve orbit and never accelerate faster than 275 m/s until they reached 65,000 meters. I've had others that I began seeing the red plasma effects because the speed increased to 985 m/s at 27,000 meters per second.  Going faster than you absolutely need to go to put something into orbit "because you can" is actually wasting resources and isn't the best idea.

I played a lot of Orbiter back before I had ever even heard of KSP. I got most of my frustration out of the way back then. ;):D I do still find it amusing how many people think that getting into orbit is  about getting your spacecraft to 200 miles up and then...just hanging there with no visible means of support. :huh:

Personally I'm a big fan of the gravity turn, I start leaning over almost as soon as the rocket is off the pad and gradually bring it around to horizontal around 30,000 meters. But these days I've been obsessed with spaceplanes and reusables, and they're all wacky.

16 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

I played a lot of Orbiter back before I had ever even heard of KSP. I got most of my frustration out of the way back then. ;):D I do still find it amusing how many people think that getting into orbit is  about getting your spacecraft to 200 miles up and then...just hanging there with no visible means of support.

Remember Microsoft Space Simulator? That thing was a freaking nightmare! The shuttle was wonky at best. I never could figure out how it won so many awards; I could launch okay but the tutorial about orbit and landing absolutely sucked. The Apollo command module and lunar lander were fun, and rendezvous were a bit challenging, though.

19 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Personally I'm a big fan of the gravity turn, I start leaning over almost as soon as the rocket is off the pad and gradually bring it around to horizontal around 30,000 meters. But these days I've been obsessed with spaceplanes and reusables, and they're all wacky.

Yeah, I normally stick to my 8,750 mark to begin mine. It puts me at a safe spot to get rid of the first stage without hitting the KSC.

I've been playing with shuttles and SSTOs here lately, too. Also been designing some larger craft that require some unique launch profiles to get into orbit.

I will say one thing about KSP - and what it has taught me about spaceflight. All of those sci-fi movies we watched with large spacecraft entering and leaving planet surfaces - hahaha! Not without some sort of sci-fi wizardry! I've shared some of the craft I've launched in other threads and let's just say it takes a lot of effort to get them into space - and when they do get into orbit, the tanks are bone-dry.

I lean over based on speed, not height. Not enough speed and your rocket decides it is going to tumble no matter how good your RCS or control surfaces are. Would really like picture in picture that shows you how your arc is going while you are keeping control in atmosphere. Too many times have I been concentrating on periapsis only to find I am flinging myself into an extreme apoapsis.

2 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Would really like picture in picture that shows you how your arc is going while you are keeping control in atmosphere

9 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

*grumblegrumbledualscreenwmapmodewouldbegreatgrumbke*

… old wish

Or dual monitor support that would allow you to see real-time tracking telemetry. I can't tell you how helpful that would be. But yeah, something would be nice.

56 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Or dual monitor support that would allow you to see real-time tracking telemetry. I can't tell you how helpful that would be. But yeah, something would be nice.

Oh, honey, I need to buy a second monitor. Yes, I said need. Can't hear you, la-la-la, love you, be right back....