Shower thoughts

p1t1o

Why does my microwave have a button dedicated to setting the clock to am and pm? In addition to the button dedicated to setting the clock? How often does that come up, that it is more important than ... anything else? Like a +30 seconds button. For example.

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Pricing Psychology.

Most people see "14 and something", instead of "almost 15". And since 14 is smaller than 15, they bite.

I recommend exercising discretion on reading the following site, where this subject is explored:

https://www.nickkolenda.com/psychological-pricing-strategies/

The first time I had learnt about Pricing Psychology, I got angry for days. :P 

I wish Starlink had bumped monthly fee from $99 to $109 instead of to $110.  Bad marketing and I pay a buck more.  But better than $119 I suppose.  Still, it feels twice wrong.  But happy I got the user terminal at the previous price.

Edited by darthgently

The pricing psychology is good, and the false economy of "saved 2 cents" is understandable...

... but looks weird when
1) the shop price doesn't include taxes ("$1498 + tax");
2) they anyway give tips like "10%" to the waiters, taxi drivers, etc.

Turning the actual sum into a random mess.

2 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

Why does my microwave have a button dedicated to setting the clock to am and pm?

To prevent you from eating breakfast in the evening.

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

I wish <...> had bumped monthly fee from $99 to $109 instead of to $110.

I see the 110 just being honest, rather than trying to fool the customer.

9 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

I see the 110 just being honest, rather than trying to fool the customer.

Well, ok, but 109 would have been a dollar less.  So I'm sure you see my POV, lol.  I don't think mentioned anything about "fooling the customer"

Edited by darthgently

Having the price a few cents lower also encouraged the naive to by multiples in order to save what seemed like a greater amount.

@kerbiloid Based on your second spoiler inside the other spoiler for the hand signs for Roman Numerals.

I got your nose.
;p

6 hours ago, razark said:

I wasn't that great at high school Latin, but something seems a bit off there.

@razark, Thanks for pointing it out. :blush: 

It's been a long week and I typed and sent without proofreading. And you're quite correct.  XV is 15, not 25. I've edited the post. Thanks for keeping me straight. :cool:

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

To prevent you from eating breakfast in the evening.

Ha. Breakfast foods are my favorite! I don't care if the clock says a.m. or p.m., if the sun is up or it's the middle of night! 

There's something about breakfast foods that rock! No, not talking about cereal. Put away that box of corn flakes - that's horse feed. I'm talking pancakes, maybe an egg omelette with ham, mushrooms, sharp Wisconsin white cheddar, onions, tomato, biscuits and sausage gravy...

34 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Breakfast foods are my favorite! I don't care if the clock says a.m. or p.m., if the sun is up or it's the middle of night! 

Breakfast  < break + fast, a fast break.

When you already have woken up, what does it break? Nothing. The sleeping is over, the work did not yet begin.

But when you stand up in the night to eat, and then go to bed again, it's the etymologically proper breakfast. A fast break in the sleeping session.

Edited by kerbiloid

35 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Overheard at the breakfast table this morning: "Every time you waste real maple syrup, a Canadian kitten dies."

Waiting for confirmation on this from @StrandedonEarth.

Well, I haven't heard of that one before, but maybe that explains why my cat Malibu (~4 yo, not a kitten but in his prime) died of unknown causes last summer.

Vermont kittens may be at risk too...

The current adolescent kitty, Gilligan, is still doing fine, finding new places to perch. But let's not push our luck, 'k?

Edited by StrandedonEarth

On 2/6/2022 at 9:18 AM, StrandedonEarth said:

If you watch a baby feed itself in a high chair, you’d realize babies actually absorb nutrition by osmosis….

Was digging through old pics for another thread, found some prime examples...

Spoiler

zgzmTxV.jpg

May have overdone it...

DzleIHI.jpg

15 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

It's not uncommon to have millennials be grand parents now. 

Bruh Kongregate's updates are garbage" | Fandom
When you get old enough is it just living past the warranty? isn't the "warranty" in question your mid/late 20's since that was a humans average lifespan back before civilization?

Or is your warranty when you can't reproduce? I've heard of some animals who's groups abandoned them to die after they could no longer have children.

And is there a warranty on your mind? of course your brain rots over time but the mind inside of it could probably last longer if your aging brain didn't destroy it.

8 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Or is your warranty when you can't reproduce? I've heard of some animals who's groups abandoned them to die after they could no longer have children.

Based on the related equipment defenseless location, it's not a warranty, but a temporary pass.

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTqVI8Mxb4DFKmpG-JUlE

Thank you, Nature, you like us!

Though, afair, the cancer diseases are most common in both pre-reproductive age (blood diseases) and post-reproductive (epithelic ones), and the post-finish hormonal shift increases their frequency by the metabolism disbalance.

(Thus the Nature tries to remove the less healthy ones from the reproduction and food consuming.
The intermediate age ones are relatively balanced and protected.)

Actually, a multicellular organism is a colony which tends to act like monocellulars being disbalanced.

Edited by kerbiloid

If Europa is Europe in Spanish (And German, too), then what is Europa in Spanish, as in the moon? Can Yo voy a Europa could mean I'm going to Europe as well as I'm going to Europa?  Is it a homonym where you need to use context, like crayon in French meaning both crayon and pencil, or crane in English meaning both a bird and what is in my PFP?