[1.12.x] Launch Numbering Templated

@Damien_The_Unbeliever wrote this really neat little mod to number your launches;  original thread is here:  https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/138725-130-launch-numbering-040/&

I've contacted him, and he is currently unable to do anything with the mod.  So, I've adopted this mod.

The new version for KSP 1.4.1 has new dependencies

New Dependencies

CKAN has been updated to install the dependencies, if needed.

Launch Numbering is a very simple mod - with one job to do.

Every time you launch a vehicle, the mod examines the name. If it's seen that name launch before, it appends a number on the end. So, if you launch the same vehicle 4 times, they should all be uniquely named.

In game settings, you'll find options on whether we use Arabic or Roman numerals, and whether we show Bloc numbers (wherein we try to identify "variants" of the vessel, in terms of its structure, and show it as a different Bloc).

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Is there an option for Hex numbering system? ;)

*I'll get my coat*

I'd yell at you for taking on another mod, but since you had this one already in your stable, I'll let it slide this time.   Thanks for everything. 

8 hours ago, Wyzard said:

FWIW, Project Manager does something similar, though with a different way of deriving the launch name from the craft name.

Project Manager is good, but uses a totally different method of grouping ships.

This one looks at the ship parts, Project Manager uses the ship name

8 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Is there an option for Hex numbering system? ;)

you WANT hex numbering?

Regarding the discussion which was in the previous thread, I'm thinking along these lines:

• In the template, specify the number of stages the template should apply to.  So, for example, it can use the first three stages of a 4 or 5 stage rocket to use for the rocket's signature, and anything beyond that would not be used.  This is somewhat problematic, since this mod is currently designed to use a single template.  But,...
  • Have a number of usable templates.  Somehow decide a method to automatically select a template based on certain criteria.  For example, a manned template if there is crew capacity on board, an unmanned template if not
  • Small parts would not be counted.  Small would be defined by weight, not size.  

I don't want to put too much work into this mod, there is Project Manager which works nicely, as well as I'm thinking of taking  PDPN and reworking it to only provide a single ship name.  It has a much more extensive templating system

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

you WANT hex numbering? 

No No! Was joke!

Been there, Myros-08, Myros-09, Myros-0A, whoa wait what?  

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Regarding the discussion which was in the previous thread, I'm thinking along these lines:

• In the template, specify the number of stages the template should apply to.  So, for example, it can use the first three stages of a 4 or 5 stage rocket to use for the rocket's signature, and anything beyond that would not be used.  This is somewhat problematic, since this mod is currently designed to use a single template.  But,...
  • Have a number of usable templates.  Somehow decide a method to automatically select a template based on certain criteria.  For example, a manned template if there is crew capacity on board, an unmanned template if not
  • Small parts would not be counted.  Small would be defined by weight, not size.  

I don't think it needs to be overly complicated.  Maybe instead of automating anything, it will just detect a change from a previous design, and have a pop up that offers three choices:

1) Reset numbering to 1

2) Continue on with launch number X

3) Add a block number to this design. 

That way the workload isn't on your shoulders, the player isn't trying to work under some constraint before tripping an arbitrary limit, and they get to choose how they want to proceed.  I'm ok with a mod like this being slightly intrusive if it needs clarification on how to function as I want it to.  

Edited by Gargamel

On 5/8/2018 at 3:00 AM, Gargamel said:

I don't think it needs to be overly complicated.  Maybe instead of automating anything, it will just detect a change from a previous design, and have a pop up that offers three choices:

If a change is detected, any change, then this would give a popup.  which would mean that for almost every launch, you would be getting a popup.   This is not realistic, I'd at least like to be able to differentiate between insignificant and significant changes.

At the very least, I'd want to define a part weight/size, below which the part wouldn't be counted as part of the unique identifiers of the craft

Is this mod likely to work with Kerbal Construction Time ?  (Just in case you aren't aware KCT overrides the launch button in the VAB, and has its own launch button after construction is finished).

Personally I think just tracking the name, and adding/incrementing a number if I've used the same name before would be good enough.  So if my first Mun lander is a 1.25m design, and the second Mum lander is a 2.5m design (ie completely different design with the 2.5m design using a 2.5m command pod as well as a 2.5m booster), then if I've used the same name, I'm happy for the second launcher to be numbered Mun lander 2.  If I want a different name, then I can change the name or add the block number myself. 

1 hour ago, AVaughan said:

Is this mod likely to work with Kerbal Construction Time ?  (Just in case you aren't aware KCT overrides the launch button in the VAB, and has its own launch button after construction is finished).

Personally I think just tracking the name, and adding/incrementing a number if I've used the same name before would be good enough.  So if my first Mun lander is a 1.25m design, and the second Mum lander is a 2.5m design (ie completely different design with the 2.5m design using a 2.5m command pod as well as a 2.5m booster), then if I've used the same name, I'm happy for the second launcher to be numbered Mun lander 2.  If I want a different name, then I can change the name or add the block number myself. 

I added this as an enhancement request

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I added this as an enhancement request

Thanks for that.

A quick follow up regarding compatibility of this mod and Kerbal Construction Time.  I've only played a bit since I installed this, but they do seem to be compatible.  One thing that might lead someone to think things aren't working is that vessels seem to get their new name when they spawn on the launchpad, so you can easily have 3 satellites named the same in KCT's construction queue.  (KCT also offers functionality to rename vessels during construction/rollout.  I haven't got around to testing how that interacts with launch numbering).  

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not suggesting that renaming needs to be changed to work better with KCT, just that it is something to be aware of if anyone wonders about compatibility between this mod and KCT.

Edited by AVaughan

One thing.

It seems that the template is hardcoded somehow. Everytime I launch the game I have to select it again. I have changed the template file and modified the default one to teh one I loke (I prefer MK instead of bloc), but It never reads it by defauls and goes back to bloc unless I manually select it.

Other than that: great work keeping this alive.

7 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

One thing.

It seems that the template is hardcoded somehow. Everytime I launch the game I have to select it again. I have changed the template file and modified the default one to teh one I loke (I prefer MK instead of bloc), but It never reads it by defauls and goes back to bloc unless I manually select it.

Other than that: great work keeping this alive.

I see.  Ok, slight bug, I'll get it fixed, but may take a few days.

It assumes that the default template is never changed.  I'll have to change that, as well as putting in a way to save your preferred template.

New release, 0.5.1

• Sets the selected template from the file instead of using hard-coded version
  • Added method to save selected default template
  • Added method to read selected default template
  • Added code to only use launchNumbers if no blocNumber in selected template
  • Added additional templates

This both fixes the bug reported by @KaiserSoze, and added the enhancement requested by @AVaughan

On 5/11/2018 at 9:43 AM, AVaughan said:

something has changed in this version. I cannot acces the options and I have lost the icon for it (cannot see it it in stock of toolbar).

It could be that I have a LOT of mods, but previus version works fine (except the previous bug). 

1 hour ago, KaiserSoze said:

something has changed in this version. I cannot acces the options and I have lost the icon for it (cannot see it it in stock of toolbar).

It could be that I have a LOT of mods, but previus version works fine (except the previous bug). 

Downgrade the ClickThroughBlocker back to 0.1.6.3, you probably got the 0.1.6.4 which had a problem

Normally I'd edit, but I think this is important enough to double-post:

I think I've found the culprit: I'm missing Toolbar Controller 1.0.0. Is that a new dependency?

EDIT: Yeah, it's working again. Get Toolbar Controller! @KaiserSoze

Edited by Melfice

On 5/26/2018 at 7:25 AM, Melfice said:

Normally I'd edit, but I think this is important enough to double-post:

I think I've found the culprit: I'm missing Toolbar Controller 1.0.0. Is that a new dependency?

EDIT: Yeah, it's working again. Get Toolbar Controller! @KaiserSoze

Yes it is, I just updated the OP.

• 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer has anyone else reported having this mod fail to function if launching vessels from Woomerang, island runway, or the desert launch facility? Not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong, or if the mod's not recognizing the launches from the other sites, either because of KSP changes, OR, I just thought of this as I was typing, it could be because I'm launching craft with Kerbal Construction time. It's working with launches through the main Launchpad/runway, but there could be some conflict in the way the KCT hands off the craft to the other launch sites that's preventing this mod from 'seeing' those launches. I'll have to pull KCT and test that a bit later and get back to you on that.

8 hours ago, vardicd said:

@linuxgurugamer has anyone else reported having this mod fail to function if launching vessels from Woomerang, island runway, or the desert launch facility? Not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong, or if the mod's not recognizing the launches from the other sites, either because of KSP changes, OR, I just thought of this as I was typing, it could be because I'm launching craft with Kerbal Construction time. It's working with launches through the main Launchpad/runway, but there could be some conflict in the way the KCT hands off the craft to the other launch sites that's preventing this mod from 'seeing' those launches. I'll have to pull KCT and test that a bit later and get back to you on that.

26 minutes ago, vardicd said:

After checking without KCT installed, I'm still seeing this mod not recognizing launches coming from the desert, woomerang, and the island runway, so they aren't getting the number scheme.

Thanks for doing that check.

I'll have to take a look

I see the problem, it has the runway and launchpad hard-coded.

Shouldn't be too hard to fix

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.