Is there a way to use IF conditions somehow? Or cancel branched off nodes?

I want to create a mission where the Kerbal only has a limited amount of time to perform a task. If that fails, the mission should fail.

I tried branching off of the start node with a "time since node" node set to the time limit, but that's not helping since the condition is met either way, since the time will run out regardless.

Is there any way to set up some sort of IF condition? Or check whether condition A was met earlier than condition B?

20 minutes ago, ShadowZone said:

I want to create a mission where the Kerbal only has a limited amount of time to perform a task. If that fails, the mission should fail.

I tried branching off of the start node with a "time since node" node set to the time limit, but that's not helping since the condition is met either way, since the time will run out regardless.

Is there any way to set up some sort of IF condition? Or check whether condition A was met earlier than condition B?

It depends on how complex your mission is. Sometimes you can use a Catch All node to do what you want. Sometimes you can put links to your Time Since node after each of your main branch nodes where it applies.

One thing that can help is to look at an existing mission that achieves a certain effect, and see how they did it.

For example, here's a mission I put together that has a time limit in it:

It's a fairly simple mission, which goes like this:

• There's an EVA kerbal; goal is to "rescue" the kerbal by getting him aboard a particular ship.
  • If he doesn't get on board the ship before a certain time limit runs out, the mission ends in failure.
  • If he does get on board, then there's a subsequent goal to achieve, but there's no more "ticking clock" and the player has as much time as they want.

But as @bewing points out, a lot of it depends on what you want to accomplish in your mission-- for example, the fact that I've got it set up in a certain way in my mission might not work in your mission, if you're doing something a lot more fancy or complicated than what I'm doing.

One thing that can help is if you can just sketch out an outline of your mission, i.e. can you give us a sequence of steps and conditions that you want to achieve?  (Reason this is more helpful than simply asking "how do I do an 'if' condition:  the mission builder can do lots of nifty things, but it also has some significant limitations, and achieving a particular effect often requires a clever workaround of some sort.  And what workarounds will-or-won't work will depend on the shape of the overall mission.)

3 hours ago, Snark said:

One thing that can help is to look at an existing mission that achieves a certain effect, and see how they did it.

For example, here's a mission I put together that has a time limit in it:

It's a fairly simple mission, which goes like this:

• There's an EVA kerbal; goal is to "rescue" the kerbal by getting him aboard a particular ship.
  • If he doesn't get on board the ship before a certain time limit runs out, the mission ends in failure.
  • If he does get on board, then there's a subsequent goal to achieve, but there's no more "ticking clock" and the player has as much time as they want.

But as @bewing points out, a lot of it depends on what you want to accomplish in your mission-- for example, the fact that I've got it set up in a certain way in my mission might not work in your mission, if you're doing something a lot more fancy or complicated than what I'm doing.

One thing that can help is if you can just sketch out an outline of your mission, i.e. can you give us a sequence of steps and conditions that you want to achieve?  (Reason this is more helpful than simply asking "how do I do an 'if' condition:  the mission builder can do lots of nifty things, but it also has some significant limitations, and achieving a particular effect often requires a clever workaround of some sort.  And what workarounds will-or-won't work will depend on the shape of the overall mission.)

What you did in your mission is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.