Target Position at Closest Approach Bug

2-Zons

This is a problem I have seen from time to time but recently it is getting severe.  The problem is the approach markers will jump to a completely erroneous position when changing the maneuver node slightly or sometimes when I go to space port and then reload the vessel the markers are out of whack.  Sometimes as I'm doing a manual burn to fine tune my approach the marker will show decreasing distance and then all of a sudden jump to a position on the opposite side of the orbit.  It's very frustrating and makes getting encounters to planets with eccentric orbits very difficult.

Before I get into all the mods I'm running and everything, I'm wondering if anyone else has seen similar behavior.  Is this a known problem.  I've searched the forums and reddit and haven't found anything quite like what I'm seeing.  Mostly just conversations about "always show closest approach" setting.  Any thoughts?

Yes i noticed that too. 

I definitely seems odd, I would have expected a more gradual move away, but I put it down to the encounter not being good enough, which for me is usually the current orbit's inclination being too far off. 

This means there will be a 'closest possible', until you fiddle with another handle a bit and can squeeze it a bit more (which works within the constraints of your current relative inclination).  So once you pass that 'closest possible' point it just 'tips it over the edge' and it jumps to a completely different point.

Well, that's my theory anyway.

That's not what's happening.  Sometimes I'll have the markers very close, then I add a maneuver node (with zero delta V) and the makers jump to the current position of object.  There are definitely bugs with these markers.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:39 AM, 2-Zons said:

That's not what's happening.  Sometimes I'll have the markers very close, then I add a maneuver node (with zero delta V) and the makers jump to the current position of object.  There are definitely bugs with these markers.

I can make that happen by brushing the atmosphere or hitting RCS or engines by accident.  The nodes are a flight planner and unscheduled maneuvers will throw them off.  The nodes aren't recalculated until you nudge them, and even then require radio contact with flight control.

I have had his happen when planning interplanetary transfer nodes. 

Just put a 0DV manevour node closer to the expected intercept point along the path of the first node, and it will ignore the other intercept points. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.