[WIP][RSS/RO] Alternate Apollo

mcdouble

2 hours ago, mcdouble said:

Added a cargo module with 0.9375m docking attachment, not sure yet on how to config it to reflect its role (in stock at least)

I like it!  It will simplify visits to the next Near MIR station, since I won't need to worry about the 0.625 docking ports as much - I'll be able to stick to one standardized docking port.

2 hours ago, mcdouble said:

Oh yeah I remember reading that, like how are we going to ignite the fuel on this first human trip to the moon? "oh just dump some fluorine in the fuel mix and make hypergolic hydrolox, trust me it'll be a great idea"

For an interesting read on the development of rocket fuel, go look up Ignition! by John Drury Clark (if you haven't already read it).  It was reprinted earlier this year, and it contains some informal discussion of the development of rocket fuels, primarily in the US, during the 1940's - 1960's.  Some of the experiments and outcomes struck me as very Kerbal.

So before I go tearing apart my KSP install I wanted to post here because I am having a problem in STOCK with a specific part from this mod.  The D-2 Command Module Parachutes has an in-ordinate amount of drag in my install.  They are acting like they are deployed all the time.   I can't get past 1500 meters altitude without the rocket flipping (and that was with big wings on the bottom of a Atlas-V.   I can launch a BDB standard Apollo Mk-III capsule (only) into Low Kerbin Orbital ranges with the same rocket.   The D-2 Command module survived an abort from 3000m with no chute deployment.   In my build it falls at a steady ~10m/s  and does not bounce on landing.  When the Chutes are depoloyed the Drop speed decreases further to ~3m/s

All the other parts in this mod SEEM to have acceptable drag.   It APPEARS to be just the parachutes (on abort all the other parts fall much faster.

I am NOT using FAR but I have both Mechjeb and Hyper-edit loaded.   Beyond that my mods are CA Shuttles, reDIRECT, BDB and all their associated requirements and RLA-Reborn / Toolbar and ofcourse Real/SafeChutes

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So before I go tearing apart my KSP install I wanted to post here because I am having a problem in STOCK with a specific part from this mod.  The D-2 Command Module Parachutes has an in-ordinate amount of drag in my install.  They are acting like they are deployed all the time.   I can't get past 1500 meters altitude without the rocket flipping (and that was with big wings on the bottom of a Atlas-V.   I can launch a BDB standard Apollo Mk-III capsule (only) into Low Kerbin Orbital ranges with the same rocket.   The D-2 Command module survived an abort from 3000m with no chute deployment.   In my build it falls at a steady ~10m/s  and does not bounce on landing.  When the Chutes are depoloyed the Drop speed decreases further to ~3m/s

All the other parts in this mod SEEM to have acceptable drag.   It APPEARS to be just the parachutes (on abort all the other parts fall much faster.

I am NOT using FAR but I have both Mechjeb and Hyper-edit loaded.   Beyond that my mods are CA Shuttles, reDIRECT, BDB and all their associated requirements and RLA-Reborn / Toolbar and ofcourse Real/SafeChutes

Might be a realchute issue, try to replicate the issue without it installed

Just now, BRAAAP_STUTUTU said:

Might be a realchute issue, try to replicate the issue without it installed

Actually when I get home I am going to make a MM file to give it Realchute capabilities...   I saw this problem before and it was a .mu file issue....   I was reaching out to verify if it was global issue (mu file) or just me...    Obviously just me :)

So to follow up.  I have exactly one part with issues.... the D2 parachute.  It is acting like it is deployed no mater what.  I have un-installed Realchute/Safechute to no avail.   I have over-written the CFGs with my own (via MM) and same issue which means there is something in my build interfering with the MU file....   I THINK.

So after that for the 2nd time today I re-synced files with Steam..... I don't know why it didn't fix the problem the first time but it didn't.  I had 9 files that needed to be re-acquired.   When I did the sync a second time I STILL had 9 files that needed to be acquired...    Thanks Braaap_stututu for answering my RFI.

Edited by Pappystein

4 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So to follow up.  I have exactly one part with issues.... the D2 parachute.  It is acting like it is deployed no mater what.  I have un-installed Realchute/Safechute to no avail.   I have over-written the CFGs with my own (via MM) and same issue which means there is something in my build interfering with the MU file....   I THINK.

So after that for the 2nd time today I re-synced files with Steam..... I don't know why it didn't fix the problem the first time but it didn't.  I had 9 files that needed to be re-acquired.   When I did the sync a second time I STILL had 9 files that needed to be acquired...    Thanks Braaap_stututu for answering my RFI.

i'll test if it works on my install later

9 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I just tried it out this morning, and I don't see the problem.  I don't have RealChute installed, but with the stock parachutes / stock atmo / 2.4x Kerbin, if I trigger an abort at 3km (and coast up to 5km before falling), the D2 DM hits the ground at about 180 m/s if I don't deploy parachutes.  If I don't install parachutes at all, it hits the ground at the same speed, so there's no appreciable drag coming from undeployed parachutes for me.

21 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Yeah I haven't seen that problem either, although I would not be surprised at all if there was something wrong with the parachutes as they were one of the first parts I made and I had even less idea what I was doing then than I do now. :P Is this using the latest version of stock? I'll try and test it out.

I am going to Re-Re download the Master file from your Git too.   Like I said with parachute closed and just the Orbital return compartment it falls at a Flat ~10m/s  and the stock settings allow it to survive that impact.

Stock:

I have a few part mods... I doubt they would trigger this but here are the DLL heavy mods:

RealChute/SafeChute

Mechjeb

Hyperedit

Modmannager

Tweakscale

Pebkac

Blizzy78's toolbar

Universal Storage2

SmartParts

Scansat

My next day off (Thanksgiving) I plan on tearing one mod at a time out and seeing what happens.

Thanks everyone for looking into this.  You are all pretty much confirming my fear that this is on me so I am going to use what little free time I have to remove other mods to see what happens.    I wish I remembered the mod that 4+ years ago triggered this issue in 0.23/1.0.5

Edited by Pappystein

So I quickly removed Realchutes and re-downloaded the master.... Here is the Result in the VAB building (using the D2 craft supplied with the masters.)

Chute deployed in VAB

Never-mind I have just found another chute (one that I have not used in 3 years)  that is pre-deployed.  I am deleting all mods and installing them over.   THANKS AGAIN!

One question mcdouble,  Is the deployed Canopy named Canopy?   Cause naming the parts in-correctly can cause weird behaviors with other mods.   (Koose for example had this issue.)

Edited by Pappystein

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

One question mcdouble,  Is the deployed Canopy named Canopy?   Cause naming the parts in-correctly can cause weird behaviors with other mods.   (Koose for example had this issue.)

It's named "canopy" in Unity with "canopyName = canopy" in the config, should it be capitalized? I basically just opened a stock parachute .mu in blender and then copied what they'd done.

I did at one point have some problem where the RO config was creating a second copy of the part on top of itself or something, so you might want to try deleting the RO_config folder if you aren't using RO. There is also a RealChute config in there so that might be causing a conflict?

The parachute code does actually honour the names in the config. Having the out mesh called something else won't stop it working. It was the code that calculates vessel height and so on that was hard coded to the mesh name canopy. There may be other joys out there as well.

If a chute isn't working, just go through and check all the unity names match the names in the config, especially the two animation stages. And sometimes you might need to reimport your blender object if things changed, and rebuild the unity game object. Some changes don't cascade through to the existing unity hierarchy, especially with legacy animations.

13 hours ago, mcdouble said:

It's named "canopy" in Unity with "canopyName = canopy" in the config, should it be capitalized? I basically just opened a stock parachute .mu in blender and then copied what they'd done.

I did at one point have some problem where the RO config was creating a second copy of the part on top of itself or something, so you might want to try deleting the RO_config folder if you aren't using RO. There is also a RealChute config in there so that might be causing a conflict? 

geeze I am out of work just over 1 week with an injury and I come back on limited duty no less and am averaging 14 hour days.....   :(

OK So I did NOT delete the RO folder but I HAVE removed RealChute as well as several other mods that have caused problems in the past (Hyperedit being supreme in that regard.)

• 3 weeks later...

Slowly making some kind of progress with this orbital tug system, basically the idea is that a variety of modules can be attached to the tug which delivers to a station, and then remains there providing electrical power, orbital boosts etc. Then theoretically another module could be launched alone and the tug undocks, goes and gets it and delivers it back to the station. Or of course the tug and module can simply be launched together and stay as one piece, similar to Russian DOS modules.

So far have just made a node module but others should be pretty quick to make.

roJgO6A.png

zTwCjwo.png

7 hours ago, mcdouble said:

That node / tug combination is great.  I'm glad I've got room to expand my Nir Mir 2 station, because I'd hate to scrap a second station to accommodate new hardware :) .  I see the possibility for a lot of mission-specific modules being delivered to the station.  Handy tugs like that will make it easier to remove obsolete nodes and scrap them (and make the initial delivery a lot easier, instead of needing a heavily-modified BDB Inon upper stage).

4 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

So can this be used in stock? Sorry, if this appears rude.

I have been using it in stock (well, 3.2x rescale stock) for a long time.  You will need to delete the RSS/RO patches, and there may be a couple of other config file tweaks needed, but it otherwise works fine.  I really need to put together a pull request with my proposed changes so that it works in stock out of the box.

Everything should be working in stock without needing to delete RO patches in the latest version on github (or at least it works on my stock install I've tested on). Not sure if there are still any conflicts with other people's installs, let me know if you find any problems.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:31 AM, mcdouble said:

Are the Dockingports individual or are they all one part?

That is a pretty neat looking start....   You have some great details on the tug that bring color to the drab (silver/grey) world of Apollo....   I like that.

I could see THAT being used for ASTP instead of that black cylinder with the boxy attachments like IRL.   Put an Soyuz docking port on one side and either a Probe/Drogue or APAS on the Apollo side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.