Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

@Alpha 360 Thanks for clearing that up, I think.  I might be losing the plot though, but as best I remember I only missed the first challenge due to not seeing the thread in time.

According to the list of challenges in the original post we have had:

1. Land near a Mun anomaly

2. Build a Mun Station

3. Build a glider

4. Rescue a Kerbal

5. Build a Skylab

6. Setup a Mun satellite network

According to that list, mission 5 was the Skylab mission, which is the mission entry I linked to on page 14 of this thread.  Unless I am mistaken and have missed something somewhere.

The only other thing I can think, which might make sense, is that the medals you issue aren't specifically for the mission, but for the level you get to based on how many missions you have completed.  In which case having done the fifth mission, but having missed the first, I would only qualify for a tier 4 medal.  Is that right?

I haven't put a tier 3 medal in my sig because it was a bit fuzzy and you can't distinguish the difference between that one and the tier 2 medal.  But challenge mission 5 was actually my 4th mission, so a tier 4 medal would be nice as it looks really good.

Edited by Scarecrow

After doing several calculations and many many tries, I finally managed to placed the relays in a really neat triangle with the Mun :)

(Its a bit more technical this time  but the album still contains some additional pics of the flight ;) )

Spoiler

Launch at sunrise
MfKkMGU.jpg

First stage gone

BeK6SqF.jpg

Second stage and fairing as well

xzt1f7T.jpg

Lets do the tough part....circular orbit at 5,168,987m (1/3 of the Mun orbital periode)

3u6gzmQ.jpg

Setting up a crash trajectory with the mun, theoretically the Pe is at 11,400,000m

BoRXfdZ.jpg

Added 2 more orbits to the node and some additional fine tuning so both closest approach markers will form a 120° angle

AlRBUFT.jpg

The next maneuver will raise the Pe so the new, elliptical orbit got 2/3 of the mun orbital periode

M9PSfce.jpg

All I have to do now is to release the relays at Ap

a2KFayd.jpg

Fine tuning the orbits

fHMYUWV.jpg

Relay 1 after 100 days

zUHDKYg.png

Relay 2 after 100 days

EoZsOBD.png

Oh, and look at these angles :D

cCPI0BE.png

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

After doing several calculations and many many tries, I finally managed to placed the relays in a really neat triangle with the Mun :)

(Its a bit more technical this time  but the album still contains some additional pics of the flight ;) )

Hide contents

Launch at sunrise
MfKkMGU.jpg

First stage gone

BeK6SqF.jpg

Second stage and fairing as well

xzt1f7T.jpg

Lets do the tough part....circular orbit at 5,168,987m (1/3 of the Mun orbital periode)

3u6gzmQ.jpg

Setting up a crash trajectory with the mun, theoretically the Pe is at 11,400,000m

BoRXfdZ.jpg

Added 2 more orbits to the node and some additional fine tuning so both closest approach markers will form a 120° angle

AlRBUFT.jpg

The next maneuver will raise the Pe so the new, elliptical orbit got 2/3 of the mun orbital periode

M9PSfce.jpg

All I have to do now is to release the relays at Ap

a2KFayd.jpg

Fine tuning the orbits

fHMYUWV.jpg

Relay 1 after 100 days

zUHDKYg.png

Relay 2 after 100 days

EoZsOBD.png

Oh, and look at these angles :D

cCPI0BE.png

WOW!

On 7/4/2018 at 11:08 AM, Scarecrow said:

@Alpha 360 Thanks for clearing that up, I think.  I might be losing the plot though, but as best I remember I only missed the first challenge due to not seeing the thread in time.

According to the list of challenges in the original post we have had:

1. Land near a Mun anomaly

2. Build a Mun Station

3. Build a glider

4. Rescue a Kerbal

5. Build a Skylab

6. Setup a Mun satellite network

According to that list, mission 5 was the Skylab mission, which is the mission entry I linked to on page 14 of this thread.  Unless I am mistaken and have missed something somewhere.

The only other thing I can think, which might make sense, is that the medals you issue aren't specifically for the mission, but for the level you get to based on how many missions you have completed.  In which case having done the fifth mission, but having missed the first, I would only qualify for a tier 4 medal.  Is that right?

I haven't put a tier 3 medal in my sig because it was a bit fuzzy and you can't distinguish the difference between that one and the tier 2 medal.  But challenge mission 5 was actually my 4th mission, so a tier 4 medal would be nice as it looks really good.

Alright! I'll send you a tier 4 medal. I'm sorry for the complications, but since I was away, things got messed up a bit. Yes, the tiers go with how many challenges you complete. That way people have motivation to keep doing these things. 

Happy Explosions!

General Universal Internal Memo:

Operation: WATCHMAKER

• Mission Images:
  • Spoiler

13sYtHF.png

nVvjm47.png

pxBgWN9.png

ST6T4gx.png

Full Album: https://imgur.com/a/1eM2ks4

Relay network now in place in High Kerbin orbit-

• Reduced comms blindspot area in  Münar orbit

Operation success achieved, future considerations:

• Orbits of satellites need tending: Comsat 1 needs to have speed reduced, Comsats 2-3 need to increase distance from Mün.
  • Relays in Münar orbit required completely to remove blindspot
  • Chrysaor still needs a replacement- and one has been needed for several missions now. Seriously, what are we paying you people in the design department for? Eating all the snacks in the break room and constantly starting paperball fights? Get to it!

16 hours ago, Lucast0909 said:

General Universal Internal Memo:

Operation: WATCHMAKER

• Mission Images:
  •   Reveal hidden contents

13sYtHF.png

nVvjm47.png

pxBgWN9.png

ST6T4gx.png

Full Album: https://imgur.com/a/1eM2ks4

Relay network now in place in High Kerbin orbit-

• Reduced comms blindspot area in  Münar orbit

Operation success achieved, future considerations:

• Orbits of satellites need tending: Comsat 1 needs to have speed reduced, Comsats 2-3 need to increase distance from Mün.
  • Relays in Münar orbit required completely to remove blindspot
  • Chrysaor still needs a replacement- and one has been needed for several missions now. Seriously, what are we paying you people in the design department for? Eating all the snacks in the break room and constantly starting paperball fights? Get to it!

Looks like you are about to receive the first Tier 5 medal! Congratulations! 

17 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

So... are past challenges expired?

Yep, that way its much easier to tell who gets which medal for completing what. Also it keeps the ball rolling pretty nicely. 

I will announce that this is the next-to-last day of the Mun Relay Sat challenge! Hurry up to submit your entries before the challenge expires!

Happy Explosions!

6 hours ago, doggonemess said:

Jeb is really, really bored. 

Heh! I Bet!

Question: How do you people get such accurate orbits? All of my satellites were at approximate Mün orbit altitude, but they still drifted like crazy (especially the farthest one from the Mün).

41 minutes ago, Lucast0909 said:

Question: How do you people get such accurate orbits? All of my satellites were at approximate Mün orbit altitude, but they still drifted like crazy (especially the farthest one from the Mün).

Reduce the thrust of your engines to do accurate burns to 'fine tune' the orbit. RCS thruster with their thrust reduced to 0.5% and some patience will allow you to get (nearly) perfect circular orbits ;)

Here is my attempt at this 6th challenge !

I used this SSTO to send 3 tiny Relay probes on the Mun orbit, I planned to put the last one on a polar orbit but since I forgot and decoupled the last probe before putting my spacecraft on the desired orbit .. Well that did not happened !

Runway :

7zwf1k.jpg

Spoiler

Rocket Mode :

toa79y.jpg

Landing :

efy8f3.jpg

Payload : This are extremly basic probes, 1 Oscar / Okto 2 / Small Reaction Wheel, 2 Spiders / HG-5 / Z-100 battery and 4 Solar panels.

33cvgg.jpg

A hundred days later : Not quite what I hoped but -close enough- : D

nd96hf.jpg

14 hours ago, Lucast0909 said:

Heh! I Bet!

What those guys said - they beat me to it. Reduced thrust, plan your maneuvers at apoapsis and periapsis, make tiny adjustments. Also helps if you enjoy doing things to the last fiddly little detail. 

8 hours ago, Alpha 360 said:

Let me call up @doggonemess to post the medals for challenge number 6!  Everyone with their submissions better hurry up. Once the medals are posted the challenge is CLOSED

Happy Explosions!

Okay, I'm looking over the entries, so if you've got one to submit, make it so!

MNeE7.jpg

Congrats to all of the winners!

@Scarecrow - for a very close satellite arrangement

@hoioh - for bringing enough spares to make even NASA question the mission budget

@TheFlyingKerman - for SSTO'ing the sats into orbit

@KingDominoIII - for a very detailed mission report (and images in order!)

@4x4cheesecake - for an incredibly symmetrical satellite arrangement

@Lucast0909 - for operation WATCHMAKER and very thourough coverage

@Kerbolitto - for an awesome looking SSTM delivery method

Here is the Tier 6 medal:

d2lO4ir.jpg

HaZKZIg.jpg

22 hours ago, doggonemess said:

Congrats to all of the winners!

@hoioh - for bringing enough spares to make even NASA question the mission budget

Hehe, thanks! I mean why not bring a couple spares, right?

I was originally going to do a couple more sats with elliptical orbits that cross over and then below the mun, but I could only succesfully get the one in a working orbit

When one door closes, another opens...

Challenge 7: Gilly mission!

PyVowpV.png

I ran out of fuel whilst using the Vernors to push it into the ground.

For this challenge, you need to go to Gilly without using NERVs (I had to make it difficult somehow). This challenge is simple, I did it in one afternoon. Return is optional, but preferable. It's a simple challenge, which if completed will result in you receiving a medal. Good luck!

39 minutes ago, obney kerman said:

When one door closes, another opens...

Challenge 7: Gilly mission!

PyVowpV.png

I ran out of fuel whilst using the Vernors to push it into the ground.

For this challenge, you need to go to Gilly without using NERVs (I had to make it difficult somehow). This challenge is simple, I did it in one afternoon. Return is optional, but preferable. It's a simple challenge, which if completed will result in you receiving a medal. Good luck!

Anyway, I like it! BUT I've gone to EELOO without NERVs.

So, I'm the first one doing this nice little challenge?
OK...Gilly without NERVs, here we go:

Spoiler

I've decided that I want to bring a little surpise present to Gilly:
eTUnfSy.jpg

9 Vector engines and 4 'Kickback' SRBs will lift this cute little rocket
Qsu6w4k.jpg

Setting up an Eve encounter
HIxzJkk.jpg

Keep an eye on your target ;) (Thr bright dot on the right is Moho)
iTw89y1.jpg

No aerocapture at Eve, brought no heatshields to survive^^
CxqxjOD.jpg

Setting up Gilly encounter
egPbcIT.jpg

After circularization around Gilly, I realized a huge mistake: I forgot to turn off crossfeed between my Gilly lander and the transfer stage...so almost all fuel got burned. Well, it doesn't need much fuel to land on Gilly but the same lander is supposed to bring my Kerbals back to Kerbin. So I have to pump some fuel, fortunately the second lander got plenty of fuel to spare.
TiLFAoG.jpg

Transfer stage is gone, lets separate the lander and the present
rIa3Bqs.jpg

Never forget to plant a flag
xDFStE4.jpg

Now, lets open the present...I haven't brought one here before, so here is my little rover for Gilly :)
XFF3iwd.jpg

Patented rover delivery system^^
TOBeafG.jpg

3 Kerbals fit in the rover: Val has to drive, Bill takes care of the mechanics and Bob in the back can do all the science stuff.
TDjVKNI.jpg

I know exactly why I never brought a rover to Gilly before xD
bmvDHcQ.jpg

Ok, lets return to Kerbin
7qhuEOS.jpg

Got ~718m/s deltaV left...got an encounter with Kerbin for 588m/s...phew :)
KSywfNX.jpg

No aerocapture at Kerbin as well, just go for the landing
1ys8qMS.jpg

2f21nDn.jpg

Val, Bill and Bob are back at Kerbin :)
jjMy5JR.jpg

Imgur album with more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/yqaEybV

It may be hard to see in these pictures, so here's a list of the stages and engines I've used in this mission:

First stage: 9 Vectors + 4 Kickback SRBs
Transfer stage: 1 Rhino
Manned lander: 1 Poodle (+ 4 RCS thruster)
Rover lander: 3 Sparks
Rover delivery system: 1 Terrier

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 hour ago, obney kerman said:

Yes.

That would have been nice to know before I just flew my mission which could, obviously, have been crewed, but there wasn't a single Kerbal aboard...

SEMp74c.jpg

I hope you either, don't mind since the capacity is clearly there, or let me do a crew delivery and return mission to the station

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.