Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

Final Challenge

KASA 

KASA Internal Memo

It has come to my attention that our investors are becoming bored with the space program. They are getting tired of Mun landings and Duna probes. They complain that our last mission was to see how well we could fly spacecraft without a chase vehicle. I think that we need to impress them. We need to show them something exciting, or they may decide to cut our funding completely. I propose a base outside of Kerbin's SOI that they can comfortably inhabit with some form of entertainment or at the very least an interesting view.

The Challenge.

The challenge, should you chose to accept it, is to design and land a base on a planet or moon outside of Kerbin's SOI(No Mun or Minmus). This base must contain: Habitation(no external seats), a viewing module(something with a good view of the outside), and some sort of entertainment(vehicle or simply landed by some sort of interesting terrain(i.e. the canyon on Dres, any sort of canyon, a large mountain, etc.)). 

Here's mine(landed by the canyon on Duna for entertainment):

hrs2L4V.png

Spoiler

DCkkMDv.png

Good luck!

So, here is my entry for the final challenge :)

I wanted to build something big for the final challenge but my pc didn't like that, so at some point I had to stop adding more parts and go for a workaround instead which includes two refuel mission while the main mission waits in LKO...I hope this is fine for you guys :)

Also, I wanted to do something new for me...since Eeloo is the only planet I haven't visited yet, I've decided to build a base there...or to be more precise: land a base there because I really dislike assembling stuff on a surface, this is going to be a 'single launch base'.

Spoiler

BZQA3qR.png

This 'little' rocket contains everything I need...except for enough fuel :D 

65bA8x3.jpg

Hey look, it actually lifts-off :)

mLBMlWj.jpg

Onion-stageing instead of aspargus...slightly less deltaV but unlikely to explode during the launch (at least in this case)

mcGyPeR.jpg

Almost like a flower and it took me just 3 tries to open the fairing without explosions^^

iYgh8FA.jpg

The first refuel rocket...the payload basically consist of the biggest available tank with MH installed (forgot the name)

zcDX07E.jpg

This time, aspargus is perfectly fine

MIGY7br.jpg

Launched direct into a rendevouz...not a good one but good enough for me ;)

zIGN05y.jpg

Refuelling...

tFuKQEZ.png

Nothing special about the second refuel mission...same rocket, same procedure but I almost missed the target xD

0TGI49q.jpg

Now we can set up the maneuver to encounter Eeloo...no fancy fly-bys just a simple hohmann transfer.

TISrnvR.jpg

Hey Eeloo :)

UOMlKr7.jpg

Circularization at ~30km

NzxuOiO.jpg

Undocking the base, it got its own landing engines.

iYWXeaJ.jpg

The fuel tanks of the base are empty (except for the one required by the landing engines of course)

KmOwyx0.jpg

Touchdown!

7oxCgHh.jpg

Getting rid of the landing engines&tanks...like a 'welcome home' firework^^

Nxtpauj.jpg

planting a flag ;)

v6tFoFf.jpg

After decoupling the rovers, this mission is complete :)

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/1v6Zg8w

The album contains an 'additional mission' to return the delivery ship back to Kerbin with multiple fly-bys but since this is not part of the challenge, it is not part of my entry ;)

edit: someday I'll find out why pressing 'return' will sometimes result in posting all the stuff instead of a new line....not finished yet!!

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

So, here is my entry for the final challenge :)

I wanted to build something big for the final challenge but my pc didn't like that, so at some point I had to stop adding more parts and go for a workaround instead which includes two refuel mission while the main mission waits in LKO...I hope this is fine for you guys :)

Also, I wanted to do something new for me...since Eeloo is the only planet I haven't visited yet, I've decided to build a base there...or to be more precise: land a base there because I really dislike assembling stuff on a surface, this is going to be a 'single launch base'.

Hide contents

BZQA3qR.png

This 'little' rocket contains everything I need...except for enough fuel :D 

65bA8x3.jpg

Hey look, it actually lifts-off :)

mLBMlWj.jpg

Onion-stageing instead of aspargus...slightly less deltaV but unlikely to explode during the launch (at least in this case)

mcGyPeR.jpg

Almost like a flower and it took me just 3 tries to open the fairing without explosions^^

iYgh8FA.jpg

The first refuel rocket...the payload basically consist of the biggest available tank with MH installed (forgot the name)

zcDX07E.jpg

This time, aspargus is perfectly fine

MIGY7br.jpg

Launched direct into a rendevouz...not a good one but good enough for me ;)

zIGN05y.jpg

Refuelling...

tFuKQEZ.png

Nothing special about the second refuel mission...same rocket, same procedure but I almost missed the target xD

0TGI49q.jpg

Now we can set up the maneuver to encounter Eeloo...no fancy fly-bys just a simple hohmann transfer.

TISrnvR.jpg

Hey Eeloo :)

https://i.imgur.com/UOMlKr7.jpg

Wow, cool @4x4cheesecake!

On 8/12/2018 at 8:16 PM, The Minmus Derp said:

Sorry, m7, group consensus seems to be a nope on that one. We've got a pretty big team by this point, so while I hate to say no to folks, I'm sure you wanted a clear answer on that one. 

This is my entry to this last challenge.

I used a land-base that I designed quite some time ago, for fun, but never had to launch it as it was more cosmetic than effective! Turns out that after a few adjustement it's now a proper base as well as an autonomous ship ! :D

This is how things developped :

Part 1 : Lift off ! (well, very slowly)

Lift-off was really difficult because engineers just threw a bunch of boosters around the payload and staged some engines. After a failed attempt, they of course added MORE VECTORS and the ship finally took of the pad producing only 1.1G :

lv67sl.jpg

zkmkhk.jpg

3y1tli.jpg

Spoiler

2vpcof.jpg

First stage was quickly spend, thrust was so poor that the pilot had to light up the central Rhino :D

Part 2 : Orbital maneuvers (where you said we were going ?)

Once the ship was in orbit, the crew had to choose where they wanted to go. They had quite a lot of dV to visit some planets but the ultimate limit of the ship would be the outpost engine, which could only produce a limited thrust. The crew of 12 voted and decided to shoot to Dres, because they rarely visited this planet, and the view was said to be great !

nn6rt3.jpg

ll294m.jpg

x7z59j.jpg

Spoiler

Dres maneuver :

ro5b8z.jpg

Part 3 : Landing

Central core had around 600m/s left, so the pilot finished the capture using the outpost's engine (Wolfhound). After circularizing she aimed to the canyon, because of course !

wzx7mu.jpg

7o5ig4.jpg

twd61j.jpg

Part 4 : Deployement

Using 2 engines to counter-thrust the tipping outpost, the crew was able to successfully land right near the edge of the canyon. They then began to deploy their outpost and spread out to examine surface samples, enjoy the view or plant a flag or two.

4w4pxs.jpg

s90pma.jpg

3camef.jpg

Spoiler

kk2343.jpg

Cheetah's inspection :

dk2cpb.jpg

Ship's stats : It has around 2500m/s and is able to take-off and land as long as the gravity is not too high, can be refuel or pushed by it's front dock, also it lacks communications and parachutes .. ! >_<

9w5c8p.jpg

Thanks for reading!

I'd like to thank the team who started this challenge, which was my very first attempt after joining this forum ! : D

Edited by Kerbolitto

3 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

This is my entry to this last challenge.

I used a land-base that I designed quite some time ago, for fun, but never had to launch it as it was more cosmetic than effective! Turns out that after a few adjustement it's now a proper base as well as an autonomous ship ! :D

This is how things developped :

Part 1 : Lift off ! (well, very slowly)

Lift-off was really difficult because engineers just threw a bunch of boosters around the payload and staged some engines. After a failed attempt, they of course added MORE VECTORS and the ship finally took of the pad producing only 1.1G :

lv67sl.jpg

zkmkhk.jpg

3y1tli.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

2vpcof.jpg

First stage was quickly spend, thrust was so poor that the pilot had to light up the central Rhino :D

Part 2 : Orbital maneuvers (where you said we were going ?)

Once the ship was in orbit, the crew had to choose where they wanted to go. They had quite a lot of dV to visit some planets but the ultimate limit of the ship would be the outpost engine, which could only produce a limited thrust. The crew of 12 voted and decided to shoot to Dres, because they rarely visited this planet, and the view was said to be great !

nn6rt3.jpg

ll294m.jpg

x7z59j.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Dres maneuver :

ro5b8z.jpg

Part 3 : Landing

Central core had around 600m/s left, so the pilot finished the capture using the outpost's engine (Wolfhound). After circularizing she aimed to the canyon, because of course !

wzx7mu.jpg

7o5ig4.jpg

twd61j.jpg

Part 4 : Deployement

Using 2 engines to counter-thrust the tipping outpost, the crew was able to successfully land right near the edge of the canyon. They then began to deploy their outpost and spread out to examine surface samples, enjoy the view or plant a flag or two.

4w4pxs.jpg

s90pma.jpg

3camef.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

kk2343.jpg

Cheetah's inspection :

dk2cpb.jpg

Ship's stats : It has around 2500m/s and is able to take-off and land as long as the gravity is not too high, can be refuel or pushed by it's front dock, also it lacks communications and parachutes .. ! >_<

9w5c8p.jpg

Thanks for reading!

I'd like to thank the team who started this challenge, which was my very first attempt after joining this forum ! : D

Wow! Love that fairing!

I'll start my entry tomorrow when I have Tim. 

Universal Exploratory Public Mission Report

Operation: ONE FINAL DANCE

4qRsSaJ.png

• The Mission was a technical success: barely.
  • The Primary base arrived intact, but lost one of its pairs of redundant landing gear along with both SAS units (neither necessary for mission completion, but nice to have)
  • The Cross-Duna Vtol Aircraft (CDVA) (not pictured above) had most of its fuel tanks drained in attempt to land closer to the primary base, but is otherwise intact.
  • Recommended additions: proper rover and support infrastructure for it, additional habitation buildings, mining equipment, security force.
  • Notes for next time: MOAR DELTA-V, aerobraking helped, but both craft were basically out of fuel on arrival: recommend at least 8k dV for Kerbin-Duna travel: twice that if a return w/o refuel is expected.
  • Full mission image logs (not much unfortunately, was more focused on getting the darn thing done)
  • Spoiler

fEvnfpD.png

kbALihm.png

JrdbA4o.png?1

4qRsSaJ.png

uydjqa8.png

This is the entire log... but if you needed the link: https://imgur.com/a/WQHh1CD

Announcement:

The last challenge was the final challenge of thread, as has been announced shortly. I will be posting the new micro-challenges for all thread shortly. When I do, I will edit this post with the link to the new thread. Thank you all for participating! The new thread will be open to suggestions and will feature some harder challenges. I would like to extend my personal thanks to @VelocityPolaris, @obney kerman, @doggonemess, and @Lucast0909 for their brilliant work on this thread, both under me and under @Alpha 360. I would also like to extend my gratitude to @Alpha 360 for bringing us all together, and starting this thread. Thank you @Alpha 360! I hope to see you on the next thread everyone!

34 minutes ago, Alpha 360 said:

I'm glad to see you taking my place! Under your supervision, I believe the new micro-challenge thread will be better than I could have done it. Great job closing the thread as well, @kerbalstar! I'll look forward to seeing the new thread.

Happy Explosions!

Thank you very much @Alpha 360!

Live long and prosper @Alpha 360!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 6:20 AM, Alpha 360 said:

I guess I can't delay this any longer.

I announce that I am stepping down from this thread. @kerbalstar is my successor, and I will congratulate him for the hard work he has done to planning out this thread.

I will offer my sincere thanks to @doggonemess for designing these new medals, he really has been working hard behind the scenes, so it would be nice if you all gave him a big hand. 

I also thank @obney kerman, @VelocityPolaris, @Lucast0909 for continuing to help with the thread. I hope that this thread goes through a healthy phase of reorganization, and that it will not stop because I have resigned voluntarily. 

Finally, I thank all of the people who have been supporting this endeavor to give these Newbies chances to win medals, master the game and therefore have a great time playing KSP. 

Happy Explosions!

:D Well thanks for starting the thread Alpha. I think you got some noobs going on the right track. Good work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.