Suspicion increases.....

c9f31496-6b94-40ad-94ad-43c8c4b20df0.jpg

I have asked, and apparently I qualify as a newbie :ph34r::D

And according the number of my YouTube subscribers, I am one :blush:

Edited by Kergarin

6 minutes ago, Kergarin said:

I have asked, and apparently I qualify as a newbie :ph34r::D

And according the number of my YouTube subscribers, I am one :blush:

Well, those videos look pretty goshdarn interesting, and as soon as I get back from school, I'll be sure to check 'em out. I happen to be in need of an Eve SSTO right now.

2 hours ago, VelocityPolaris said:

(How do you use Kerbnet for this, by the way? I actually kinda don't know how to do this.)

Of course, this was my first run, but here was my route:

1. Bring a probe core, with preference a high tech one, like the HECS2, RC-001S, or RC-L01 (the latter two being the flat 1.25m, and flat 2.5m probe cores)

2. Bring enough antennas / coms equipment to contact home. For the Mun in sandbox, I think literally any of the antennas will do.

3. Go for a medium-sized orbit, I chose 225km equatorial, and it worked well.

4. Right click the probe core and click Kerbnet

5. Turn on 'auto refresh' . If you click the button twice, it'll refresh every 3.5 seconds.

6. Go to a modest time warp and watch the planet circle by underneath you in Kerbnet. Keep your eyes out for little question marks on the map. About once a kerbin-day, new ones seem to appear or disappear randomly.

7. When you see a question mark you like, left click on it, and click 'make waypoint'. Then, our hosts suggest you repeat this a few times with the idea that the center of the cloud will be your object.

8. Since there's liable to be an inclination change required for landing, I find ~90 degrees in advance is a nice place to do the deorbit burn.

9. Land, admire, eat snacks!

As far as more tenured players joining in, one of the things I like about KSP is you can have played it for a while and be quite proficient at many things, but still be a total noob at others. I think that's part of its charm, and what's fun about this challenge set in particular.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

40 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Of course, this was my first run, but here was my route:

1. Bring a probe core, with preference a high tech one, like the HECS2, RC-001S, or RC-L01 (the latter two being the flat 1.25m, and flat 2.5m probe cores)

2. Bring enough antennas / coms equipment to contact home. For the Mun in sandbox, I think literally any of the antennas will do.

3. Go for a medium-sized orbit, I chose 225km equatorial, and it worked well.

4. Right click the probe core and click Kerbnet

5. Turn on 'auto refresh' . If you click the button twice, it'll refresh every 3.5 seconds.

6. Go to a modest time warp and watch the planet circle by underneath you in Kerbnet. Keep your eyes out for little question marks on the map. About once a kerbin-day, new ones seem to appear or disappear randomly.

7. When you see a question mark you like, left click on it, and click 'make waypoint'. Then, our hosts suggest you repeat this a few times with the idea that the center of the cloud will be your object.

8. Since there's liable to be an inclination change required for landing, I find ~90 degrees in advance is a nice place to do the deorbit burn.

9. Land, admire, eat snacks!

As far as more tenured players joining in, one of the things I like about KSP is you can have played it for a while and be quite proficient at many things, but still be a total noob at others. I think that's part of its charm, and what's fun about this challenge set in particular.

If you use the rove mate probe core, you will immediately see all easter eggs. It has 100% detection.

But that's boring :D

Edited by Kergarin

37 minutes ago, Kergarin said:

If you use the rove mate probe core, you will immediately see all easter eggs. It has 100% detection.

It apparently needs to be landed to be able to do that, which I think is a fun caveat. I was super tempted to make a rocket rover for this challenge, but it didn't quiiite fit in with the rules!

4 hours ago, VelocityPolaris said:

(How do you use Kerbnet for this, by the way? I actually kinda don't know how to do this.)

You need a probe core which  has 1) kerbnet access and 2) is capable to find anomalies. To get these informations, you just need to right click any probecore while in the editor. Some probecores got a higher chance to find a anomaly, so you might want to pick one of the better ones ;)

Bring your probe/ship into an orbit of the mun, right click the probecore and you will find a buttoon to access the kerbnet. This will bring up a new window, showing the body you are orbiting. Depending on your altitude and available FOV, you can see the whole body or just a part of it. All you have to do now, is waiting ;) Keep watching the kerbnet map and if you are lucky and close to an anomaly, a "?" will appear in your kerbnet map. Zoom as much as possible to the "?" using the FOV slider and put a mark on top of the "?". This mark will be visible in your map view and can be selected as a target.

I would recommend to use the "auto-refresh" option for your kernbet map and some time warp but don't speed up too much, auto-refresh time is not affected by time warp.

edit: just realized I missed the third page and haven't noticed any earlier responses xD

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

11 hours ago, Cunjo Carl said:

V4GIp5T.jpg   

That was nice, I've never actually used Kerbnet before, so this was a fun outing. Normally I just stumble into these things while bumbling around, so actually finding them the right way almost felt like cheating!

Thanks for the challenge, all!

Good job, and another ENCCC medal @Cunjo Carl ! If you could please put that picture in a spoiler, so that newbies looking through the thread don't get the Mun Arch spoiled for them, that would be great! Thank you!

Just for fun, I hopped my lander (to orbit) and over to another anomaly. 

Spoiler

xiEzpjv.png

1 hour ago, Cunjo Carl said:

It apparently needs to be landed to be able to do that, which I think is a fun caveat. I was super tempted to make a rocket rover for this challenge, but it didn't quiiite fit in with the rules!

No. It works from orbit like any other probe core, and always detects all anomalys on first pass.

I don't know if it's intended to do that, but it works since kerbnet came out and still does.

But I don't use that, because it's too easy. just wanted to mention, if someone doesn't want to search for long.

8 hours ago, VelocityPolaris said:

Scott got u, at 1:30 he starts with kerbnet. Note that different probecores have different changes of finding an anomaly

5 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Can u do that in orbit with the rover mate?

Edited by PrvDancer85
Oh man everthing has already been answersed, darn browser didnt load the hole page

21 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Good job, sorry you didn’t find an anomaly. The coordinates you put in were for the Mun right? I figured, just checking. You can always try again!:) 

I intend to! This time, with a different craft. One with a lower part count. It was going 6 frames per second all the way to the Mun and back.

EDIT: Yes, definitely the Mun. I used Kerbnet to find it, set the nav point as my target, and went to the exact spot. The navigation marker was actually several meters above the surface, with nothing visible outside of the map.

Jamie

Edited by doggonemess

1 hour ago, doggonemess said:

I intend to! This time, with a different craft. One with a lower part count. It was going 6 frames per second all the way to the Mun and back.

EDIT: Yes, definitely the Mun. I used Kerbnet to find it, set the nav point as my target, and went to the exact spot. The navigation marker was actually several meters above the surface, with nothing visible outside of the map.

Jamie

Oh, Kerbnet, I found that the Waypoints do not land on the target. To illustrate this: Place a waypoint over the question mark. Go and place a waypoint over it again. Go into map view. They will most likely be far apart. That's why I said try multiple and average them. Use as many as you can. Another tip: Keep placing waypoints as you get lower down, and keep adjusting to go to the center.

6 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Oh, Kerbnet, I found that the Waypoints do not land on the target. To illustrate this: Place a waypoint over the question mark. Go and place a waypoint over it again. Go into map view. They will most likely be far apart. That's why I said try multiple and average them. Use as many as you can. Another tip: Keep placing waypoints as you get lower down, and keep adjusting to go to the center.

Good to know - I'll do that next time.

In the meantime, I sent Val up on a recon mission. Spoiler below, if you want to find anomalies by yourself.

Spoiler

Since I know there are arches near the equator. Didn't take long to find one.

CZj5nGe.png

Edited by doggonemess

33 minutes ago, doggonemess said:

In the meantime, I sent Val up on a recon mission, since I know there are arches near the equator. Didn't take long to find one.

Good job @doggonemess! Another ENCCC badge! Also,

12 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

If you could please put that picture in a spoiler, so that newbies looking through the thread don't get the Mun Arch spoiled for them, that would be great! Thank you!

Edited by kerbalstar

On 5/11/2018 at 12:37 AM, obney kerman said:

I Agree with @Alpha 360 that you should be within 10km.

Thanks for clarifying the rules.

Spoiler

I have done similar searches in another save and knew there are a few anomalies near the equator, but for this save I still need to send the RoverMate probe to pinpoint them

screenshot75.png

Then the rover-lander itself

screenshot77.png

Profit!

screenshot78.png

I am landing close enough but let's drive right up to the Mun Arch.

screenshot80.png

The newbie badge exists, and it has been created by @cratercracker. I assure you that it will be worth the challenge, and that it is very...shiny. Anyway, as we have enlisted professional help, it will be professional. There is only one version of the medal though, so one has only to win one medal to say they completed the newbie challenge. However.....there might be medals for the 5th, 10th, and other numbers of completion. I would expect if those medals existed, they will be very special.....just saying ;)

Happy Explosions!

Edited by Alpha 360

7 hours ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

Thanks for clarifying the rules.

Reveal hidden contents

I have done similar searches in another save and knew there are a few anomalies near the equator, but for this save I still need to send the RoverMate probe to pinpoint them

screenshot75.png

Then the rover-lander itself

screenshot77.png

Profit!

screenshot78.png

I am landing close enough but let's drive right up to the Mun Arch.

screenshot80.png

Good another badge @TheFlyingKerman! Good job!

16 hours ago, doggonemess said:

In the meantime, I sent Val up on a recon mission. Spoiler below, if you want to find anomalies by yourself.

Reveal hidden contents

Since I know there are arches near the equator. Didn't take long to find one.

CZj5nGe.png

Thank you for putting that in a spoiler!

Edited by kerbalstar

4 minutes ago, W. Kerman said:

Okay, Mun Landing by an anomaly?

Because I’m more of a video editing newbie than a KSP newbie, it’s 40 minutes long. I’m on my phone, so I can’t post a picture of the landing.

Good job and another ENCCC badge @W. Kerman!

General Universal Internal Memo:

Operation: POSTER BOY

Operation success achieved, recommended future considerations:

• Use of HSODV transport removes use of action groups from spacecraft
  • Increased fuel load, or add middle stage to extend range
  • Use non-action group reliant orbital delivery for action group reliant spacecraft
  • Designated rescue craft for now-stranded vessel

3 hours ago, Lucast0909 said:

General Universal Internal Memo:

Operation: POSTER BOY

Operation success achieved, recommended future considerations:

• Use of HSODV transport removes use of action groups from spacecraft
  • Increased fuel load, or add middle stage to extend range
  • Use non-action group reliant orbital delivery for action group reliant spacecraft
  • Designated rescue craft for now-stranded vessel

Yay, you posted @Lucast0909! Another ENCCC medal for you! It's very shiny, when you get it! Cool plane! If I may ask, what happened with the Action Groups?

The SSTO I used to deliver the Not-An-Ispirit-Ripoff to orbit uses the same action groups for different purposes, and since I wanted to use the SSTO, I had to get rid of the action groups on the Not-An-Ispirit-Ripoff. For example, I didn't want the VTOL thrusters on the orbital vehicle firing when I switched the RAPIERs on the SSTO from airbreathing to closed cycle.

Edited by Lucast0909

2 hours ago, Lucast0909 said:

The SSTO I used to deliver the Not-An-Ispirit-Ripoff to orbit uses the same action groups for different purposes, and since I wanted to use the SSTO, I had to get rid of the action groups on the Not-An-Ispirit-Ripoff. For example, I didn't want the VTOL thrusters on the orbital vehicle  firing when I switched the RAPIERs on the SSTO from airbreathing to closed cycle.

Yeah, that would be bad. Ask @Kuzzter, he had to make a chart! Also, read Kerbfleet will you're at it, the series is good great! Also, I think there's a page I haven't read, I need to fix that!

28 minutes ago, kingstevenrules said:

Land near an anomaly on the Mun, huh? Challenge Accepted. *Fires up KSP*

Good to hear!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.