Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

On 5/7/2018 at 11:38 AM, Alpha 360 said:

NEWBIE CENTRAL

Hello to everyone reading this! This thread is a collaboration of myself, @kerbalstar, @obney kerman, and last but not least, @VelocityPolaris. It is our goal to help introduce Newbies to some of the more time-consuming and difficult aspects about KSP, ranging from Interplanetary Travel, 

27Bt7RK.png

(My screenshot)

To multiple-launch bases

JOc4Kjf.jpg

(@kerbalstar's screenshot)

To Space Stations

DOOM.png

(@VelocityPolaris's screenshot)

To aircraft, SSTOs, and VTOLs. 

a8fB21W.png

(@obney kerman's screenshot)

Also, just as a side note, people with more than 750 rep (unless you're a moderator) can not participate in challenges here, as it is reserved for the new-comers! Yes, I will resign as a sub-author of this post when my rep reaches 750, I follow my own rules ;)

Anyway, if you have reached this far, and you are a newbie wanting a challenge to push you forward, or a player who has barely touched KSP and needs motivation to get back into the game, this is your thread. At the beginning of each week, one of the four of us will post a "mini-challenge". This challenge will be something simple and easy to complete, but the point is to defeat the challenge. For example, a person here will submit a Duna Probe challenge. Then it would be your goal to submit a reply, which would be a Duna relay satellite network. This will trump the original challenge, and then you will receive a "Electronic Newbie Central Challenge Completion"(ENCCC) medal. 

This doesn't mean that all of these challenges will be that hard. There will be a Mun anomaly challenge, a Kerbin space-station challenge, a VTOL aircraft challenge.....the list goes on and on. There will be links below to all of the different challenges, but the challenges have an expiration date. If you don't submit your challenge mission report within 10 days of the challenge, it will not count. Also, using cheat mods or the cheat menu is NOT allowed for obvious reasons. You are free to use whatever mods you can use that don't make you feel bad, but if the mod used is determined to be extremely cheaty, the four sub-authors will vote with each other and then disqualify the entry. 

Good luck and I hope you all win a medal or two from this thread! 

Happy Explosions!

Lemme guess why there are separators on the docking ports: escape pods.

49 minutes ago, Fraston said:

Lemme guess why there are separators on the docking ports: escape pods.

Please snip the text and all non-relevant pictures.

The challenge is now closed!

Thanks to everyone who participated!  @Alpha 360  will hand out the medals, and @obney kerman will post the next challenge! 

Edited by kerbalstar

Alright then, @kerbalstar. Here are the medals!

@4x4cheesecake, here is your medal for your mission to the Alien Dish. 

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@hoioh, here is your medal for your mission to the Memorial

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@PrvDancer85, here is your medal for your mission to the Alien Dish.

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@Kergarin, here is your medal for your mission to the Memorial.

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@Cunjo Carl, here is your medal for your mission to a Mun Arch.

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@doggonemess, here is your medal for your mission to a Mun Arch.

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@TheFlyingKerman, here is your medal for your mission to a Mun Arch.

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@W. Kerman, here is your medal for your mission to the Memorial. 

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@Lucast0909, here is your medal for your mission to a Monolith

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

Thanks everyone for participating! @obney kerman will set up the next challenge here shortly. I think you guys will like it ;)

9 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

The challenge is now closed!

Thanks to everyone who participated!  @Alpha 360  will hand out the medals, and @obney kerman will post the next challenge! 

Aw come on, I just finished! Oh well, guess I don't get a medal, but here's the mission anyway. I think some might like it. 

Edited by 53miner53

You know what, @53miner53, we'll give you the medal because the other challenge isn't up yet. This will be the new rule, if the challenge is closed but the next challenge hasn't popped up, then you can submit and win a medal. 

Here's your medal. 

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

Happy Explosions!

1 hour ago, Alpha 360 said:

You know what, @53miner53, we'll give you the medal because the other challenge isn't up yet. This will be the new rule, if the challenge is closed but the next challenge hasn't popped up, then you can submit and win a medal. 

Sounds good!

Challenge 2: Mun station!!

PujXVK6.png

My current mun station, the Mun Orbital Research and Refueling Outpost (MORRO)

A space station is an important part of your progression in the game. For this challenge, I need you to build one around the Mun!

Prerequisites:

• Must have at least 2 modules.

• Must carry at least 4 kerbals.

• Must have a storage of liquid fuel and oxidizer for refueling.

• Must have at least 2 open docking ports for arriving craft.

The rest is all up to you. Complete the challenge and you will be awarded an ENCC medal!

EDIT: Don't worry @4x4cheesecake, it only took 7 hours!

Edited by obney kerman

I've got a Mun station! The core station has the huge fuel tank (which is full), hab module, and cupola. Launched separately were the science lab and ore refinery. They split in twain and then linked up to the core station in two different places. My Kerbals look super excited to be there, so mission successful. 

Here's a photo log of the mission: https://imgur.com/a/fwUuoZb

The finished product:

xbeA7BS.png

I might have been a little too liberal with the solar panels and radiators...

Also finished my station :) Got some troubles during contruction in space and had to work around but actually thats the most fun I have while playing^^

Unfortunately, one of the solar panels got ripped of while opening the fairing and I haven't noticed it until the end of the whole mission :(:(

goUXKwl.png

Mission diary: https://imgur.com/gallery/Ug8kHE9

Several visual mods installed, also KER and EditorExtensions (without 'cheat' offset, just used for surface attachment and vertical/horizontal snap) and some 'Making History' parts are used.

Build in 6 launches, station contains:

4 modules (docking station, ISRU & tank base, laboratory & some habitats, more habitats & antennas & solar array)

6 tanks for liquid fuel & oxidizer (4x rockomax jumbo 64 aka 'orange tank' + 2x rockomax x200-32) + 4x large [Ore] holding tanks + 1x FL-R1 RCS fuel tank

1x laboratory (+several experiments)

1x ISRU

5x hitchhiker storage + 1 cupola

9x unused docking ports

2x medium heat control system

5x gigantor xl solar array (still bugs me) + 5 RTG

3x communotron 88-88

several batteries to keep 16445 units of electricity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.