Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

Its time to give out the medals! 

I would also like to introduce @Lucast0909 who has created the next tier of medals for those who have already won a micro-challenge. @Lucast0909, take a bow! He will soon be officially joining the administration team right after the next challenge is put up. 

@doggonemess, here is your Tier II medal!

Spoiler

stbUbhi.png

@4x4cheesecake, here is your Tier II medal!

Spoiler

stbUbhi.png

@Barzon Kerman, here is your Tier I medal!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@SiriusRocketry, here is your Tier I medal!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@hoioh, here is your Tier II medal!

Spoiler

stbUbhi.png

@Lucast0909, thanks for joining the team and here is your Tier II medal!

Spoiler

stbUbhi.png

@W. Kerman, here is your Tier II medal!

Spoiler

stbUbhi.png

@Kerbolitto, here is your Tier I medal!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@Scarecrow, here is your Tier I medal!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@Dr. SpaceFreak, here is your Tier I Medal!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

If you received the wrong medal, or were omitted from this list, please contact me and I'll iron out the difficulties. 

Happy Explosions!

Edited by Alpha 360

@Barzon Kerman, click on your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen when fully scrolled up. On the list of options that appear, single out "Account Settings". In there you can edit your signature. 

Happy Explosions!

Edited by Alpha 360

What was the difference between tier I and 2 medals?

Great challenge, definitely down for this airborne challenge... Hope it involves building a plane (I'm useless) and landing at island runway. 

Edited by SiriusRocketry

1 hour ago, Alpha 360 said:

here is your Mk2 medal!

Mk2 medal :o:o

Thank you and also thank you @Lucast0909 for creating such a nice medal :)

Already excited for the next challenge :D

edit: While adding the mk2 medal to my signature I've noticed that there is much more "white" arouind the new one....am I allowed to change this on my own so both medals will fit in the signature?

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

Kerbal States Military-Mission File 10046

OPERATION RED DAWN

TOP SECRET, GS-13 CLEARANCE ONLY!

Your mission is to launch a military probe into the orbit of Duna which we will use to scope out possible landing sites and mining bases for future expeditions. The best company to launch this mission will be rewarded with a badge and the United Kerbal States Military's respect. 

MISSION REQUIREMENTS: 

• Probe must have the telescope recently released
  • Must be able to generate power through Solar Panels. (NO RTGS)
  • Launch vehicle should be launched at night and MUST BE UNTRACEABLE (Eg. Put fuel reserves in one the boosters to deorbit them.)
  • Probe must be able to relay information back to Kerbin without any relay satellites. 
  • Probe must be placed in a stable orbit around Duna. 

Dismissed!

I know the telescope can't be used outside of solar orbit. It's for fun.

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

Is this a valid challenge since @Lo Var Lachland has more then 750 rep and isn't allowed to post here? :P

Got some questions aswell: Is it required to enable CommNet during the whole mission? If the answer is 'yes': 'Extra groundstations' allowed? (would be pretty tough without them). Is it allowed to use a manned ship to place the probe in duna orbit (to avoid a dead probe during a CommNet blackout) which will return to kerbin after the probe is in a stable orbit?

2 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Kerbal States Military-Mission File 10046

OPERATION RED DAWN

TOP SECRET, GS-13 CLEARANCE ONLY

Uh, @Lo Var Lachland, you can't post challenges here.

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Is this a valid challenge since @Lo Var Lachland-snip-

No. To clarify, only me @Alpha 360, @VelocityPolaris, and @obney kerman can post challenges here.

4 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

@Lucast0909(Can't take that out on mobile, it seems.)

Already excited for the next challenge :D

edit: While adding the mk2 medal to my signature I've noticed that there is much more "white" arouind the new one....am I allowed to change this on my own so both medals will fit in the signature?

Good to hear! I would think so but I don't know. @Alpha 360?

4 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Uh, @Lo Var Lachland, you can't post challenges here.

Aw for Pete's sake. 

You know i was a newbie once too. Making challenges FOR noobs is not really a big deal in my opinion. 

Rep doesn't make me a pro you know. It just means I've posted here more. 

Did you know I've never been past Jool, and have never rendezvoused or docked without autopilot? Just sayin... 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

@Lo Var Lachland, only the co-authors, namely myself, @kerbalstar, @VelocityPolaris, @obney kerman, and our new addition to the crew, @Lucast0909 can post challenges. If you want, you can apply for joining the co-authors and then post your challenge but @VelocityPolaris  is the next one posting a challenge. After him then @Lucast0909 will post his challenge. If you join by then, then after @Lucast0909 you can post your challenge. Sorry for the miscommunication. 

EDIT:

3 hours ago, Lo Var Lachland said:

Aw for Pete's sake. 

Well, seeing as you swore for my sake (my real name's pete), I've given you a way to re-post that challenge.

Happy Explosions!

Edited by Alpha 360

12 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

While adding the mk2 medal to my signature I've noticed that there is much more "white" arouind the new one....am I allowed to change this on my own so both medals will fit in the signature?

Sure! Change it up all you want. Its your medal now ;)

Happy Explosions!

10 hours ago, Alpha 360 said:

@Lo Var Lachland, only the co-authors, namely myself, @kerbalstar, @VelocityPolaris, @obney kerman, and our new addition to the crew, @Lucast0909 can post challenges. If you want, you can apply for joining the co-authors and then post your challenge but @VelocityPolaris  is the next one posting a challenge. After him then @Lucast0909 will post his challenge. If you join by then, then after @Lucast0909 you can post your challenge. Sorry for the miscommunication. 

EDIT:

Well, seeing as you swore for my sake (my real name's pete), I've given you a way to re-post that challenge.

Happy Explosions!

Or, you can post this as a new challenge. Start a whole line of military themed space missions. I wouldn't mind doing this one.

Jamie

1 hour ago, doggonemess said:

Or, you can post this as a new challenge. Start a whole line of military themed space missions. I wouldn't mind doing this one.

Jamie

I agree! Sounds good!:)

@doggonemess, I’m not supportive of military themed challenges because they require BD Armory, and not all of us know how to use mods and how to download them. Also, as all of the readers and participants are not using the latest version of KSP (I’m still using 1.3.1), modding will be more difficult. Maybe a stock military challenge, but I would like to think that Stock KPS should be devoid of military aspects. Of course, if 3 or more of the co-authors disagree, that’s fine but @VelocityPolaris has been working hard on making this challenge and I would dislike it if he had to trash his work on it. 

Happy Explosions!

Edited by Alpha 360

29 minutes ago, Alpha 360 said:

@doggonemess, I’m not supportive of military themed challenges because they require BD Armory, and not all of us know how to use mods and how to download them. Also, as all of the readers and participants are not using the latest version of KSP (I’m still using 1.3.1), modding will be more difficult. Maybe a stock military challenge, but I would like to think that Stock KPS should be devoid of military aspects. Of course, if 3 or more of the co-authors disagree, that’s fine but @VelocityPolaris has been working hard on making this challenge and I would dislike it if he had to trash his work on it. 

Happy Explosions!

I wouldn't want to do it if it required BD Armory. I'm thinking of just military context, like spy satellites and such. 

I agree that space shouldn't involve the military, but having a variety of missions is fun.

1 hour ago, Alpha 360 said:

Happy Explosions!

49 minutes ago, doggonemess said:

I wouldn't want to do it if it required BD Armory. I'm thinking of just military context, like spy satellites and such. 

I agree that space shouldn't involve the military, but having a variety of missions is fun.

I agree, I meant a separate thread.

Challenge III: Glider

Screen_Shot_2018-05-27_at_3.17.40_PM.png

Top 10 scariest photos taken moments before disaster The Kipper, my only rocket glider with no crashes on its record. Currently piloted by Jeb.

Space is exciting and all, but now it's time for a more down-to-Kerbin sort of challenge. Now, I know what you're actually probably not thinking, that just flapping your wings about a small area of Kerbin is way too boring. And it might be a little boring, but making aircraft is an important skill in KSP - SSTO (single-stage-to-orbit) spaceplanes are pretty goshdarn popular (I think there might be a cult centred around them), and maybe you should try to make some less ambitious aircraft first. Just keep in mind that possibly boring doesn't mean easy - making an airworthy airplane is usually harder than a spaceworthy rocket. So without further ado, here are the specifics of your assignment.

Le Challenge: Make a glider. Obviously, things without engines can't take off, so you'll probably have to stick some sepratrons on it. The acronym for this is RATO, or Rocket Assisted Take Off. The trick to making an aircraft that flies, besides it having a tail, is for the centre of lift icon to be slightly behind the centre off mass icon.

Rule 1: You should put a separate "reference object" on or next to the runway prior to takeoff, as a way of measuring roughly how far you've flown. This can be a Kerbal, a strut, a command pod, a rover, whatevs. Measure how far you fly.

Rule 2: There is no such rule.

Rule 3: Your source of propulsion must shut down 5 seconds or less after take-off, and no more engines may be activated in-flight. 

Rule 4: After takeoff, pick a direction and fly in a generally straight line.

Rule 5: There must be at least one Kerbal aboard.

Rule 6: You are limited to a maximum TWR of 200 KN takeoff thrust per 10 tonnes of craft mass. 

Rule 7: The pilot must survive the entire flight, even if he/she is a nameless extra, and even if they are wearing a red shirt. 

Rule 8: To actually complete the challenge, your glider must fly at least 4.2 km away from your reference object.

As stated above, you only need to travel 4.2 kilometres to complete the challenge and earn your ENCCC medal, but the more distance, the merrier. I was going to rank everyone by distance, but Alpha360 says no. Still, the top 3 scorers for distance get a special pilot edition medal that I threw together.

Current Top 3:

Spoiler

1. @doggonemess - Kerglider BLT 2A, ~53 KM?

2. @hoioh - 30 KM

3. @Scarecrow - 20.3 KM

People who've earned a medal via this challenge:

Comic Sans MS best font

Edited by VelocityPolaris

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.