Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

!General Universal Public Announcement!

New Operation Established, Designate: Operation DELIVERANCE

56OnmNg.png

It has come to our attention at General Universal that a mentality of expendability has been assigned to the Kerbals hired for use in our space programs, leading to many stranded Kerbals across the Kerbin system. Obviously, this cannot continue, therefore, to regain public confidence in our space programs and return many of our kerbonauts to their families we have decided to launch Operation DELIVERANCE. Your objectives are simple:

• Return kerbals currently residing in a partially destroyed or stranded vessel on another body to kerbin or anywhere with long-term habitation capabilities (Any station with a hitchhiker module).
  • If the vessel is stranded on the surface of another body (as above), and is refueled to enable rescue, only one kerbal must be returned
  • If the vessel is partially destroyed and rescue is completed via secondary craft, at least two kerbals must be rescued
  • The rescued vessel must be in an orbit or on the surface of a body other than Kerbin

How you complete these objectives is up to you, should you succeed in your efforts you will be compensated with a medal properly ranked to your previous accomplishments in this thread. If you do not have any currently stranded kerbals, consider this a training exercise to prepare for the future. Good luck, and godspeed mission directors.

Image log for GU's Operation DELIVERANCE for the orbital reconnaissance fighter Lupuspiritus-1 found here: https://imgur.com/a/641wAmA

Sorry for being late with the medals. Here they are!

@4x4cheesecake, here is your Tier III medal for traveling 29 kms!

Spoiler

4Rjy5Ha.jpg

@hoioh, here is your Tier III medal for traveling 30 kilometers!

Spoiler

4Rjy5Ha.jpg

@Scarecrow, here is your tier II medal for going 20 kilometers!

Spoiler

stbUbhi.png

@Lucast0909, here is your Tier III medal for going 15 kilometers!

Spoiler

4Rjy5Ha.jpg

@rSSSfeed, here is your Tier I medal for going 7 kilometers!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@kerbalstar, here is your tier I medal for going 10.5 kilometers!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@doggonemess, here is your tier III medal for going 70 kilometers!

Spoiler

4Rjy5Ha.jpg

@SpacePanda, here is your tier one medal for going 20 kilometers!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@Ho Lam Kerman, here is your tier I medal for going 8.9 kilometers!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@TheFlyingKerman, here is your tier III medal for going 4.5 kilometers!

Spoiler

4Rjy5Ha.jpg

@Zeiss Ikon, here is your tier I medal for going 6 kilometers!

Spoiler

2rmkuhy.jpg

@SiriusRocketry, here is your tier III medal for going 11 kilometers!

Spoiler

4Rjy5Ha.jpg

The judges awards will be handed out soon, sent to those who it concerns by message. Again, if there is anything wrong with the medals, please contact me and correct me. This is rather hurried, so I'm sorry if I left anyone out. 

Happy Explosions!

My entry for the latest challenge.

4 Kerbals are enjoying their rotation on Minmus Base, but looking forward to the day they return to Kerbin.

chall41.png

The craft chosen to perform this rotation of staff is of uncertain origin, but it seems to work

Spoiler

chall42.png

I think they can walk from there

Spoiler

chall43.png

I can almost see my house from here

Spoiler

chall44.png

"Wow, I'd forgotten what fresh air smells like."

"Actually, I think that's kow poop you can smell!"

Spoiler

chall45.png

Edited by Scarecrow

4 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

@Lucast0909 Are cheats allowed to set up a story around this mission? I got a nice idea but I'll need a station in Kerbin orbit, which is not involved in the rescue mission, it's just for the story. I would like to use the station from the second challenge and I can save a lot of time by cheating a copy into orbit.

Err... Depends, what is the function of your station within the story? If the station is the object that the kerbals are being rescued from, then I don't mind, although remember the station has to be in another body's orbit. If the station is the delivery location for the kerbals, I'd say no, you'd have to build the station first (doesn't have to be anything big, a single-launch station is fine, it just has to be a station: space built structure designed to permanently stay in orbit and provide a capability for kerbal habitation, regardless of additional functions).

Edited by Lucast0909

32 minutes ago, Lucast0909 said:

Err... Depends, what is the function of your station within the story? If the station is the object that the kerbals are being rescued from, then I don't mind, although remember the station has to be in another body's orbit. If the station is the delivery location for the kerbals, I'd say no, you'd have to build the station first (doesn't have to be anything big, a single-launch station is fine, it just has to be a station: space built structure designed to permanently stay in orbit and provide a capability for kerbal habitation, regardless of additional functions).

Ok, thanks :) I need the station just for the 'prequel'^^

Val Rescue mission completed! https://imgur.com/a/YQutdMI Images are in reverse order. Oops.

Val was still on the Mun from several weeks ago. Apparently in all the excitement, we forgot to bring her back from Newbie Mission 1. I sent a rescue in the form of my OmniVerted Cube Lander. Of course, it only has a one-seat pod, and wasn't designed to get off the Mun, so that wasn't well thought out. Then I launched a proper rocket with a three-man pod to rescue the rescue party and Val. They made it back home in one piece! (more or less)

8ZWzCau.png

@doggonemess Ignore this, I think I misread your post

Just to clarify: You had to rescue both the original crew member and the crew member from the poorly-planned-rescue vehicle. Have I got that right?

Edited by Lucast0909

4 minutes ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

@Alpha 360Thanks whats the next challenge?

Scroll up a bit on this page to find it, it's a crew resque

Here's a little sneak peak at my CRV, short for Crew Rotation Vehicle. It will be bringing folks to my Duna orbital station and surface base and return the old crew. The surface crew can get back to the orbital station on their own, but we'll refuel the CRV shuttle on the surface so they don't have to.

RgkG5yx.jpg

15 hours ago, Lucast0909 said:

@doggonemess Ignore this, I think I misread your post

Just to clarify: You had to rescue both the original crew member and the crew member from the poorly-planned-rescue vehicle. Have I got that right?

No problem, rescuing both was exactly what I did. :)

If I read the rules correctly, returning home without a vehicle being rescued means that you had to rescue at least two Kerbals. Since I only had one on the Mun, I needed an excuse to put another one up there.

Edited by doggonemess

Maybe, I've overdone this one :D:D

Short version to submit:

8 tourists, Bill, Bob, Jeb and Val are stranded on Duna. Bill got separated from the ship during a heroic EVA and landed with his personal parachute:

Spoiler

ZgIsBev.png

Rescue mission will be performed by Helbro (one of my favourite random name^^)

Spoiler

kDoc3EG.png

Since tourists cannot go on EVA, a rover is used to transfer them to the rescue ship:

Spoiler

VHtmc80.png

PJfCaaM.png

Of course, Bill will be rescued as well:

Spoiler

LmxdO8U.png

Back to Kerbin:

Spoiler

82hrLb9.png

Final screens:

Spoiler

NhkLr0L.png

1eZmzjN.png

gVbRpXI.png

As usual, I've used some visual mods, also Maneuvernode Evolved, RCS Build AID, KER and Editor Extensions Redux.

I've created an imgur album for the whole rescue mission:  https://imgur.com/a/vzlvhRN

And a second album for the prequel (how the crash happend): https://imgur.com/a/SQMz2ME

Both albums are pretty picture heavy, roughly 60 screens in each album and a little story is told in the description.

During the prequel, I've used the debug menu to get a spacestation in kerbin orbit but this should be fine since the station is not involved in the rescue mission, just for a little twist during the prequel ;)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

12 hours ago, Alpha 360 said:

I must say.....tweak-scale was involved? That's fine, but I feel sorry for your computer. If you put through horrors of that size too often, it'll probably go 'poof'. I speak from experience. ;)

4th gen I7-4970K with a corsair H80i waterblock gets the job done :cool:

Very little tweakscaling involved in this particular design thoug, mostly large mod parts from one of the 20 or so mods im currently running on this install

Edited by hoioh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.