Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

7 hours ago, hoioh said:

You can still do them, just not ffor realz

That's a very good point. Didn't think of that..... Hmm. OK then. 

12 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

You are not? You posted the challenge :o

I'm actually curious if we can recreate the 'damaged' skylab as well? With just one of the big solar panels and some gold foil?

I was invited to participate, but I'd say the originators of the thread would be the boss-Kerbals.

I think that building the damaged Skylab sounds really cool - it doesn't need to match what I built, and doesn't necessarily have to match the idealised version of Skylab either. As long as it can do the things in the list of requirements, it could be anything you can imagine.

2 minutes ago, doggonemess said:

I was invited to participate, but I'd say the originators of the thread would be the boss-Kerbals.

I think that building the damaged Skylab sounds really cool - it doesn't need to match what I built, and doesn't necessarily have to match the idealised version of Skylab either. As long as it can do the things in the list of requirements, it could be anything you can imagine.

Well, in my opinion, an invitation followed by posting a challenges makes you a 'boss' kerbal as well^^

Actually I didn't notice that the pictures I've used to build my skylab are showing a damaged version until I've read the wiki article and that the golden foil and just a single main solar panel are not the build originally launched into space xD (I'm sorry but not really interessted in space history :o )

Good to know that the skylab doesn't need to be very accurate since I don't have any idea where to attach the antenna dish^^

Hello there ! Here is my entry to the last challenge :

I present you SkyLabz (nobody would have think of that)

This is the launching in a far too big SSTO, but it is currently the only one who has a very long 2.5m. fairing.

Spoiler

egeyvt.jpg

Here is the lab fully functionnal :

Spoiler

ctarfh.jpg

The spaceplane is departing, leaving Rayrim Podzor and Irfrid stranded on the shores of Kerbin's gravity field, granted they may escape crab's attacks up here !

Spoiler

2c9fjv.jpg

Now the escape pod is returning after finishing the "science" stuff, namely testing how cookies would fly in space and how much apple pie crumbs can you fit into an air-filter before suffocating.

Spoiler

bonb10.jpg

Down here to wash the pod.

Spoiler

dm5axt.jpg

Here you can see the Tally-Ho v1 bringing a new module with 4 more docks, a new escape pod and 3 new Kerbals to clean everything up inside the Labz.

(actually you can't see it because it's in the fairing, and the picture is quite dark).

Spoiler

88k3s5.jpg

And now the station is complete again, with some new stuff !

Spoiler

rgqwuk.jpg

Thanks for reading, that's it for tonight this morning ! :D

Finished this challenge as well :)

xMoksMD.png

Short Mission Log:

Spoiler

Launching the Skylab:

N5FTVLX.jpg

9iPG14a.jpg

Placed at 240km orbit:

DOBVnXF.jpg

Skylab is ready and awaits its crew:

g5IjuxW.jpg

First crew ready to go:

ZyYq0nl.jpg

yf09Pmd.jpg

uRfmsvq.jpg

Doing some science stuff ;)

nI36ovf.jpg

Prepare the crew rotation:

cKkykuJ.jpg

IfEzjps.jpg

Waiting for the old crew to leave the Skylab:

TfcEYgV.jpg

Docked the new ship and transfer the crew:

GtB5AoS.jpg

Return the old crew:

ThwcKIs.jpg

If anybody is still curious how 3 Kerbals fit in this ship...there was a hidden lander can all the time^^

Fpp4xwm.jpg

First Skylab crew returned to Kerbin :)

C0ME6cQ.jpg

Album with more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ZGE3slI

As usual, some visual mods are installed, also KER, EEX, and Orbital Science to get a proper solar experiment for the Skylab ;)

2 hours ago, Kerbolitto said:

Great looking station !

Does those visual mods require lots of computing ? My CPU is already quite hot, but they Kerbin looks awesome !

Actually...I don't know^^ I got a i7-6700k and a gtx 980ti...one of my CPU cores is always at 100%, the gpu looks a bit bored and the game is running at 55-60 fps (limited at 60) but right now I have no readouts of a pure stock install to compare.

General Universal Internal Memo:

Operation: CENTAUR

Operation success achieved, future considerations:

• Chrysaor OV-235 in need of replacement: no longer sufficient for orbital delivery needs

• Recommend replacing Sleipnir OV-180 with functionally superior Abraxas OV-192

• Recommend addition of A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S. to all future SSTOs to reduce speed in upper atmosphere

KASA Space Station entry

I assume it's OK to launch this station in several parts, which are assembled in orbit.  My effort was launched in 5 parts; the station core, a habitation module, a comms and power supply module and 2 science modules.  The life boat pod was sent up last, with a crew for the station, now that we could get them home in the event of an emergency.  Unfortunately it was soon realised that someone at KASA had misread the requirements, and the initial orbit for the station was set at 350km.  Fortunately a small engine was included as part of the core module, and it was a fairly simple process to reduce the orbit to meet the actual requirements.  Oh the joys of being a rocket scientist.

Image heavy mission report

Spoiler

Station core on the pad

sts5801.jpg 

Station core deployed

sts5804.jpg

Habitation module on the pad

sts5806.jpg

Habitation module attached to the core

sts5811.jpg

Power and comms module on the pad

sts5814.jpg

Jeb has just finished attaching the comms module, and lingers awhile just to make sure the panels ans antennas all deploy correctly

sts5816.jpg

Science processing module on the pad

sts5817.jpg

Jeb has to be really careful getting this one out of the bay as it's a really tight fit

sts5820.jpg

But this is Jeb we are talking about here, so everything goes without a hitch

sts5822.jpg

Second science module on the pad

sts5825.jpg

The final module is the emergency lifeboat, able to bring 3 Kerbals back to Kerbin if there is ever a problem on the station

sts91.jpg

The final station, fully assembled and crewed

sts92.jpg

With the shakedown crew on the station confirming that all is well, the first scientific crew gets ready to take their place

sts6.jpg

All snugly docked while the crew exchange takes place

sts7.jpg

Safely back at KSC.  The F3 menu doesn't show much due to the number of launches and swapping between craft, but here it is anyway

sts8.jpg

Final image showing the final orbit set at around 225km

sts9.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow

18 hours ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

when is the next challenge we seem to be on the fourth for a week or more.

I haven't had to time to do the challenges because there to hard and fast

What is the challenge we need to do

I get what you're saying and I agree these should be short challenges you can do in a single night, maybe 2. But so far, other than me making it rediculously hard on myself, they have been.

Launching a small, skylab lookalike station on a rocket and then sending up crew twice does not have to be hard Elon, it depends on how hard we tend to make it whether or not it may scare away others.

I'll do a smaller launch that would qualify for this challenge to show it can be done the easy way, after dinner

Well, as promised I would record performing this weeks challenge in easy mode in such a way it can be done in a couple hours. Took me something like an hour and a half or so, but done some other stuff in between and there's some waiting involved, plus I had to relaunch my crew vessel after waiting for a long time because I forgot to put power on it. but I compressed it down to about 20 minutes worth of video. I use the mouse to point out some things to keep an eye on and yes I have Mechjeb open because it's a great tool for all sorts of info. So without further ado:

1 hour ago, hoioh said:

Well, as promised I would record performing this weeks challenge in easy mode in such a way it can be done in a couple hours. Took me something like an hour and a half or so, but done some other stuff in between and there's some waiting involved, plus I had to relaunch my crew vessel after waiting for a long time because I forgot to put power on it. but I compressed it down to about 20 minutes worth of video. I use the mouse to point out some things to keep an eye on and yes I have Mechjeb open because it's a great tool for all sorts of info. So without further ado:

Am I allowed to use Life support cuase I have MKS

1 hour ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

Am I allowed to use Life support cuase I have MKS

Yes! Sure, go right ahead! I'd give ya bonus points if we had 'em!

On 6/24/2018 at 9:02 AM, The Minmus Derp said:

What i meant was, can you do this with a planet pack that replaces Kerbin?

Minmus, I'm sorry, I was super-confused, I didn't understand that you just wanted to do the Skylab launch from Gaia. Poor little tiny space rock, you probably feel all pushed around and bullied by the big planets. I say go right on ahead. It's just Kerbin with some rings and weird bits about the mun, right?

21 minutes ago, VelocityPolaris said:

Yes! Sure, go right ahead! I'd give ya bonus points if we had 'em!

Minmus, I'm sorry, I was super-confused, I didn't understand that you just wanted to do the Skylab launch from Gaia. Poor little tiny space rock, you probably feel all pushed around and bullied by the big planets. I say go right on ahead. It's just Kerbin with some rings and weird bits about the mun, right?

Ok my skylab would be nice and good with up to 20 days of food if I just have a small life pack and a recycler 

1 minute ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

Ok my skylab would be nice and good with up to 20 days of food if I just have a small life pack and a recycler 

Oh, well, uh, that's not a lot. Especially if Bill finds the snack cabinet, he does have that unfortunate habit of eating whenever he finds something to get nervous about, like, say, razor-thin ration margins. But you're the boss, you decide where the budget cuts hit hardest. 

2 minutes ago, VelocityPolaris said:

Oh, well, uh, that's not a lot. Especially if Bill finds the snack cabinet, he does have that unfortunate habit of eating whenever he finds something to get nervous about, like, say, razor-thin ration margins. But you're the boss, you decide where the budget cuts hit hardest. 

I can put a food dome on it so I can make more food so bill can have more food 

Valatina is best

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.