Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

So, it is pretty hot in my appartment (somewhere around 40°C / 104°F) and maybe I missed something or my brain melted and I just already forgot it but I just scrolled though the last pages and I cannot find anything about the medal for challenge #7. Is there no one (yet?) or did you just forgot to post it? Are there no more medals for the challenges?

Also: C'mon fellow kerbonauts, how can it be that I'm still the only one who did challenge #8 (beside VelocityPolaris obviously)? It is really fun and can be  done quickly :) 

I think I probably dropped the ball on this one. I let the team know that the medal was done but I didn't have time to post it as I just started my new job. I can post it, but I haven't read through the reports, so we'd be working off the honor system I think.

Full size:

CT0vBGW.jpg

Pocket size:

HS0Zzpy.jpg

34 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

So, it is pretty hot in my appartment (somewhere around 40°C / 104°F) and maybe I missed something or my brain melted and I just already forgot it but I just scrolled though the last pages and I cannot find anything about the medal for challenge #7. Is there no one (yet?) or did you just forgot to post it? Are there no more medals for the challenges?

Also: C'mon fellow kerbonauts, how can it be that I'm still the only one who did challenge #8 (beside VelocityPolaris obviously)? It is really fun and can be  done quickly :) 

Also, I'm definitely doing challenge #8, even if I am on the team. Just need some free time.

2 minutes ago, doggonemess said:

I think I probably dropped the ball on this one. I let the team know that the medal was done but I didn't have time to post it as I just started my new job. I can post it, but I haven't read through the reports, so we'd be working off the honor system I think.

Thanks for clarification :) A new job is indeed 'slightly' more important than a virtual medal, I was just curious since the medal wasn't mentioned at all ;)

General Universal Internal Memo:

Feasibility Test: Mission Without Real-Time Craft Simulation System, AKA The Omniscient Chase Cam

• Mission Images:
  • Spoiler

1yi3WRu.png

yaNwDkA.png

lYS93Hm.png

2Ff29d9.png

ux2X7lB.png

Note: Included in here is one of the three times it was absolutely necessary to go third person, the one here is when the ailerons had to have their deploy limits changed so as to prevent them hitting the runway on landing, the other two were enabling and disabling the toggle brakes button.

The test was a near-complete success, a few notable issues:

• During reentry the craft went into a flat spin; it probably prevented damage from overheating (reentry was a bit on the fast side), but losing control of the aircraft is not a recommended future tactic for slowing down during reentry.
  • There are still a multitude of tasks that the RTCSS is necessary for: tweaking control surfaces in-flight is one of them.
  • Without the RTCSS the pilot seemed a bit more heavy-handed on the stick, obviously this didn't affect the mission, but the Missions Evaluation Department would still like to put it to the Kerbonauts Health & Readiness Department to either give the pilot additional flight training or investigate the affects of reduced situational awareness on existing pilots.

Finally had the time to do this challenge (in between planning and designing a rediculously complicated Duna base for another challenge):

Just after the video ends there's a weird glitch where suddenly the ground turns up (KSC is somehow underwater when I come in for landing, glitch with one of the many mods I'm running no doubt) but I'm certain that I would have been able to stop in time without the glitch.

On 7/29/2018 at 7:41 AM, hoioh said:

Just after the video ends there's a weird glitch where suddenly the ground turns up (KSC is somehow underwater when I come in for landing, glitch with one of the many mods I'm running no doubt) but I'm certain that I would have been able to stop in time without the glitch.

Eh, good enough, the insurance covers glitches in the fabric of reality.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the momentum has stalled somewhat due to the leader of the thread departing and summer activities / new job has reduced some of our availability. I'd like to make sure it keeps going, as we're all enjoying it greatly.

I'm going to check in with the team and see what's what.

I guess I can't delay this any longer.

I announce that I am stepping down from this thread. @kerbalstar is my successor, and I will congratulate him for the hard work he has done to planning out this thread.

I will offer my sincere thanks to @doggonemess for designing these new medals, he really has been working hard behind the scenes, so it would be nice if you all gave him a big hand. 

I also thank @obney kerman, @VelocityPolaris, @Lucast0909 for continuing to help with the thread. I hope that this thread goes through a healthy phase of reorganization, and that it will not stop because I have resigned voluntarily. 

Finally, I thank all of the people who have been supporting this endeavor to give these Newbies chances to win medals, master the game and therefore have a great time playing KSP. 

Happy Explosions!

@Alpha 360 I'm a bit sad to see you stepping away from this thread but I have to thank you for the time and effort you put into these challenges. The first challenge of this thread was indeed my very first challenge I've done and helped me a lot to find a way into other, bigger challenges. You did a great job here and I hope that the thread keep going, helping other people as well to discover the fun of challenges in general :)

I too have really enjoyed these challenges, and am sorry to see Alpha go. I've done challenges before, but these encouraged me to expand my horizons in game, and hone my skill. 

(Looking forward to Challenge Eight!) I myself would love to make some challenges along the vein of these, even possibly in this thread if I join the team so thanks for the inspiration!

2 hours ago, doggonemess said:

We're going through some changes right now, but I will definitely talk to the gang about it!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is that enough?

15 hours ago, Alpha 360 said:

I guess I can't delay this any longer.

I announce that I am stepping down from this thread. @kerbalstar is my successor, and I will congratulate him for the hard work he has done to planning out this thread.

I will offer my sincere thanks to @doggonemess for designing these new medals, he really has been working hard behind the scenes, so it would be nice if you all gave him a big hand. 

I also thank @obney kerman, @VelocityPolaris, @Lucast0909 for continuing to help with the thread. I hope that this thread goes through a healthy phase of reorganization, and that it will not stop because I have resigned voluntarily. 

Finally, I thank all of the people who have been supporting this endeavor to give these Newbies chances to win medals, master the game and therefore have a great time playing KSP. 

Happy Explosions!

Thank you, and I can't say anything more than I said in PM, but  I did find this:

DBQYTsab.jpg

Announcement:

The next challenge will be the final challenge of the newbie central thread. The team feels that traffic on this thread is slowing down, due to the fact that these challenges are designed for newbies and that people with more than 750 rep cannot enter. These were great concepts to have for a newbie central thread and it was a fun journey for me and the whole team, however, it is time to move on. Do not be sad though, as the team and I will be creating a new thread, a  "micro-challenges for all" sort of thread. This idea was originally proposed by @Alpha 360 fairly recently, however, at that time me, the other members of the team and Alpha didn't think that traffic had slowed down enough to close this thread. Now, with the leaving of Alpha, and the continued slowdown of traffic on the thread, we have decided that it is time to close this thread and "graduate" to micro-challenges for all. This new thread will have no rep limit, will be open to suggestions for challenges(more info on that when the new thread is posted), and have the same team as before, minus Alpha of course. The team for the next thread will be me, @obney kerman , @VelocityPolaris@Lucast0909 , and @doggonemess . This new thread will be posted after the closing of this challenge. I hope to see you all there!

@kerbalstar While reading your post, the first thing that came into my mind: Ok, I'll ask the authors for permission to continue these challenges without limitations because it is always nice to have a challenge which can be done within a few hours. Well, than I finished reading and I'm quiet happy to see that you guys actually going to do that :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.