Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

NEWBIE CENTRAL

Hello to everyone reading this! This thread is a collaboration of myself, @kerbalstar, @obney kerman, and last but not least, @VelocityPolaris. It is our goal to help introduce Newbies to some of the more time-consuming and difficult aspects about KSP, ranging from Interplanetary Travel, 

27Bt7RK.png

(My screenshot)

To multiple-launch bases

JOc4Kjf.jpg

(@kerbalstar's screenshot)

To Space Stations

DOOM.png

(@VelocityPolaris's screenshot)

To aircraft, SSTOs, and VTOLs. 

a8fB21W.png

(@obney kerman's screenshot)

Also, just as a side note, people with more than 750 rep (unless you're a moderator) can not participate in challenges here, as it is reserved for the new-comers! Yes, I will resign as a sub-author of this post when my rep reaches 750, I follow my own rules ;)

Anyway, if you have reached this far, and you are a newbie wanting a challenge to push you forward, or a player who has barely touched KSP and needs motivation to get back into the game, this is your thread. At the beginning of each week, one of the four of us will post a "mini-challenge". This challenge will be something simple and easy to complete, but the point is to defeat the challenge. For example, a person here will submit a Duna Probe challenge. Then it would be your goal to submit a reply, which would be a Duna relay satellite network. This will trump the original challenge, and then you will receive a "Electronic Newbie Central Challenge Completion"(ENCCC) medal. 

This doesn't mean that all of these challenges will be that hard. There will be a Mun anomaly challenge, a Kerbin space-station challenge, a VTOL aircraft challenge.....the list goes on and on. There will be links below to all of the different challenges, but the challenges have an expiration date. If you don't submit your challenge mission report within 10 days of the challenge, it will not count. Also, using cheat mods or the cheat menu is NOT allowed for obvious reasons. You are free to use whatever mods you can use that don't make you feel bad, but if the mod used is determined to be extremely cheaty, the four sub-authors will vote with each other and then disqualify the entry. 

Edit: @Lucast0909  is now apart of the team. 

Edit Number 2: @doggonemess is now apart of the team.

Table of Challenges 

1. Land near a Mun Anomaly - posted by @kerbalstar. Expired

2. Build a Mun Station - posted by @obney kerman. Expired

3. Build a Glider - posted by @VelocityPolaris. Expired

4. Rescue a Kerbal - posted by @Lucast0909. Expired

5. Skylab Challenge - posted by @doggonemess. Expired

6. Mun Satellite Network - posted by @Alpha 360. In Progress 

Good luck and I hope you all win a medal or two from this thread! 

Happy Explosions!

Edited by Alpha 360

2 minutes ago, hoioh said:

Curious to see how this pans out! (I wouldn't consider myself a newby, but I'm under the rep limit right?)

Yes. Also, the first challenge will be up soon, I just need to finish my entry.

7 hours ago, Alpha 360 said:

STUFF
Happy Anti-Implosions!

Ooh! Ooh! I gots a question. Weren't we going to do stuff besides the minichallenges?

EDIT: Oh yeah, I think I said that I would only be willing to participate if we used the word "muggle" at least once.

Muggle.

Ah, there we go.

Edited by VelocityPolaris

This is a good idea. Often new comers are overwhelmed at the scale of the typical KSP challenges, even more so when veterans complete the challenge in ways they couldn't even fathom.

A nice way for newcomers to test the waters. Good luck!!

The first challenge will be posted by @kerbalstar in give or take 4 or 5 hours. To answer your second question, it runs on 1.3.1 version, the version I'm using presently. I do think it is compatible with 1.4.1 or whatever the latest version is. I had to download it and install it using spacedock. You also have to root through the downloaded file and get rid of the RO-patches, for it will prevent it being usable in the stock game. 

The first challenge is here!

I present the first challenge: Land near a Mun anomaly!  

Spoiler

CTKGa5o.png

There are several ways to accomplish this.   A) You can use KerbNet to scan for anomalies, or B) You can go here(warning: spoilers) and plug in the coordinates of one of the anomalies into MechJeb's landing guidance. To be eligible you must post a picture of your craft within visual range of the anomaly. No HyperEdit, cheat menu, etc. Preferably, hide the UI in your picture(F2). Please put your image in a spoiler to keep the fun alive for everyone. You may use MJ's landing guidance, just not the autopilot. Also, beware that if you use option A, you will need to mark the anomalies with waypoints, and the waypoints very rarely go over the target, so use several, and try to go for the middle. You may drive to the anomaly if you land within 10 kilometers. Have Fun!

Sincerely,

Kerbalstar

Also, paging @Lucast0909, because I think he should participate in this.

Edited by kerbalstar
Adding comma after also.

1 minute ago, obney kerman said:

I've landed at that anomaly before, so I can't participate.

Yes you can. To clarify any anomaly is fair game, as long as it's on the Mun.

15 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Found one (victory shot):

Hide contents

Whole travel diary: https://imgur.com/gallery/Q650iP9

Very nice @4x4cheesecake! Also since you did it with Kerbals and returned to Kerbin, you get the ENCCC medal, so paging @Alpha 360 !

Edited by kerbalstar
Picture showed up, taking it out.

7 minutes ago, kerbalstar said:

Very nice @4x4cheesecake! Also since you did it with Kerbals and returned to Kerbin, you get the ENCCC medal, so paging @Alpha 360 !

Totally forgot you are handing over medals for this :)Even tough I'm already a bit experience in the game, I never went for an Easteregg before and also it was my very first challenge, so I'm still proud of it ^^

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

Totally forgot you are handing over medals for this :)Even tough I'm already a bit experience in the game, I never went for an Easteregg before and also it was my very first challenge, so I'm still proud of it ^^

Yeah, I hadn't gone for Easter Eggs, even though I have returned from Duna, recently though I did a mission to visit all the(interesting) Easter Eggs in the Kerbin system, and succeeded. It's very fun and rewarding unless you try to visit all the monoliths, it gets a bit boring then.

Went to the memorial with a Kapollo style mission, thought it'd be fitting:

Spoiler

q3jeSbO.jpg

I'll also admit that in 4+ years of playing KSP for literally thousands of hours, I never visited any of the easter eggs either! :blush:

Edited by hoioh

Just now, MarvinKitFox said:

What are "Mirco" challenges?

Micro challenges are challenges that you can basically perform in a matter of hours, instead of days. So they're small, fun things to do when you've got the hang of it.

It took me, what, half an hour to build my ship after which I did a 45 minute mission to complete the easter egg on the Mün visit challenge, the first micro challenge in the thread

6 minutes ago, hoioh said:

Micro challenges are challenges that you can basically perform in a matter of hours, instead of days. So they're small, fun things to do when you've got the hang of it.

It took me, what, half an hour to build my ship after which I did a 45 minute mission to complete the easter egg on the Mün visit challenge, the first micro challenge in the thread

I think he's pointing out the typo in the title. Can it not be corrected once the thread posts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.