Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

2 hours ago, Alpha 360 said:

The goal of these challenges is to be completable within two hours max.

Yep, you can do this in one or two hours...or you are like me, someone who is not satisfied with this result because the angle is ~2 degree off:

Spoiler

415hlqp.png

Well, back to the KSC...

It isn't, really. All you have to do is match orbits with the Mun, but have the satellites not intercept the Mun within 100 days. That's simple enough for me, but I have been playing for the last two years.....I never said it had to be precise. In fact, I flew the satellites up there by the seat of my pants. I did no calculations beforehand, and just messed around with maneuver nodes three times per sat.  

I hope this helps. The rules aren't strict on what the end results, just do what you can. 

Happy Explosions!

Here's my entry.  Basically put 2 relay satellites in my shuttle which I then put in to orbit around Mun, right on the edge of the SOI.  The satellites were then deployed and orbits adjusted to match that of Mun, with one preceding it and the other trailing.

Mission images

Spoiler

On the pad

munsat1.jpg

Shuttle in orbit at the edge of Mun SOI

munsat2.jpg

Deploying one of the satellites

munsat3.jpg

Both satellites in position

munsat4.jpg

Edited by Scarecrow

9 hours ago, SiriusRocketry said:

Speedily completed the Skylab challenge, before @doggonemess posts medals!

IMGUR ALBUM:

https://imgur.com/a/OPCR0nN

(warning, pics not in order)

@VelocityPolaris @Alpha 360 @obney kerman done!

Awesome! That was fast. And that is one HUGE fairing. 

I'm posting the medals this morning, so last call for missions reports!

Here are the medal awards for the fifth challenge!

@hoioh - for their awesome SSTO-crewed Skylab!

@Kerbolitto - for their confection-suffocation experiments (and another awesome SSTO)!

@4x4cheesecake - for their historically accurate half-broken Skylab!

@Lucast0909 - for Operation: CENTAUR, and yet another SSTO (I'm seeing some kind of trend here)!

@SiriusRocketry - for their great station and the biggest fairing this side of Jool!

@elon-kerman-jr - your medal is hanging downstairs in the ladies' room when you get your mission report filed!

Below are the 100px and 400px versions.

mYo8gLC.jpg

OpdJV2X.jpg

2 hours ago, doggonemess said:

Here are the medal awards for the fifth challenge!

@hoioh - for their awesome SSTO-crewed Skylab!

@Kerbolitto - for their confection-suffocation experiments (and another awesome SSTO)!

@4x4cheesecake - for their historically accurate half-broken Skylab!

@Lucast0909 - for Operation: CENTAUR, and yet another SSTO (I'm seeing some kind of trend here)!

@SiriusRocketry - for their great station and the biggest fairing this side of Jool!

@elon-kerman-jr - your medal is hanging downstairs in the ladies' room when you get your mission report filed!

Below are the 100px and 400px versions.

mYo8gLC.jpg

OpdJV2X.jpg

Cool medals!

Here's my mission report, at time of posting video is still processing...

There's a really good Kraken strike in the middle, don't miss it! (And I had to redo the sattelite trailing the Mun because it was moving a little faster than the Mun and got into the sphere of influence within 100 days. Lucky I brought spares, like 14 of them!)

I am not sure how to demonstrate that the satellites don't going into Mun SOI within 100 days, but the orbits should be close enough.

Also to make the challenge more interesting I built a low tech SSTO to deliver the satellites to LKO.

Spoiler

Takeoff

screenshot192.png

screenshot193.png

LKO

screenshot195.png

Releasing the satellites

screenshot197.png

The satellites then proceed to orbit under their own power

screenshot203.png

screenshot204.png

19 minutes ago, TheFlyingKerman said:

am not sure how to demonstrate that the satellites don't going into Mun SOI within 100 days, but the orbits should be close enough.

The ingame clock is visible in your screenshots, so just time warp for 100 days, switch to the relays and the mission time will proof that your relays are still in orbit after 100 days ;) (Indeed, you should be fine with these orbits)

3 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The ingame clock is visible in your screenshots, so just time warp for 100 days, switch to the relays and the mission time will proof that your relays are still in orbit after 100 day ;) (Indeed, you should be fine with these orbits)

I'll try this challenge soon, I don't have time right now.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:11 PM, 4x4cheesecake said:

The ingame clock is visible in your screenshots, so just time warp for 100 days, switch to the relays and the mission time will proof that your relays are still in orbit after 100 days ;) (Indeed, you should be fine with these orbits)

I warped 100 days and nothing happened

screenshot10.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.