Anybody play/heard of OpenTTD?

Chel

29 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

found the interface frustrating 

I'd say it's about the same as SimCity or other such stuff.

The isometric perspective does take some work to be used to though. That TTD Patch I saw was at elementary school lab, most were confused by the perspective (like when's a slope or a diagonal).

Hi all

I have many fond memories of TTD. It was very much what Railroad Tycoon and SimCity should have been. I've played the OpenTTD but the lack of the AI scripts, and the increased complexity of the new type electric rail turned the experience into a bit too much work. 

Remember the era from which the game originates. The art work all dates back to 1994, probably before a lot of people playing KSP were born. The idea of video cards that were anything more than just memory buffers between the mother board and the monitor was only just beginning to emerge. Real "3D" graphics barely existed, and what there was would be deemed to be very crude by today's standards. 

It is a testimony to the quality of the game play that people are still playing it two decades after its original release. I fully anticipate that KSP will join that elite group of games in due time.

Take care, kind regards

Orc (who is suddenly feeling very, very, very old)

8 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

has any of you heard about or played OpenTTD?

You mean one of the best games in the entire history of games ever?

Does spending thousands of hours on it count as hearing about it?

I haven't played it in a while, partly because I'm still looking for the mod pack that takes care of cargo distribution, passenger destinations and automatic train separation. I have no idea what it was called or who made it, but all I can find now is too complex, and I get the feeling that most of the mods today deal with either path finding or overcomplicated signals.

3 hours ago, Shpaget said:

I'm still looking for the mod pack that takes care of cargo distribution, passenger destinations and automatic train separation.

CargoDist are now in main OpenTTD, no need for a separate patch.

CargoDest and CargoDist are redundant to each other.

Train separation can be set by timetables; however, the patches used to automatically make them are mostly... old. You can see them in patchpacks; here's a subforum that have them (look at how recent people were commenting/editing it). Not much to choose from these days !

12 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Hi all, has any of you heard about or played OpenTTD?

Heard? Are you kidding me? I LOVED this game!

I was horrible at it, though. No matter what I tried to do; the taxes always got me into the negatives. Far into the negatives.

And it also has a pretty nice soundtrack.

4 minutes ago, Delay said:

No matter what I tried to do; the taxes always got me into the negatives.

Get coal.

5 minutes ago, Delay said:

And it also has a pretty nice soundtrack.

Yeah, the original TTD/TT(O) soundtrack are even better !

11 hours ago, YNM said:

Get coal.

Planes are better. I find two cities with 1,000+ residents, put an airfield in each and have two planes arriving at both airfields at the same time. Easily make money

1 hour ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Planes are better. 

Unless if there's no plane...

Depends on your playing style I guess. I always use Av8 which introduces range limit. I almost always start from early 1900s so planes are feeble. Moving bulk goods are near surefire way to ensure the money is rolling, then passengers.

3 hours ago, YNM said:

Unless if there's no plane...

Depends on your playing style I guess. I always use Av8 which introduces range limit. I almost always start from early 1900s so planes are feeble. Moving bulk goods are near surefire way to ensure the money is rolling, then passengers.

I start in the 1930s and usually have a train going from a coal mine to a power plant. I use trains to bring stuff from the farm and ore mine to the factory, and then have an airfield which transports the goods to an airfield near a town or city.

16 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

... and then have an airfield which transports the goods...

Well, overkill is accepted XD Most TTD players just like trains I guess !

Spoiler

file.php?id=174431

file.php?id=183392

file.php?id=183394

Also, I often plays with the noise rating on (so no way of having massive airports near cities).

Edited by YNM

On 5/8/2018 at 1:22 PM, Vanamonde said:

I toyed with it a bit but found the interface frustrating and so didn't go very far. Nice concept, though. 

Well it was made in the 1990s, so the interface can be a bit 'clunky' at times. Why don't you try and play it again? See how you go this time! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.