[1.12.5] TechTrees: QUARTIX 3.7, TETRIX 2.23, SIMPLEX 1.33

theJesuit

Upcoming release for both TETRIX and a catchup one for SIMPLEX.

TETRIX is having the upgrade nodes redone under the hood.  If you are using KSPIE or Kerbalism these MAY be save breaking?  Not really sure.  But it won't change where upgrades are.

HabTech2 is being moved one tier up.

Excellent tech tree so far apart from one issue: the "alpha" engine in Bluedog design bureau is a rather critical part of the Viklun rocket as there aren't any other available 0.625 motors available yet (tier 1). I made the changes in my own game, but I would suggest taking a look at that.

EDIT: using Tetrix, btw.

Edited by captainradish

21 minutes ago, captainradish said:

Excellent tech tree so far apart from one issue: the "alpha" engine in Bluedog design bureau is a rather critical part of the Viklun rocket as there aren't any other available 0.625 motors available yet (tier 1). I made the changes in my own game, but I would suggest taking a look at that.

EDIT: using Tetrix, btw.

Happy to change it.

Which part is it (part name please)

There will be an update quite soon.

30 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Happy to change it.

Which part is it (part name please)

There will be an update quite soon.

bluedog_Able_Engine

It is literally the first entry in the BDB.cfg. Naturally it took me forever to find it. :D

Near as I can tell it's the only piece of the BDB Vanguard program to not be tier 1.

Edited by captainradish

8 hours ago, captainradish said:

bluedog_Able_Engine

It is literally the first entry in the BDB.cfg. Naturally it took me forever to find it. :D

Near as I can tell it's the only piece of the BDB Vanguard program to not be tier 1.

Cool, perhaps we might consult @CessnaSkyhawk who made the config. 

Does it make sense to move this  0.625 to basicRocketry, maybe as  a precursor to the Able series?

I don't use BDB, so I'm happy to take advice.

9 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Cool, perhaps we might consult @CessnaSkyhawk who made the config. 

Does it make sense to move this  0.625 to basicRocketry, maybe as  a precursor to the Able series?

I don't use BDB, so I'm happy to take advice.

Yeah - that sounds about where it should have gone. Looks like I just made a technical error. Sorry about that. My patching system back then was a lot less streamlined then it is now.

Updated.  

SIMPLEX TechTree has a BIG update as I was behind on the mod support.  Biggest changes though is the Engine Nerf is gone.  I am working on updating SIMPLEX Propulsion (2.0) which has the same engine nerf, but will adjust nerf for JNSQ and have upgrades.

TETRIX TechTree had an under the hood update mostly for Part Upgrades.  Also, offworld construction (EL) is fixed and Tracking Lights added, amongst other things including the above adjustment to BDB.  

On 9/24/2021 at 12:29 PM, CessnaSkyhawk said:

Yeah - that sounds about where it should have gone. Looks like I just made a technical error. Sorry about that. My patching system back then was a lot less streamlined then it is now.

Found one more error (again with BDB). The Prometheus II second-stage rockets are getting put one tier higher than they should be (even due to what's printed in the mod manager cfg).  The error *seems* to be in this line:

//Titan III
        @PART[bluedog_LR87_11*|bluedog_LR91*|bluedog_UA*|bluedog_LR87_LH2*]:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB]
            {     @TechRequired = heavyRocketry
            }

This puts *all* the LR91 engines in Heavy Rocketry, even the two that are supposed to be in Advanced (bluedog_LR_91_3 and bluedog LR_91_5). I think the line should be corrected from bluedog_LR91* to bluedog_LR91_11*. At least that's what I did and it seemed to correct the issue.

43 minutes ago, captainradish said:

This puts *all* the LR91 engines in Heavy Rocketry, even the two that are supposed to be in Advanced (bluedog_LR_91_3 and bluedog LR_91_5). I think the line should be corrected from bluedog_LR91* to bluedog_LR91_11*. At least that's what I did and it seemed to correct the issue.

As I don't play with BDB I really appreciate the feedback and troubleshooting.  It'll be a couple of days but I can push through an update patch.  It's an easy fix :) thanks!

I'm currently getting all my mods sorted. 

SIMPLEX Resources is done and just needs an upload. 

SIMPLEX Assembly has a minor change. 

I have another ANGLECAN part tweaks which is basic docking port snaps, limited fairings  sizes and annulment of the Breaking Ground and second EVA science (as they don't play nice with kerbalism).   

SIMPLEX Colonies needs a BETA release as the changes to Moar Kerbals hasn't occured yet ;)

Finally Kerbalism Simplex as well for the alternative reources support.

4 hours ago, captainradish said:

Keep up the good work! This is probably the best tech tree I've seen since the gold rush of tech tree changes back a few years ago.

Thanks for the good vibes.

Really, the person to thank is @pap1723 who made the HPTechTree

This was the best, but when it started getting outdated, I looked into how it was constructed and used it as a model.  I also didn't like the repetition of icons and wondered if I couldn't do the same as in stock - for a stockish playthrough.  Hence the SIMPLEX tree was born.  TETRIX was to allow an extension with Nertea's mods with KSPIE on request.

Peace.

@CessnaSkyhawk I am giving TETRIX a go, with BDB being my mainstay (among others, but this is the most relevant for my post). I notice that for quite a few of BDB's probe sets with multiple parts, such as OGO, OSO or Nimbus, these parts are spread out over various tech levels (by which I mean, in deeper levels of more expensive tech, not same-level but elsewhere). I would like to highly recommend keeping these parts together so players can actually build those craft in their original form once they start unlocking their parts, instead of grinding towards unlocking pieces of them.

Another reason is that BDB comes with a number of contracts based on these parts, which cue from the parts' original placement as to when to become available. Now I have several contracts offered that I cannot reasonably complete until I unlock several more tech nodes further in.

• 2 months later...

@CessnaSkyhawk @theJesuit I was missing some parts from BDB in my tech tree while playing with this. Turns out there's a typo in the BDB patch file where it states "aerodynamicsSystems" instead of "aerodynamicSystems". Note the extra 's'. Since the actual node is named aerodynamicSystems, any parts configured with the typo end up missing in the game. It's an easy enough fix however.

54 minutes ago, Morphisor said:

@CessnaSkyhawk @theJesuit I was missing some parts from BDB in my tech tree while playing with this. Turns out there's a typo in the BDB patch file where it states "aerodynamicsSystems" instead of "aerodynamicSystems". Note the extra 's'. Since the actual node is named aerodynamicSystems, any parts configured with the typo end up missing in the game. It's an easy enough fix however.

Thanks @Morphisor

Sorry I missed your post from a couple months ago, is there a suggestion on the parts moving about for contracts etc?

Expect an update this weekend then as i want to move telescopes to the electrics branch and add in Simplex Colonies too.

54 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Thanks @Morphisor

Sorry I missed your post from a couple months ago, is there a suggestion on the parts moving about for contracts etc?

Expect an update this weekend then as i want to move telescopes to the electrics branch and add in Simplex Colonies too.

I had another look to try and be more helpful. Most parts are fine by positioning actually, with one exception: the parts designated as Mariner-2 (Cosmic dust collector, radiometer and ion trap chamber) are in a higher node than the rest of the ranger parts. Whereas Mariner even predates some of the other ranger parts historically and they're essentially the same design.

The problem with the BDB contracts consists of the contracts checking for a certain tech node to be researched to become available. Most probe contracts use the tier 1 nodes, since that's where the probe cores are placed within BDB itself pre-patching by any tech tree. To fix this, we should patch the contracts to only be available as the corresponding node is unlocked as well. It's probably best to do this from within Tetrix, should only take a few MM patches. I could write them up if you want.

Updated!

Thanks @Morphisorfor the BDB contracts adjusted in TETRIX

Added SIMPLEX Colonies to the TETRIX support

Moved telescopes for HullCamera VDS and SSPX, and adjusted connections in the electrics/ unmanned section.

SIMPLEX doesn't show off the rocketry upgrade nodes if SIMPLEX Propulsion isn't installed.

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Bombaatu said:

Are there any plans to add support for the Wild Blue suite of mods?

No plans but that can be remedied.   It wont be before Easter at least.

Happy to include it sooner if someone wants to chip in.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Created a patch for the TETRIX tree adding support for the ALCOR pod and included camera, figured I'd share it here for anyone that wants to use it, or for you @theJesuit if you want to integrate it.  Based the tree placement off the already existing M.E.M. capsule and the HullcamVDS booster cam placement.

//	============================================================
//	*** ALCOR

@PART[ALCOR_LanderCapsule]:NEEDS[ASET/ALCOR_LanderCapsule]
		{	@TechRequired = heavyLanding
		}

@PART[ExtCamRadialVErt]:NEEDS[ASET/ExtCamRadialVert]
		{	@TechRequired = basicScience
		}

Edited by DeliriumTrigger
clarifying that it's for the TETRIX tree

• 1 month later...

I'd like to use TETRIX for my next playthrough. My one question right now is what happens to mods that don't have support. Do they disappear, or do they just appear in nodes that might not make sense, or is it set up that if mods put their parts into a logical node, that they should show up in a logical progression?

1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

I'd like to use TETRIX for my next playthrough. My one question right now is what happens to mods that don't have support. Do they disappear, or do they just appear in nodes that might not make sense, or is it set up that if mods put their parts into a logical node, that they should show up in a logical progression?

They appear in the nodes assigned for the stock playthrough. 

Which additional mods would you like to work with as my own playthroughis currently showing some corrections.

15 hours ago, theJesuit said:

They appear in the nodes assigned for the stock playthrough. 

Which additional mods would you like to work with as my own playthroughis currently showing some corrections.

Looks like the ones I'm using that aren't explicitly supported are

Bumblebee
Cold War Aerospace
KeR-7 (also Internal RCS and Mk-1 Stockalike open cockpit) by nesd
KerBalloons Continued
KSP Secondary Motion (wiggly antennas and such)
Mk2 Stockalike Expansion
Mk3 Stockalike Expansion
Mk-X Spaceplane Parts
Near Future Aeronautics
PicoPort
Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit (from benjee10; goes well with HabTech2 and reDIRECT)

And Angel's Wild Blue mods
Buffalo
Flying Saucers
Heisenberg Airships
Mk-33
Sandcastle

I'll let you know if any of them seem out of place; and I'll see if I can make a few mod configs.

• 2 months later...