[1.10] Rocket Emporium 1.8.5 (2020-07-15)

Katten

Updated to 1.4.4 the other day, so I've had a chance to test some new parts. So far, I've noticed 2 bugs and thought of a few suggestions that should be relatively simple to implement. Regarding the bugs, I'm about to leave my PC, so I'll post logs and my mod list in about 6 hours or so when I get back.

Suggestion #1: Add options to toggle and retract animated parts in action groups such as the extender and hinge, instead of just opening/extending.

Suggestion #2: Flip the deploy limit on parts like the spherical probe containers, so that it is more in line with stock parts (the mk3 cargo ramp comes to mind). 90 should be almost open, rather than almost shut, in my opinion.

Suggestion #3: Right now, the hexagonal probe container has 2 options in the editor, whether or not it has a lid. I think there should be an option to remove the lid in flight, like the Apollo-style service bays added in Making History. This would make it more versatile, as there is a larger space to extend things (Rather than relying on 1 hole in the middle), while still protecting the parts inside during ascent. It also means you don't have to go to the trouble of, say, adding an animated open/close feature.

Bug #1: I decided to test the new extender part by plonking a generic, small reaction wheel on the end of a small extender. In the editor, it correctly moves with the extender; however, in flight, the extender would simply go through the reaction wheel, which remained floating in place at its original position.

Bug #2: I was putting some of your new, tiny landing legs (the vertical ones, not the triangular ones) on the smallest spherical probe container (Also from the mod). Parts placed inside the container can be rotated and offset freely; however, when I tried landing legs on the outside of the container (I also tried the smallest stock landing legs), they could not. If I placed landing legs on the exterior and attempted to offset or rotate them, they would revert to their original position whenever I changed back to the place tool or selected another part. I also attempted to place a Commutotron HG-55 on a large extender and offset it slightly so it would be perfectly in line, but the bug occurred again.

5 hours ago, Katten said:

I was trying to create this camera, which acts as a science experiment. It requires you to take a 360-degree panorama, which can then be sent for scienz pointz. What do you think?? 

The part module I created for this can also be configured for a single photo, or other sizes. It also supports showing the current view on a display...

Wooo cameras! How about an orbital camera that requires u to take pics of plernerts

9 hours ago, Nozza said:

Updated to 1.4.4 the other day, so I've had a chance to test some new parts. So far, I've noticed 2 bugs and thought of a few suggestions that should be relatively simple to implement. Regarding the bugs, I'm about to leave my PC, so I'll post logs and my mod list in about 6 hours or so when I get back.

Suggestion #1: Add options to toggle and retract animated parts in action groups such as the extender and hinge, instead of just opening/extending.

Suggestion #2: Flip the deploy limit on parts like the spherical probe containers, so that it is more in line with stock parts (the mk3 cargo ramp comes to mind). 90 should be almost open, rather than almost shut, in my opinion.

Suggestion #3: Right now, the hexagonal probe container has 2 options in the editor, whether or not it has a lid. I think there should be an option to remove the lid in flight, like the Apollo-style service bays added in Making History. This would make it more versatile, as there is a larger space to extend things (Rather than relying on 1 hole in the middle), while still protecting the parts inside during ascent. It also means you don't have to go to the trouble of, say, adding an animated open/close feature.

Bug #1: I decided to test the new extender part by plonking a generic, small reaction wheel on the end of a small extender. In the editor, it correctly moves with the extender; however, in flight, the extender would simply go through the reaction wheel, which remained floating in place at its original position.

Bug #2: I was putting some of your new, tiny landing legs (the vertical ones, not the triangular ones) on the smallest spherical probe container (Also from the mod). Parts placed inside the container can be rotated and offset freely; however, when I tried landing legs on the outside of the container (I also tried the smallest stock landing legs), they could not. If I placed landing legs on the exterior and attempted to offset or rotate them, they would revert to their original position whenever I changed back to the place tool or selected another part. I also attempted to place a Commutotron HG-55 on a large extender and offset it slightly so it would be perfectly in line, but the bug occurred again.

Great ideas! 
#1: should be easy enough, will do. Right now there is only toggle. 
#2: yeah, that bugs me too. I will check if I need to invert the whole animation or if there is an easier way. I think some stock parts used to suffer from the same issue? Maybe that's why they removed the deploy limit option from the small service bays?
#3: cool idea, I will check how they do that

bug #1: hmm, interesting.
1 Do you know the version of AnimatedAttachment?
2 Are there wheels on the craft?
3 Is KJR installed?
4 Any error messages in the console?
There is an option "Debug" in the right click menu, if you enable Advanced Tweakables, that will produce a bit more debug output in the console.

I was not able to reproduce this in my dev KSP installation which is close to stock.
ExtenderTest.png?raw=true

Bug #2: Please disable AimatedAttachments for the animated part while fine-tuning the position and rotation. Then turn it on again afterwards! This step is annoying, I will see if I can find a way to detect if the user has selected the fine-tuning tools and handle it automatically.

8 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Wooo cameras! How about an orbital camera that requires u to take pics of plernerts

Cool idea! I'll see if I can add it in a later version. 

Edited by Katten

Listen up! Jenna Kerman in Finance has unfortunately noticed the complete lack of incoming funds and the obvious overspending on huaraches.
She says we need to go out there and get some nice photos of other planets to justify more investments. Our scientists will also be happy to analyze those photos!

v1.8.0 - Strike a pose
* Added two cameras for science
* The hinge now has an optional platform
* All moving parts now have deploy limits where 100 is fully open
* Changed action name of all moving parts from Deploy to Toggle to better reflect their function
* The landing balloon now defaults to the Gear action group

This is very much a beta!

Please give feedback on what you think of these parts - the functionality, balancing, models etc.

Anomalies

The photos taken with these cameras will most likely show some anomalies due to technical issues or maybe fairies. Hopefully, we can solve all that in the future. 

Science definitions

If anyone wants to help with writing texts for the scientific experiment popup menu, that'd be greatly appreciated! It is a simple process of editing a text file (RocketEmporium/ScienceDefs.cfg)

SOAP-1 Probe Camera
Early game single photo camera available under Basic Science.
RoverCamera.png?raw=true

ProbeCamera.png?raw=true

SOAP-2 Panorama Camera
A smaller camera optimized for weight available under Advanced Exploration. Take multiple photos to create a 360 degree panorama!

Edited by Katten

14 hours ago, Katten said:

bug #1: hmm, interesting.
1 Do you know the version of AnimatedAttachment? v2.0.3
2 Are there wheels on the craft? No, but there are some of the triangular landing legs further up on the command pod. I'll post a picture of the ship later as well with the logs; computer had updates to do yesterday so I never got to KSP.
3 Is KJR installed? No
4 Any error messages in the console? I didn't see any, but I'll have another look tonight.

Bug #2: Please disable AnimatedAttachments for the animated part while fine-tuning the position and rotation. Then turn it on again afterwards! This step is annoying, I will see if I can find a way to detect if the user has selected the fine-tuning tools and handle it automatically. Yeah, alright. Thanks, that might have something to do with the 1st bug too.

Updates are done, so I should actually be able to check KSP tonight. I'll update the mod while I'm at it, it might fix the problem (who knows).

Edited by Nozza

1 hour ago, The Minmus Derp said:

I’ve tested it on 1.4.3 tho. And it wurked!

Sweeet! However, I really only test it with the last version. And, if I write 1.4.x it is not really clear if I have confirmed compatiblity with the latest version yet... so I'll just keep it like this. I'd like to commit to keeping mods updated at all times to the latest release  =)

Edited by Katten

12 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Could someone perhaps make a craft file for the Pathfinder lander with airbags placed in the correct positions? It's quite difficult, and they end up slightly offset which really bugs me. Or perhaps @Katten you could make the airbags node-attachable and add 6 nodes on each face of the lander?

Aha, yes. I think the best solution would be to improve the node colliders. I'll see what I can do...

v1.8.1
* Fixed the deployment limits of all the moving parts (again... I didn't test enough last time)

v1.8.2
* Improved surface attach colliders for the rover lander shell
* Added a cosmetic casing to the landing ballon

It should now be easier to put ballons on the rover, and it'll look a bit better!

Feel free to post some pics if you make something of it - and go for a record in bounced distance! NASA claims multiple kilometers is possible... =)

9 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Katten Hm, the airbag's textures are certainly improved, but it's still difficult to place 6 on each side of the lander.

Aha, I've always used 3 on each side actually. That's what I prepared the model for since it is easier to do.
But the real ones do have 6, yes. In this case, they would have to be smaller. I tried scaling them to 75% and that seems pretty okey for the size,
but the issue is mostly that it is difficult to get the position correct. They kind of need to go further out than what the current balloon model allows.
Like, they would have to be mountable on the sides. I am not sure how this would look. The best would be to have some references on how it looks
in real life, but I can't find any photos of them undeployed...

I've tried to make a small rectangular model of the balloon casing, it helps a bit, but is still far away from allowing a 6 balloon configuration to cover the "corners".
It seems they need to be placed even further out. Maybe the 6 balloons are really one single entity placed in the middle of the sides? That probably makes more sense
and aligns with the fact they seem to have seams between the balloons.

landingbag.jpg

Edited by Katten

1 hour ago, The Minmus Derp said:

and 1.4.3 and 1.4.4 and 1.4.2, so you can say 1.4.x

The only reason someone would use any of those versions is if Kopernicus or another version-specific mod hasn't been updated yet. Also, if the title said 1.4.x, you wouldn't know if/when the mod updated to the latest version without going through the last few pages.

6 hours ago, Przemek1977 said:

Could someone explain step-by-step ("for dummies") how install this mod?

@Przemek1977If you have the game on Steam, open steam and right click on the game and go to properties, then local files, then in local files click browse local files. The folder should look similar to this. Keep this folder open for later. Now, to download this mod, go to the first page of this thread and download the mod or just click on this text.  You should see some options to download, download this one. Once it's downloaded, you should see this on your desktop. Double click on it, and you should see this. Go into the GameData folder in the Rocket Emporium file, so you should see this. Drag that Rocket Emporium folder into the KSP GameData folder that you navigated to earlier. Then just start KSP, that's all you have to do. This way of installing mods works for every mod. Tell me if you need anything else! If you don't have the game on steam I'm not sure what to do as I have only had KSP on steam. Someone else will be able to help you.

Edited by Lwf

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing with the SOAP-1 and it confuses me. Although it counts as science, I can't store its results in a science container. I've managed to use it to take multiple pictures, but I don't know where they went or what I should do with them, and even though it shows sometimes as being ready and available to use there's no response when I click the button to take a picture - no error, no nothing. It also doesn't appear to play well with science checking/gathering mods, this may be related to the fact that it's not recognised as science data by the (built-in and mod-added) containers?

Also, just tried taking a picture of the horizon while in LKO and I ended up getting a picture of the skybox behind the planet instead of the planet itself.

Edited by JH4C

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.