[1.10] Rocket Emporium 1.8.5 (2020-07-15)

Katten

[a part mod inspired by Luna, Venera, Insight, Sojourner, Curiosity, plus some convenience stuff]

Introduction

Hi there, space-traveler! Don't just stand there; come in, look around, try out our classic hot-pants - the originals, the best, famous around the solar system! And, welcome to...
RocketEmporium.png?raw=true

Aah, more interested in rocket parts, aye? Well, no matter, we got that too. As of now, our line-up consists of just two manufacturers of very essential cosmos equipment.

Collection.png?raw=true

Martin & The Probes

The up-town start-up company Martin & The Probes was funded by the income gained from the chart-topping hipster band with the same name. They focus on neat stuff for your everyday probe needs.

RB-1 Spherical Probe Container (1.25m non-atmospheric lander)

This product has been called the flag ship of M&TP, at least by their commercial department! This very handy spherical container protects your important scientific equipment, that someone is paying for you to bring to some place despite every scientific opportunity there having been exhausted already! Crash tolerant, comes with internal batteries and is like totally round - you'd be crazy not to buy it!

Spoiler

MunaSphere.png?raw=true

RB-2 Reentry sphere (1.875m atmospheric lander)

Land your probes in style with this heat resistant thingamabob! Made from the finest plastic composites on the planet. Well, on a planet.

Spoiler

RentrySphere.png?raw=true

RB-4 Space Container (3.75m space or lander fairing)

This positively large deployable fairing is a great fit whenever you need to send way too much sensitive equipment to space. Comes with an extra bottle of spray paint!

Spoiler

SpaceSphereSoccer.png

SpaceSphereSoccerDeployed.png

Thermal Fairing (3.75m top cover for heat shield)

Land in style on distant planets using the latest in cone-based technology!

Spoiler

ThermalFairingEditor.png?raw=true

ThermalFairingUpsideDown.png?raw=true

ThermalFairingBus.png

ThermalFairingChute.png?raw=true

AID-X1 (0.625m decoupler)

Ever wanted to put a non-stackable item on both the top and bottom of your probe? Fret no more - the Advanced Interstage Decoupler is here you help you! 

Spoiler

InterstageSmall.png?raw=true

AID-X2 (1.5m decoupler)

The larger version of the interstage decoupler lets you stack even bigger non-stackable things together!

Spoiler

InterstageLarge.png?raw=true

Astro Composites International

Here at ACI we believe space is 20% science and 80% fashion! We focus on structural rigid components for your spectacular rocketry moments! 

Lightweight Hex Platform (2.5m inner diameter - probe lander platform)

Sometimes, building probes vertically doesn't really cut it - spruce things up with this amazing probe platform, which comes with integrated holes!

Spoiler

HexPlatform.png?raw=true

Hex Struct (1.25m - structural building block)

No-one is really sure what this is intended for, so we usually just store our designer wellies in it. The top can be removed, but only by our senior engineers. 

Spoiler

HexStruct.png?raw=true

Review

Download

Download from CKAN (RocketEmporium) or grab it from here.

Dependencies

Some parts (the robotic ones) are fully dependent on AnimatedAttachment to do anything useful. Many more will benefit greatly from it being installed. It will allow you to attach solar panels on the probe containers, for example.

Known issues

* The view from the cameras doesn't contain all effects, like atmosphere.

Compatibility

No known issues with any 1.4.x version. Has not been tested with earlier versions.

Change log

Spoiler

v1.1.1
Large space sphere:
* added a stockish texture
* solved some normal maps issues

v1.2.0
Added a cone-shaped large fairing with decoupler

v.1.3.0 - Insight Inspired Stuff
* Added a flat structural 2.5m hex platform for building probes on
* Added a 1.25 hex struct with removable lid
* Added lander legs (without proper leg suspension - simple animation only! Put them manually the action group gears for convenience)
* Moved around stuff in the tech tree
* Included @caipi's metallic Textures Unlimited config for two of the spheres - not tested. Simply installing Texture Unlimited should activate the config
* Probe containers moved to Payload 

v1.4.0 - Tiny feet
* The lander legs now have a proper suspension setup
* Added some tinier probe legs
* Added a PartModule FXModuleConstrainPositionEx that enables multiple transforms to be averaged to determine the position of a target transform (to support the tiny lander leg)
* Moved around stuff in the tech tree that wasn't assigned already
* Fixed an incorrect tech tree requirement of the Spherical Probe Container

v1.4.1 - Bye bye, stage 2!
* Fixes the ejection force of the decouplers
* Minor visual improvements
* Added colliders to the bars of the decouplers

v1.5.0 - Transformers
* Added 3 animated parts based on AnimatedAttachment
* Removed the TexturesUnlimited patch until I had a chance to test it

v1.6.0 - Robotastic
* Updated robotic models to have a consistent size
* Hollowed out the bottom part of the muna sphere and put attachment nodes under the flaps
* Put an attachment node under the lid of the reentry sphere
* Added a cylindrical structural part for robot arms
* Fixed the download path in the version file

v1.7.0
* Added a rover lander inspired by Mars missions
* Added a simple ballon with high crash tolerance
* Added a rover body for small rover
* Added TweakScale configs

v1.7.1
* Fixed the rover lander center of mass, that was previously under the part
* Cleanup (removed AnimatedAttachment from configs and put it in an MM patch instead)
* Added separate colliders for the moving parts of the hinge and rotator

v1.8.0 - Strike a pose
* Added two cameras for science
* The hinge now has an optional platform
* All moving parts now have correct deploy limits where 100 is fully open
* Changed action name of all moving parts from Deploy to Toggle to better reflect their function
* The landing balloon now defaults to the Gear action group

v1.8.1
* Fixed the animation deployments of all moving parts... again!

v1.8.2
* Improved surface attach colliders for the rover lander shell
* Added a cosmetic casing to the landing ballon

v1.8.3
* Added an integrated fairing to the thermal fairing top side. It works like an interstage, allowing you to hide something inside, a parachute for example.
This can also be done using the Rocket Emporium interstage decouplers if you prefer that look! =)

v1.8.4
* Strengthened the SL-1 landing leg springs

v1.8.5
* Updated to indicate compatibility with KSP v1.10

•  

License

Published under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International Public License.

Credits

Thanks to @Atubara for the awesome artwork in the top =)
Visit https://www.reddit.com/r/kerbalculture/ for more great fan-art!

Edited by Katten

14 minutes ago, Lord_Chappington said:

Cute little part pack. I'm thinking that sphere would make a nice little zeenit satellite :)

Good idea, post your pics to show it off when you're done =)

1 hour ago, Katten said:

AID-X1

Ever wanted to put a non-stackable item on both the top and bottom of your probe? Fret no more - the Advanced Interstage Decoupler is here you help you! 

Well, so far I have always used the fairings upside down and activated the interstage nodes, but your part looks so much nicer and is not as thick as the fairing plate :) Gonna give it a try. And I fully agree with Chappington, sorry, Lord Chappington :D : The sphere part looks so nice and is an awesome idea.

Edited by caipi

5 minutes ago, Lord_Chappington said:
As promised :p should have read that small print though... no heatshield gave me some fireworks but hey, still a fun lil thing :D
View post on imgur.com
">View post on imgur.com">Album
View post on imgur.com
will appear when post is submitted

Haha, that's great! Yeah, maybe I should make it more heat resistant.. tho I was thinking about making a larger version with ablator, what do you think?

3 minutes ago, Katten said:

Haha, that's great! Yeah, maybe I should make it more heat resistant.. tho I was thinking about making a larger version with ablator, what do you think?

I like the sound of that! Maybe you could put the lil sphere inside the big sphere to protect it on re-entry :p Russian stacking doll probes

4 hours ago, caipi said:

I just tested it and I'm loving the spherical probe container. I just built a quick probe with RTG and relay antenna for my GPP career mode (to set up a network of course ;-) ):

https://imgur.com/a/7NBSBvR

Would it be too much to ask for a 2.5m and possibly even for a 3.75m version?

WOW, that looks really cool! How did you get the metallic look? Could I link it in the OP? =)

Yes, I can def make more sizes. In fact, here is one right now, 1.875m =)

ReentrySphereProbeDuna.png

That one is made for reentry.

For a 2.5 non-atmo lander, are you thinking just a larger version of the muna sphere concept, or do you have any ideas to mix it up a bit?

I was hoping you'd like it :)

The metallic look and shiny surface is a Textures Unlimited config-thingy, but I'm also using KS3P to enhance the visuals (as well as EVE, but that should have no effect on the part, I think).

To get the metallic look, I used the following config:

@REFLECTION_CONFIG[default]
{
	%enabled = true
}
KSP_MODEL_SHADER
{
	name = Stock_FullMetal

model = RocketEmporium/Parts/Probes/muna_sphere
		model = RocketEmporium/Parts/Probes/reentry_sphere

MATERIAL
	{
		shader = SSTU/PBR/Metallic

inheritTexture = _MainTex
		inheritTexture = _BumpMap
		inheritTexture = _Emissive

excludeMesh = flagTransform
		excludeMesh = Flag

PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Metal
			float = 0.75
		}
		PROPERTY
		{
			name = _Smoothness
			float = 0.75
		}
	}
}

Just put it in a config-file anywhere. I actually have it in my "customs config" directory :D Feel free to use it. If you want more textures to have this metallic look, you can just add another model = line. I already added reentry_sphere as an example.

I also adapted some settings from Electrocutor's config file.

Thanks for the new part. I haven't really thought about the 2.5m version yet. But it might be cool if it would open more than the top half and if you had a bit more space inside it. But a simple larger version would also be fine! However, if you want to get fancy, you might give the opening mechanism sort of a twisting and retracting animation, similar to Roverdude's Jaw-part from the Asteroid Recycling Technology pack. I imagine the animations might require some more work. So it's totally understandable if you consider it too much work.

Edited by caipi

On 5/8/2018 at 1:00 PM, Katten said:

Known issues

* No ejection force is applied by the decouplers.

I don't think this is an issue, but a feature.   I like to send Commnet clouds to a planet in one vessel.  I stack the the satellites, and decouple them as needed before their circulization burns.   These little decouplers would be perfect for this, but if there is an ejection force, it will mess up the orbit of either the satellite or mother ship, or both.    Maybe having a toggle for this....

4 hours ago, damonvv said:

Loving these parts!

Thanks! That's a really cool launch, nice descent configuration =)

Gargamel:

Aha, would be nice, but I don't know if it is possible in stock to do that really (having a toggle option, that is)

Edited by Katten

With the decouplers forming cradles, I think it makes sense from a realism perspective to have little or no explosives firing off when separating, as it might cause damage to the delicate components in-between. However having the option to set a charge when building, much like the other stock decouplers, would be nice because not everything needs to be super realistic. Whether you choose to use it depends on your playstyle, and this would accommodate both kinds of player.

Now to install the new pod, and build something with it. It looks like it'd make a fine Munar picnic hamper...

15 minutes ago, JH4C said:

With the decouplers forming cradles, I think it makes sense from a realism perspective to have little or no explosives firing off when separating, as it might cause damage to the delicate components in-between. However having the option to set a charge when building, much like the other stock decouplers, would be nice because not everything needs to be super realistic. Whether you choose to use it depends on your playstyle, and this would accommodate both kinds of player.

Now to install the new pod, and build something with it. It looks like it'd make a fine Munar picnic hamper...

Ah, true - you can already set the ejection force percentage in stock! So this should be fine already. Just have to fix the current decoupler ejection from not working...

14 hours ago, caipi said:

Thanks for the new part. I haven't really thought about the 2.5m version yet. But it might be cool if it would open more than the top half and if you had a bit more space inside it. But a simple larger version would also be fine! However, if you want to get fancy, you might give the opening mechanism sort of a twisting and retracting animation, similar to Roverdude's Jaw-part from the Asteroid Recycling Technology pack. I imagine the animations might require some more work. So it's totally understandable if you consider it too much work.

Aha, thanks for the config! I don't dare to put a metallic material as default as I want to keep it rather stock-compatible, but I wonder if the part variant system can switch materials..

As for larger parts, I am now working on a big 3.75m spaceball intended for only protecting equipment in space, and then I will do a 2.5m lander like the first muna sphere, but with more space in the bottom half!

2 hours ago, Katten said:

Hesitant about the texture tho... should it be more stockish?

SpaceSphereConnected.png?raw=true

Gorgeous, but probably should be more stockish... 

But you have to wait until Danny or some of those wacko Youtubers plays a full sized soccer game in space.....

6 hours ago, Katten said:

v1.1.0:

Added a 3.75m thingy meant for space, or careful non-atmospheric landing =) 

Yhea, it should be morer stock-like, but the model and pattern look amazing, its just the texture thats odd

6 hours ago, Katten said:

v1.1.0:

Added a 3.75m thingy meant for space, or careful non-atmospheric landing =) 

Looks great as is.  If many want 'stockish' maybe an option to load different texture??

really nice looking parts pack.  looking forward to crashing landing these into many different bodies.

cheers.

Perhaps the soccerball might be available in black and white, like an actual old soccerball? White hexagons and black pentagons used to be the style, and it would fit in with a lot more stock stuff that way. +1 for switchable textures if you can figure them out!

Oh, and don't forget to update the version number in the original post's title when you're updating it @Katten; it helps make it more obvious that there's a reason to look at the thread.

26 minutes ago, JH4C said:

Perhaps the soccerball might be available in black and white, like an actual old soccerball? White hexagons and black pentagons used to be the style, and it would fit in with a lot more stock stuff that way. +1 for switchable textures if you can figure them out!

Oh, and don't forget to update the version number in the original post's title when you're updating it @Katten; it helps make it more obvious that there's a reason to look at the thread.

Like this, or should I go full soccerball with filled black pentas? 

Texture switching is working!

Ah, thanks for the reminder for the title!

SpaceSphereSoccer.png?time=1

Edited by Katten

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.