[1.10] Rocket Emporium 1.8.5 (2020-07-15)

Katten

6 minutes ago, JH4C said:

I've been playing with the SOAP-1 and it confuses me. Although it counts as science, I can't store its results in a science container. I've managed to use it to take multiple pictures, but I don't know where they went or what I should do with them, and even though it shows sometimes as being ready and available to use there's no response when I click the button to take a picture - no error, no nothing. It also doesn't appear to play well with science checking/gathering mods, this may be related to the fact that it's not recognised as science data by the (built-in and mod-added) containers?

Also, just tried taking a picture of the horizon while in LKO and I ended up getting a picture of the skybox behind the planet instead of the planet itself.

Aha! These two parts are pretty much in beta stage still and probably requires more work. I'm hesitant if maybe I should put them in a separate mod in order to not create too much confusion for the rest of RE.

I thought it was working decently in the latest release, 1.8.2... but I see I am also experiencing problems right now in my install.

Anyway, basic idea is:
* Click Display: Active (to see where you are aiming)
* Click Take photo
* Click View photo/panorama - this should show the photo. For me it is just black at the moment :mellow:
  In the SOAP-2 you need to rotate around to create a panorama composite
* Click Prepare transmission - this will create the science popup window and actually give you the option to send it. At this point, collecting science should work (and does for me)!

Hm. I don't get any window when I click Active, nor when I click Prepare. However, View Photo does work for me, and is the only way I know it even worked. I just finished the mission I was on when I discovered these issues, and I got no credit for any photos, sent or unsent. Default experiments with unsent data still credit you on recovery, so this may need a tweak as well; I know you intend it for rover use, but I was trying to use it to document my first successful manned orbit.

I think spinning them off into their own mod sounds like a sensible idea. 

8 minutes ago, JH4C said:

Hm. I don't get any window when I click Active, nor when I click Prepare. However, View Photo does work for me, and is the only way I know it even worked. I just finished the mission I was on when I discovered these issues, and I got no credit for any photos, sent or unsent. Default experiments with unsent data still credit you on recovery, so this may need a tweak as well; I know you intend it for rover use, but I was trying to use it to document my first successful manned orbit.

I think spinning them off into their own mod sounds like a sensible idea. 

There is no window when you click Active, just a small, small view finder on the actual model =) On the SOAP-2, there is a larger display.

Science point can currently only be collected landed. Mostly, due to limited time for testing in orbit at the moment. Well, actually I'm working on another mod at the moment, but I will try to circle back to these cameras soon.

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2018 at 1:01 AM, Elon Kerman Jr said:

Any news on new parts

Unfortunately I'm swamped at work for the time being, so I have been unable to progress. Hope for better times and more KSP in the not too distant future =)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mistergoblin said:

Any plans to update for 1.5.x? Or has anyone tried it?

Like the majority of parts packages, this mostly works regardless of which version of KSP you install it in. I've been playing with it installed and it seems fine, if you're worried then only the cameras make use of external .dll files so you could just delete or ignore them.

3 minutes ago, JH4C said:

Like the majority of parts packages, this mostly works regardless of which version of KSP you install it in. I've been playing with it installed and it seems fine, if you're worried then only the cameras make use of external .dll files so you could just delete or ignore them.

Sounds good! Just in time to head home and try it out :D

10 minutes ago, ARTOBAN said:

Craft file ?

I have no craft file for it - it is not meant as a full replica, just Insight inspired parts that can fit into the game in general. After that, you'll have to complete it with whatever science instrument you want etc =)

I do really enjoy building probe landers with this green heat shield, complemented with a stock parachute on top and a heat shield on the bottom. I can also recommend the Rocket Emporium interstage decouplers in order to connect the parachute more easily.

Why are there 2 attachment points on top of the green cover? And I guess the cover needs to be shifted down, so that it closes with the heat shield I need to attach to the bottom?

Maybe there is some other interfering mod, but the landing legs seem to be too weak - even with spring and damper strength set to maximum, on the launchpad they're only half extended. Might work better on Duna, though...

2 hours ago, infinite_monkey said:

Why are there 2 attachment points on top of the green cover? And I guess the cover needs to be shifted down, so that it closes with the heat shield I need to attach to the bottom?

Maybe there is some other interfering mod, but the landing legs seem to be too weak - even with spring and damper strength set to maximum, on the launchpad they're only half extended. Might work better on Duna, though...

I'm glad you asked! The reason why there is 2 attachment points is that you can choose a small or a big parachute, and it will automatically fill up the missing area with more beautiful green cone =)

The heat shield should go on the big bottom node, a standard 3.75 m shield should fit good without adjustments!
The green cover has a built in decoupler for the bottom node, so no need to add an extra one!

It could be the legs should be strengthened, yes!

• 2 weeks later...

@Katten, I think I've found an issue that may be related to part overhauls in KSP 1.5.X.  The shrouds that join spherical containers to the objects they're attached to keep getting relocated beyond the attachment point.  The easy way to replicate this is with an Okto and RB-1 or RB-2, attach a stock coupler (I used a 1.25m; need to check when they went thin-profile), then attach a few 0.625m tanks underneath to follow what's going on.  In the editor, everything looks as it should - once in flight, the shroud is visible well below the coupler.  I didn't catch this with larger diameter tanks until I accidentally moused over it and it showed through in green outline.

I'll create a bare install of KSP 1.5.1 (probably this weekend) just to verify it isn't something another mod may be causing.

I've also seen some animated attachment weirdness, which I'll comment on over in that thread.

EDIT: FYI, this doesn't appear to be constrained to the couplers.  Just adding a stack of three 0.625m tanks directly to the the pod produces the same result.  It also happens with both the lower and upper shrouds.

Edited by KSPrynk

On 12/6/2018 at 9:53 PM, KSPrynk said:

I'll create a bare install of KSP 1.5.1 (probably this weekend) just to verify it isn't something another mod may be causing.

@Katten, confirmed in no other mod install of KSP 1.5.1 - the shrouds still get offset in the flight view.  Also, the "Jettison Shroud" buttons don't seem to do anything.

Edited by KSPrynk

On 12/9/2018 at 1:06 AM, KSPrynk said:

@Katten, confirmed in no other mod install of KSP 1.5.1 - the shrouds still get offset in the flight view.  Also, the "Jettison Shroud" buttons don't seem to do anything.

Thanks for the report! I take it this behavior regarding offsets isn't visible in other parts than from RE? 

The Jettison shroud thing isn't expected to work as I only use the ModuleJettison part module to get the effect of sub part of the model disconnecting with the decoupler, based on some stock parts. But I'll see if there is another way of doing it that doesn't cause the Jettison Shroud button to be visible.

Edited by Katten

v1.8.3
* Added an integrated fairing to the thermal fairing top side. It works like an interstage, allowing you to hide something inside, a parachute for example. This can also be done using the Rocket Emporium interstage decouplers if you prefer that look! =)

Here's a run-through on how to build an Insight style lander! :kiss:

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 3:29 PM, Katten said:

Aha! These two parts are pretty much in beta stage still and probably requires more work. I'm hesitant if maybe I should put them in a separate mod in order to not create too much confusion for the rest of RE.

I thought it was working decently in the latest release, 1.8.2... but I see I am also experiencing problems right now in my install.

Happy New Year!  Like JHC4, I've seen the same problem with the SOAP cameras only imaging the skybox when in orbit.  Surprisingly, I've been unable to find any other small, snap/save-a-pic-and-get-science, camera parts.  The closet examples I've seen are associated with giant space telescopes, such as Tarsier Space Technology and Cacteye Optics.

Branching the RE science parts into a separate mod sounds reasonable, and may be appreciated by those of us who have to micromanage our RAM consumption.

On 12/9/2018 at 1:06 AM, KSPrynk said:

Just a notice that I can confirm this behavior in 1.6 too, and working to resolve it. Some stock parts use the same concept, without issues, so it should certainly be possible.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2019 at 9:35 PM, Katten said:

Just a notice that I can confirm this behavior in 1.6 too, and working to resolve it. Some stock parts use the same concept, without issues, so it should certainly be possible.

Small update, continuing to search for the cause of this issue. Seems to be an interaction between the ModuleAnimateGeneric and ModuleJettison.
Likely a bug that I have exposed... no clear way to work around it at the moment, but will continue trying.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.