[1.10] Rocket Emporium 1.8.5 (2020-07-15)

Katten

A bit more info on the parts affected by the update:

Hinge:
* Has 180 degrees range of motion. 
* Changed from the earlier small flap thing into a more stable model
* Doesn't have soft start. This is to make it possible to combine multiple hinges with consistent angular speeds,
despite any deploy limits

Rotator:
* 360 degrees range of motion.
* Comes in 3 different variants - Small (0.3125), Large (0.625), Small to Large.

Extender: 
* Comes in 2 different variants - Small (0.3125) and Tiny (~0.15625), with the same range of motion 

General: 
* Use Deploy Limit to select the needed range of motion. For example, 50 works well for creating a 90 degree hinge.
* If you want to surface attach something on the inside of the spheres or robotic parts, make sure to use the structural Mounting Plate as an attachment poin

12 hours ago, Katten said:

v1.6.0 - Robotastic
* Updated robotic models to have a consistent size
* Put an attachment node under the lid of the reentry sphere
* Added a cylindrical structural part for robot arms
* Fixed the download path in the version file
Muna Sphere:
* Put attachment nodes under the flaps
* Hollowed out the bottom compartment
* The compartment can still be selected as closed for backward compatibilty or reduced node collider count
* Removed the battery resource 

MunaShpereRobotastic.png?raw=true

ReentrySphereRobotastic.png?raw=true

Is that the small robot arm in picture 1 cuase I like it 

16 minutes ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

Is that the small robot arm in picture 1 cuase I like it 

That's a combination of hinges, rotators, the structural cylinder and the mounting plate =)

Edit: ah, did you mean the pic with the muna sphere? Yes, that's the "extender" below.

Here with their different part variants:

RobotasticParts.png?raw=true

Edited by Katten

Ever felt like uncontrollably tumble down the Duna hills inside a pyramid shaped cage with nothing but flimsy inflatable balloons to protect you? Well, that's pretty specific, i must say. But we are here to oblige.

v.1.7.0 - Ukemi
* Added a rover lander inspired by Mars missions
* Added a simple ballon with high crash tolerance
* Added a small rover body
* Added TweakScale configs

(On the pic, the rover body is scaled 150%)

CM1RoverBody.png?raw=true

Tips:

* The balloons can survive pretty high speeds, so you can slow down the lander with a parachute - no rocket engines required.

* You can attach a parachute to the top attach node of the lander, but put an upside-down decoupler to remove it before opening the lander. Otherwise it will look silly...

* For the ballons, attach a structural mounting plate to the side attach nodes of the lander, and the attach the balloons to the mounting plate - since surface attachments are still not animated.

* Bug! I think there is a bug that causes saving the game to fail if you are controlling a separate vessel (like a rover) close to the lander, or other parts with AnimatedAttachment. Will investigate soon, but if you encounter this issue, try to switch control to the lander for now. EDIT: was not able to reproduce it. The hunt goes on.

* Tell me what you think of the sizes and balancing of these parts. I didn't have much time for testing and looking at proper tech levels etc yet. 

Edited by Katten

7 hours ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

@KattenI like it but the rover body with the green looks a bit weird but the airbags are good. Also do you want someone to write a kspedia on how to use all the stuff especially the hinges ?

Thanks for the feedback! Any idead what i can improve on it? It was loosly based on this little fella.

A ksppedia would be great!

Edited by Katten

3 minutes ago, Elon Kerman Jr said:

Isn't there a special thing to make kspedias

And I know that little rover:)

Is it the color or what bugs you? =)

Yes, there is a way of creating them, although not entirely trivial as it seems...

2 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

HOW DID I NEVER KNOW ABOUT THIS?!?

This is like a grabbag of all the little probey bits I’ve always wanted! :D

So... looks like “just” a straightforward parts pack, shouldn’t be any serious compatibility issues with KSP 1.2.2, right?

Good question! Some parts are dependent on the plugin AnimatedAttachment. It didn't exists pre 1.4. In best case it works, or at least it might loose functionality without causing any critical errors. In worst case, it throws some exceptions that stops you from using the save function or similar. Well, there's only one way to find out ;) 

2 minutes ago, RocketScientist said:

Oo, I've always wanted a Pathfinder in KSP. Is there a possibility you can make solar panels that cover the whole side part?

Aha! Hmm... probably! But I haven't made any panels before. At the same, I prefer not to make parts that just fit exactly together, its better to have some challenges building a vessel. It'd be cooler if I could get surface attachments to work so we can build the panels from multiple pieces of standard panels or similar, maybe?

I'm hestitating if I should make the rover lander 2.5m instead of 3.75? It might be a bit too big for stock? 

I think as an approximation, 2.5m would be a Sojourner lander (or even 1.875m?), and 3.75m would be Spirit/Opportunity.

Curiosity was landed using a skycrane due to its size.

In any case, TweakScale is working okey to change tune the sizes, so it might be a moot point.

EvolutionofRovers.jpg

2 hours ago, Katten said:

I'm hestitating if I should make the rover lander 2.5m instead of 3.75? It might be a bit too big for stock? 

I think as an approximation, 2.5m would be a Sojourner lander (or even 1.875m?), and 3.75m would be Spirit/Opportunity.

KSP parts are near 1.5 times smaller than their real-life counterparts (for example, Mk1-3 Command Pod (diameter 2.5m) is an analogue for Apollo Command Module, which was 3.9m in diameter).

Dimension of Curiosity rover, From Wikipedia:

The rover is 2.9 m (9.5 ft) long by 2.7 m (8.9 ft) wide by 2.2 m (7.2 ft) in height.

So, I suggest no more than 2 meters long large rover body (Curiosity), and respectively smaller for smaller rovers.

1 hour ago, Judicator81 said:

KSP parts are near 1.5 times smaller than their real-life counterparts (for example, Mk1-3 Command Pod (diameter 2.5m) is an analogue for Apollo Command Module, which was 3.9m in diameter).

Dimension of Curiosity rover, From Wikipedia:

So, I suggest no more than 2 meters long large rover body (Curiosity), and respectively smaller for smaller rovers.

Thanks, that's very helpful!

Hmm, so that's the rover parts themselves. The 1.6m S/O still only seems to have a 2.6m round fairing, which encloses the triangle cage. So I don't really know how they manage to squeese that in, but I think in real life they can pack stuff a bit easier than in KSP. I'm gonna have to continue thinking about how to do this and if I should try to support two sizes or just make one, some kind of middle ground between them. Although two different sizes would be fun for progression too..? Oh, and I totally wanna do the skycrane =)

Maybe like this: make the Sojourner rover body small enough to fit in a 1.875m lander simplified version, possibly with new smaller wheels as well, and keep the current one pretty large for bigger missions?

phoenix.jpg

Edited by Katten

2 hours ago, Katten said:

Thanks, that's very helpful!

Hmm, so that's the rover parts themselves. The 1.6m S/O still only seems to have a 2.6m round fairing, which encloses the triangle cage. So I don't really know how they manage to squeese that in, but I think in real life they can pack stuff a bit easier than in KSP. I'm gonna have to continue thinking about how to do this and if I should try to support two sizes or just make one, some kind of middle ground between them. Although two different sizes would be fun for progression too..? Oh, and I totally wanna do the skycrane =)

Maybe like this: make the Sojourner rover body small enough to fit in a 1.875m lander simplified version, possibly with new smaller wheels as well, and keep the current one pretty large for bigger missions?

phoenix.jpg

Phoenix style solar panels?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.