autolanding probe

Hi everyone, i'm new in this forum so i don't know if this is the place to ask this question but here it is.

Do you know if it is possible to create a probe, a rocket or any part , attach it to a plane or rocket and undock it or just disengage it while flying, and set the parachutes to autodeploy when it reaches certain altitud?, i know that it's possible to make the parachuttes autodeploy themselves if you control the plane or the probe or whatever you disengage but if not, if you control the plane which was carrying the probe after disengage it, the parachutes don't deploy even if they are armed...

anyone can help me please :)

Set the parachutes of the probe to the same stage as the one that separates the probe. You may want to increase the full deployment altitude to something more than the default one kilometer.

There is one consideration however, you will need to keep the probe and the carrier craft within 25km of each other until the probe touches down. I'm recalling 25 km anyways.

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, as steuben says -- the key concept here is the physics bubble. You have to arm the parachutes before you decouple the probe, as you said. But then your vessel with focus needs to keep the probe within the physics bubble (it might be 22.5km) until the probe reaches the ground safely. If you are outside the physics bubble, the parachutes won't work on the probe and it will be destroyed.

3 hours ago, excelsiorvariant said:

Do you know if it is possible to create a probe, a rocket or any part, attach it to a plane or rocket and undock it or just disengage it while flying, and set the parachutes to autodeploy when it reaches certain altitude?

Yes, that's what the right-click altitude and pressure settings on a parachute are for.  I use this to make "drop pods" out of solid rockets, airplane tubes, and parachutes which auto-deploy and drop themselves out of orbit without any piloting help or indeed any possibility of piloting at all.

They still need watching all the way down or else they'll disappear, unless you install a mod like "stage recovery".

Edited by Corona688

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.