The food you're craving right now...

adsii1970

Ok, it is late in the evening on a Saturday night and for some reason I am craving a bowl of homemade gumbo... :(

On 5/26/2018 at 10:40 AM, YNM said:

On actual craving : Fish. All the time. Give me any fish and I'm happy.

Depends on the type of fish. Salmon - yes, catfish, yes, tuna - depends. tilapia - not really.

6 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Depends on the type of fish. Salmon - yes, catfish, yes, tuna - depends. tilapia - not really.

As long as it's not this fish, it's all delicious, as long as the seasoning/recipe is right. Like, we have recipes specifically utilizing this fish, and it's great. (we often cook tilapia in my family, being easily available, don't have too many bones, and pretty tasty. Dunno if we get the same tilapia as you'd get though.)

Edited by YNM

Authentic quebecois poutine (probably the best thing to be put on top of french fried potatoes since chili cheese) and a Cold Molson Canadian.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:51 AM, Geonovast said:

I recently discovered Taquitos and now I can't stop thinking about Taquitos.

Better have some guacamole  refried beans or salsa handy I especially like dipping Taquitos in guacamole, refried beans,  or salsa, as for actual taquito stuffing I really like chorizo,  that or Carnitas (spiced braised and shredded pork) often with cheese. 

On 6/3/2018 at 3:50 AM, YNM said:

As long as it's not this fish, it's all delicious, as long as the seasoning/recipe is right. Like, we have recipes specifically utilizing this fish, and it's great. (we often cook tilapia in my family, being easily available, don't have too many bones, and pretty tasty. Dunno if we get the same tilapia as you'd get though.)

I forget if it's Alabama or Georgia (US states), but one of them is host to the (alleged) largest Tilapia farm in the world(?). The farm is actually a Trout hatchery; Trout are given high quality feed, and the Tilapia are there to eat up the Trout poop.

As for myself, I'm about to throw a big 2-1/2 inch thick slab of cow on the grill... which will be served up red and runny and still twitchin. Add to that fresh Jersey corn and a baked potato... and it's M'Lady's turn to pick out the wine. Bon Appétit!

It's the height of tomato season in my father's garden.  Fresh, ripe tomatoes, full of flavor; so unlike the flavorless wax balls you get at the grocery store.

Bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches.  (With fried egg)  Several kinds of tomato sauce.  Tomatoes eaten by themselves.  Tomatoes eaten in salad.  Tomato and cucumber salad (it's also cucumber season).  Tomatoes tomatoes tomatoes!

So, right now, I'm craving something besides tomatoes.  For dinner, I'm going to have...

Pasta, with tomato sauce.  Of course.

Spoiler

4 pounds tomatoes
1 onion
handful of basil leaves
salt
pepper
olive oil
1-3 cloves garlic

Remove the stem ends from the tomatoes, cut out any bad spots.  Quarter, but do not cut all the way through them.  Place in a pot with the quartered onion, basil, salt, and pepper.  Cook on medium 15-20 minutes.  Puree until smooth.

Add a little oil to pan, heat, add minced garlic.  Add pureed tomato mixture.  Simmer about 20 minutes.

Serve with some sort of pasta with lots of holes or crevices to capture and hold the sauce.

3 large Tomatoes, diced
1 small Onion, diced
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Olive oil
Lemon, juice from 1
8 leaves Basil
1 tablespoon Oregano
1 teaspoon Rosemary
1.5 teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste

Mix all together.  Let sit for a while.  Serve on pasta.  Also makes a good bruschetta topping.

Nice thing about this one is that you can make up a batch of it, and as you have left over tomatoes from other things, you can toss them in the bowl and keep rebuilding the sauce.  My parents usually have a batch of this around until the tomatoes run out.

Edited by razark

11 hours ago, YNM said:

I can see where it gets wrong.

Is this Tilapia though ?

That's interesting... that Wiki link (I can't read it, don't know the language), when I switch the page to English, an entirely different fish comes up - although I think it's still a type of Tilapia. I don't know if that's the 'good eating' Tilapia. Apparently there are so many variants of the species, half of which I'd never heard of before. In looking at the picture in your link, the first thing that came to my mind was that it looked like a common 'Sunny' (two different types, 1, 2) or Rock Bass that we have around here... that's just at first glance though. Definitely not the same fish. Sunnys, Perch, and Bass are all real good eats though.

Many a time my buddy and I have lazed about in a boat on a lake with a grill on the stern... Bass, Perch, etc, right out of the water, gutted, and straight onto the grill. Can you say tasty?

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

Bass, Perch, etc, right out of the water, gutted, and straight onto the grill. Can you say tasty?

Ooh that sounds very nice. Live fishes killed on spot and immediately cooked.

But yeah, seems like we're talking different fishes.

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

(I can't read it, don't know the language)

Hahah, we use nearly the same pronounce as yours XD but yeah, that (I think) is what you'd call "tilapia". But apparently there's a good gap.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

You went to Disneyland just to eat a sandwich?

You must have really wanted that sandwich :sticktongue:

OK, we were going anyway, but it was my main reason for being happy about going :D

On 6/25/2018 at 12:39 PM, tater said:

Last week I was craving a Monte Christo sandwich at Disneyland, so I went there and had one :D

I wish I could be as dedicated as you :D

I'm craving cinnamon rolls. I found a good recipie a few weeks ago, and they're really good, but it takes almost 2 hours to make. And I usually double the frosting. Not good for you, I know, but I make up for it later in the day, and I can't even make them all the time, so it's more like an indulgence.
Now that I'm talking about this, I may make them tomorrow. xD

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.