The food you're craving right now...

adsii1970

13 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

A fortuitous time! Around here, turkey is cheaper even than chicken right now. We're eating it with basically every meal, making dog food out of it, everything.

What we do is buy four or five turkeys while they are on sale at Thanksgiving, then throw them in our chest freezer in the garage and pull one out every couple of months through the year. But there is still something special about the whole Thanksgiving feast thing. It's my favorite holiday of the entire year.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

What we do is buy four or five turkeys while they are on sale at Thanksgiving, then throw them in our chest freezer in the garage and pull one out every couple of months through the year.

My parents do this.  I have in the past, and would now, but I lack the space to store a single turkey, much less multiple birds.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

But there is still something special about the whole Thanksgiving feast thing.

I agree, but there's also a lot to be said for the random off-season turkey dinner.  It's a lot less stress, not worrying about family gatherings or making sure all the traditional dishes are prepared, or using the fancy china, etc.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

We're eating it with basically every meal, making dog food out of it, everything.

That's one thing I love about turkey.  After the meal come the sandwiches.  And various dishes made from leftovers.  And once the carcass has been stripped of meat, it's time to make stock for soup.

10 hours ago, razark said:

I agree, but there's also a lot to be said for the random off-season turkey dinner.  It's a lot less stress, not worrying about family gatherings or making sure all the traditional dishes are prepared, or using the fancy china, etc.

Well, for us in this stage of life, Thanksgiving dinner is just our immediate family, mostly because of geography. We like it that way, for all the reasons you outline above. It makes it easier to focus on the real purpose of the holiday: being thankful.

21 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Me too.  Still stuffed.  Can barely move.  I didn't eat that much turkey, perhaps a portion the size of the palm of my hand... but I made a total wreck of myself eating everything else in sight.  Oh and wine.  Let's not forget the wine.  :blink:

Yeah, I had a fair amount of a nice pinot noir.

Was too lazy to seriously get all the meat off the carcass, so I cut it apart with shears, and threw it in the stock pot, and cooked it til this morning.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lapis said:

gyros

I just noticed that one of the local rotating restaurants in the area has become a gyro place.  I need to try it before it, too, disappears.

(And you avatar picture reminds me way too much of last night's D&D session.)

1 minute ago, razark said:

just noticed that one of the local rotating restaurants in the area has become a gyro place.  I need to try it before it, too, disappears.

(And you avatar picture reminds me way too much of last night's D&D session.)

try it , it will change your life

also yeah a couple weeks ago I got all natural ones meaning I tripped on alot of potholes

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.