Flameout while on the ground--well water, actually.

So I landed my Mallard and picked up my crashed Kerbal, but when I reversed thrust to gently back out from the shore, it flamed out?  What's going on? Could I have sucked water in the intake?  How do I get this thing in the air?

The picture shows it at full thrust, but I actually started with the throttle all the way down and nudged it up. The aircraft probably moved half a metre and died.

TeJ6Arm.png

Edited by Klapaucius

1 minute ago, GrouchyDevotee said:

Are you float rated?

Can you explain what you mean by that?  I was just using the stock Mallard (with added cabin space) which according to the Kerbal wikipedia entry is considered a seaplane.  So I was assuming it would all be fine.  I've taken off and landed on water with these before.

14 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

You can use a jet engine to power a submarine, so probably the water is not a problem ;)

Air intakes are open? Does the airintake also shows zero air flow? what happens when you switch to forward thrust?

Intakes are open. I closed and reopened them just to try. I also tried going back to forward thrust. No luck. Maybe this is a bug.

I've just tried for myself and everything works fine. Stock Mallard, splashed down, reverse and forward thrust are working fine and I can launch again.

If you haven't done jet, you can try to switch to the KSC and back to your Mallard, just to reload the vessel. You can also try to push the plane with one of your Kerbals and look if you can get some air but it might be too heavy. Oh, since this is KSP, you can also try to open your cargo bays, they have some strange behauviour while in the water.

If everything fails, just recover the vessel even though this will make the rescue mission somehow gratuitous.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Thrust reversers are designed for slowing down, not backing up.:wink:

KSP doesn't care. The air intakes should provide some airflow at sea level, independent on the move direction, they don't even need electricity. This air flow can be reveserd und push back your plane.

16 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I've just tried for myself and everything works fine. Stock Mallard, splashed down, reverse and forward thrust are working fine and I can launch again.

If you haven't done jet, you can try to switch to the KSC and back to your Mallard, just to reload the vessel. You can also try to push the plane with one of your Kerbals and look if you can get some air but it might be too heavy. Oh, since this is KSP, you can also try to open your cargo bays, they have some strange behauviour while in the water.

If everything fails, just recover the vessel even though this will make the rescue mission somehow gratuitous.

Nah, I think I will just mount another rescue mission. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

Rescue the rescue mission. Classic :D

I'm still pretty new to all this, so I have been spending a bunch of time just noodling around with the stock planes and learning how to fly better.  And it has been kind of cool to test the stock planes back to back, both on Kerbin and (with help from the mission builder) on Laythe.

Pk3ijSZ.pngtrTdFLl.png

When you rebuilt that Mallard, something bad must have happened. Those large circular intakes provide plenty of air for any jet engine -- even fully submerged as said above.

Flameouts happen when your air intakes are providing far less air than your engine's throttle setting requires. Mallards have two air intakes per engine (which is one more than you can actually use) -- but that makes is very unlikely that all four air intakes would fail at the same time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.