Import craft.file from sandbox not possible? (Solved)

Mikki

As the title says i tried several times to im- or export craft files from or to the missionbuilder and it looks not feasible... or is there any way to do so?

Edited by Mikki

As far as I know, it is not possible.  I remember seeing another user noticed in his craft files a vehicle build in sandbox references different part ID's or somesuch, versus when the exact same vehicle is built in the mission editor or within a mission.

This could really use to be added to the mission builder, as when I am in mission builder mindset, I don't always want to spend 2 hours in the middle of a mission building a craft.  Additionally, if someone has a complicated craft that they love from their own career or sandbox game and want to include that in a mission of theirs, forcing them to recreate it within the mission builder seems strange.

If would be great if there was an automated process that would search a sandbox or career or science craft file for part ID's and then translate them to MH ones.  Alas, there is not.

• 2 weeks later...

This is perfectly doable. Start creating a mission and save it.
Copy the craft file from your sandbox to the appropriate \Missions\<missionname>\Ships\VAB (or SPH) folder.
reload the mission in the Mission Builder. The craft will now appear for creator defined vessels.
If you want to use it on nodes in your mission copy the file before trying to select/assign it to nodes in the mission. but even then; once it is copied and you reload the mission you can reselect it on nodes in the builder and select parts, etc.
When you export a mission the craft files in the Mission folder are automatically zipped with the mission.
Craft files that are created from the Mission builder can also be copied from the Mission folder to any other save folder.
Craft that are created during mission playthrough are also available in the \saves\missions\<missionname>\Ships folders as well and can be copied to any other save/mission folder.

The 5 craft in "The Jool Mix-Up" were created not just in Sandbox mode, but in 1.3 before 1.4 even came out. They worked fine, though I think all 5 of them I also edited later from within Making History.

I just copied the craft from the sandbox game's VAB to the VAB folder in \missions\ (not in \saves\missions\ ) and they showed up just fine.

Edited by 5thHorseman

On 5/21/2018 at 12:30 AM, JPLRepo said:

This is perfectly doable. Start creating a mission and save it.
Copy the craft file from your sandbox to the appropriate Missions\<missionname>\Ships\VAB (or SPH) folder.
reload the mission in the Mission Builder. The craft will now appear for creator defined vessels.
If you want to use it on nodes in your mission copy the file before trying to select/assign it to nodes in the mission. but even then; once it is copied and you reload the mission you can reselect it on nodes in the builder and select parts, etc.
When you export a mission the craft files in the Mission folder are automatically zipped with the mission.
Craft files that are created from the Mission builder can also be copied from the Mission folder to any other save folder.
Craft that are created during mission playthrough are also available in the \saves\missions\<missionname>\Ships folders as well and can be copied to any other save/mission folder.

Okay, i see now what i have missed while trying it, will check again and follow your instruction.
I remember that i only checked directly the content of the VAB/SPH of a target mission if the copied crafts appeared, thank you for clearing this up!
:)

@Hi @JPLRepo, i followed your instruction and it works perfectly the way you mentioned, its much more convenient to tinker with a specific vessel in sandbox and then import it to the Missionbuilder, great feature!
I missed the "Missions" folder in KSP main folder and first pasted it into the "saved" one...

I really don`t wan`t to replicate things like that perfectly working ones again just to discover something isn`t exactly that well like the original in sandbox :wink:... Thanks again for answering my issue.

Spoiler

oPg0nTS.png

Edited by Mikki

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.