Finally theoretically able to play.

Will Fawkes

After years of dealing with decade old hardware I finally have something that, in theory, is in the 'recommended specs' end of things. So a friend gifted me a KSP steam code and I'm poking around so even though the little guys will still explode they might do so less frequently or in more interesting ways.

OK so new guy questions:

How do I make the assembly process put things semetrycally? (yaya stabilizing fins.)

Suggestions on making a science satilite now that i have the probodyne, science jr, and such? Was considering putting a probe up top, a cargo bay stuffed with batteries, antenna, a science jr, a couple chutes, heat shielding. Yet when I tried that NONE of the staging worked.

Also all my rockets keep acting all like.. bottle rockets. ;0-;

Turnso ut rocket scence is hard!

5 hours ago, Will Fawkes said:

How do I make the assembly process put things semetrycally? (yaya stabilizing fins.)

In the bottom left corner of the VAB/SPH, are two icons.

62screenshot373.png

The one in the red circle controls symmetry.  1x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 6x, 8x.  It also has a mirrored mode for building airplanes.

The one in the green circle controls snap.  When it's a hexagon, snap is on.  I recommend leaving this on unless you specifically need it off for fine positioning.

Suggestions on making a science satilite now that i have the probodyne, science jr, and such? Was considering putting a probe up top, a cargo bay stuffed with batteries, antenna, a science jr, a couple chutes, heat shielding.

Unfortunately we can't help much here without seeing what you already have.  Take some screenshots (F1, and they will be put in your KSPDirectory/game/Screenshots folder.) and post them here (Link in my sig on how to do that.)

Yet when I tried that NONE of the staging worked.

I have a feeling you're staging backwards.  Stages at the bottom go first.  Stage 0 will be your launch stage.

Turnso ut rocket scence is hard!

It is!  But hang out here, and it'll get easier.  Lots of good tutorials and lots of good people here.

You think it's bad now, wait until you start docking. ;)

Edited by Geonovast

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

It is!  But hang out here, and it'll get easier.  Lots of good tutorials and lots of good people here.

I'm planning on getting Mech-Jeb and docking assist later on, but since I'm at the ABSOLUTE base starting out I wanted to at least get to orbit before adding assist mods.