Interplanetary Travel, with Kerbal Landing and Return

DomAzaris1996

My basic idea for travelling to the planets, is to launch two rockets.. A single manned one for landing, and a 3 man one (with only 2 pilots at liftoff) which will be the main orbiter...

Basically, you launch for the rockets into an orbit around a planet, land the single manned one, and then take off and rendezvous, then EVA the kerbal and blast back to Kerbin with the orbiter.. This way the orbit saves fuel from the landing, and the lander saves fuel from the going home...

Ive already been practicing this procedure (with lower powered rockets) on Minmus, and it worked beautifully :D Of course, my lander will not be a pod with 2 RCS tanks and legs :P It will need to have power to return to a stable orbit, and rendezvous with the orbiter...

Mind you, I still haven't been able to rendezvous around Kerbin, only minmus due to its low gravity, and a 5km space walk :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.