Base jumping capability

The Kerbal parachutes are really maneuverable and behave a lot like their real world analogues--so long as you only come out at altitude from an aircraft.

If you parachute onto a mountain peak, you may not be able to get off, if it is steep on all sides and not big enough to land a plane on. I've tried several times to step off a cliff and glide down only to die horribly.

Kerbals should be able to step off a cliff and deploy their chutes, or even set it up to deploy before they do.  A personal chute hotkey would be good as well.

3 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

The Kerbal parachutes are really maneuverable and behave a lot like their real world analogues--so long as you only come out at altitude from an aircraft.

If you parachute onto a mountain peak, you may not be able to get off, if it is steep on all sides and not big enough to land a plane on. I've tried several times to step off a cliff and glide down only to die horribly.

Kerbals should be able to step off a cliff and deploy their chutes, or even set it up to deploy before they do.  A personal chute hotkey would be good as well.

Check your deploy altitude ... default is set to 1000 meters so if you are above that you will just fall with a partially opened chute and typically die a horible death crashing against the mountain you just jumped off of:wink:

30 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Check your deploy altitude ... default is set to 1000 meters so if you are above that you will just fall with a partially opened chute and typically die a horible death crashing against the mountain you just jumped off of:wink:

Usually I do. It seems however, that before I can right click and activate the chute, they have bounced off a wall or something and either died, or rendered the chute inoperable. Have you managed it?

9 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

before I can right click and activate the chute, they have bounced off a wall or something and either died, or rendered the chute inoperable.

What about pinning the kerbal info window before executing the jump?

16 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

What about pinning the kerbal info window before executing the jump?

Can you explain what you mean?  I've only been playing since September so I still have a lot to learn.  What do you mean by pinning the window?

38 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

What do you mean by pinning the window?

Each part's right-click window has a little 'pin' icon on the top-right of it. You can 'pin' several part windows up so they don't disappear if you left-click somewhere else. You can do this to EVA kerbals as well, so you can keep the info window up while you move them around.

I'll cut together a quick example and edit this post shortly right now.

And here you go.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Added example

7 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Just like in real life.  You need airspeed to open a chute.   Parachutes don't just magically spring open when you pull the cord, they require some air speed to pull the chute from the pack, and then to fill the chute with air. 

19 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Just like in real life.  You need airspeed to open a chute.   Parachutes don't just magically spring open when you pull the cord, they require some air speed to pull the chute from the pack, and then to fill the chute with air. 

The problem on Kerbin is there is no weather so there is no wind. In real life, a breeze on a ridge would be sufficient. 

And if you jump off a cliff it should deploy. But I have never managed to do so...though that may be my lack of skill and not the game. (EDIT: Just noticed Gordon's updated post with the video--definitely my lack of skill.)

Edited by Klapaucius

4 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Each part's right-click window has a little 'pin' icon on the top-right of it. You can 'pin' several part windows up so they don't disappear if you left-click somewhere else. You can do this to EVA kerbals as well, so you can keep the info window up while you move them around.

I'll cut together a quick example and edit this post shortly right now.

And here you go.

That is so awesome that you did that.  I will be practicing now!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 1:07 AM, Klapaucius said:

That is so awesome that you did that.  I will be practicing now!

Trust him, he's is an engineer, eh?  He knows aboot that kind of thing.

Edited by klesh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.