Things that made you facepalm

Simple, post things you've facepalmed to here.

The rules are the same as the forum's.

Starting off, today I saw a news article claiming that a rock on Mars is an ancient fossil and that NASA is covering it up show up on my feed. And it wasn't posted on a small, conspiracy website, it was posted on Express, where I'm pretty sure a lot of people will see it and end up believing it. No wonder flat earthers are a thing again.

Anyways, what are the things that made you facepalm?

Every time a news channel is considering an air-transportation incident as a "crash". According to most of them, even a precautionary landing without any injuries and/or damages must be defined like that.

Baalbek monoliths.
If we could make those people, who say that this clearly industrial product is made by people with bronze sickles, move it by hands, ropes, or whatever they want.
And whip them while they're doing this.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

This is even tougher than great pyramides.

Edited by kerbiloid

Because i like watching videos about space, the ISS, and the Apollo project, i get often conspiracy videos claiming the Earth is Flat and the Moon landing is a hoax in my YouTube 'recommended' feed, because they have simulair titles.

This was quite a long time ago, but I watched a guy nearly cut his thumb off with a wood saw.

Camping/Canoe trip. Guy goes to cut a log in half. He's not the sharpest tool in the shed mind you. Instead of making his initial cut by drawing the saw back across the log (pulling towards himself), he does it by pushing the saw forward across the log (pushing away from himself). The saw hopped and landed on his thumb, slicing him good. I winced. He screamed, and as he did, he actually pulled the saw back, slicing himself a second time. SMH and facepalm. Can you say Darwin Award winner?

Yes, we wrapped him up and brought him to a hospital.

Edited by LordFerret

3 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Can you say Darwin Award winner?

3 hours ago, Delay said:

Only if he died does it count as a Darwin Award. But yes, that would probably be good enough for one.

I believe the DA's would put that in the "Honorable Mentions / Future Inductees' category.

What makes me facepalm? My teenage son. Like, daily.

klbf.

I've discovered this thrust unit in NASA MDRA Mars Design Reference Architecture pdf.

(As well as kft as a unit of altitude, too).

So, they keep using the Imperial units because it's cool to have 12 in per ft, 16 oz per lb, other non-decimal ratios.
(6, 12, 16, 24, 20, 240, anything but no way 10).

And here they multiply lb and ft by degrees of 10. Why 1000 ft or lbf? Why not 1728 or so?

This is like measure something in dozenmeters or hexatonnes.

32 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

klbf.

I've discovered this thrust unit in NASA MDRA Mars Design Reference Architecture pdf.

(As well as kft as a unit of altitude, too).

So, they keep using the Imperial units because it's cool to have 12 in per ft, 16 oz per lb, other non-decimal ratios.
(6, 12, 16, 24, 20, 240, anything but no way 10).

And here they multiply lb and ft by degrees of 10. Why 1000 ft or lbf? Why not 1728 or so?

This is like measure something in dozenmeters or hexatonnes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kip_(unit)

You know, you could always write to NASA and ask them "why".

https://science.nasa.gov/ask-a-scientist
https://www.nasa.gov/content/submit-a-question-for-nasa
https://www.nasa.gov/about/contact/ask_nasa_form.html

Take your pick.

Hot sunny day.

Just grabbing a coffee from the office machine to take with me to lunch.

I have one chocolate biscuit left. Its *very* chocolatey. According to the pack its "over 60% dark chocolate". This will be important later.

I have my keys and office pass in one hand and my coffee in the other.

"Ill just stick this [biscuit] in my pocket until I get to the car."

<thinking to myself, chuckling> "lol this is just what 6-year-old p1t1o would do, store unwrapped snacks directly in my pocket! But Im going to eat it in the car, it'll be fine."

It wasnt fine.

I forgot about the biscuit for about 3 hours after spending my lunch hour sat in my hot car in the sun when I put my hand in my pocket for some reason "WHAT THE F - oooooooooooooohhhhhh noooooooooo...."

facepalm

Edited by p1t1o

I get a phone call at work on a Friday morning:

"Hello?"

"Hi. I requested access to this network share for my employee on Wednesday. It is very important that he has access to this share as soon as possible for a critical project. I need to know what the status of this access request is immediately!"

"Okay, let me look that up. The request was submitted by the employee on Wednesday morning, approved by you on Wednesday afternoon, and I granted the request in the system Wednesday evening before I left work. He should have access to that share. Is he not seeing it in his list of network shares?"

"Oh. I have no idea. I didn't even ask him."

<facepalm>

22 hours ago, Delay said:

Who was who in that conversation?

Slightly obvious ?

23 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I get a phone call at work 

Edited by YNM

The kids in the show im watching right now are such bad actors, they show absolutely no emotion, im pretty sure that these kids would just walk away with a blank face when a nuclear bomb detonates. 

But here is the thing, im not facepalming because the kids are bad actors, but because i made this stupid complaint in the first place.

19 minutes ago, NSEP said:

The kids in the show im watching right now are such bad actors

Disney Channel?!

20 minutes ago, NSEP said:

they show absolutely no emotion

Oops, no... it can be the channel of the Mouse. Instead his actors tend to overplay badly.

4 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

Disney Channel?!

No, its a show called 'Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden'. Its a Dutch show with an adult target audience. Its not bad, i think its overrated however.

Had one such facepalm-worthy moment in my final today. I was literally not able to work out what 12/60 yields.

But of course I immediately knew what the answer was as soon as I finished the final and the stress dropped.

Edited by Delay

10 minutes ago, NSEP said:

'Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden

The bigger question is: You're watching this stuff?

Unless there is a massive difference between "Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden" and "Gute Zeiten, schlechte Zeiten", but I doubt it.

3 minutes ago, Delay said:

The bigger question is: You're watching this stuff?

My mom left it on :D

4 minutes ago, Delay said:

Unless there is a massive difference between "Goede Tijden, Slechte Tijden" and "Gute Zeiten, schlechte Zeiten", but I doubt it.

There is a big difference between the two actually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.