I'm very, very sad...

Chel

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Hi folks,

Quite a few posts had to be either redacted or pruned outright, due to a descent into name-calling and personal attacks.  We're all friends here (right?), and we all treat each other with respect (right?)... but then, you all already know that name-calling is not okay (right?), so I know I don't actually need to be mentioning all this.

Nothing wrong with lively debate, but do try to avoid leveling personal criticism at each other, okay?

Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks Snark! Awesome to have you friendly mods helping everyone. :D 

We need to have a moderator appreciation day. 

On 5/15/2018 at 1:38 AM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

That's why I'm writing this right now in Geography.

Geography is indeed simple.
There is KSC, and four islands to the south-east from it. The northern one has an abandoned runway.
There is a mountain ridge to the North, and a big white-blue mountain far away to the east (you can see it from plane or from orbit).
There are hills right to the west. Several years ago there were lakes, but now there are hills. Nobody knows where are the lakes.
There is a big crater across two continents to the north-west, and two polar continents at both poles.
All seas and oceans have te same level of water. As well as lakes do.
Rivers? What is rivers?

And now about the geography of Minmus...

That's mostly all you have to know from geography.

Edited by kerbiloid

25 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Ever tried surveying yourself ?

(tip of the hat to every surveyor.)

Edited by YNM

11 minutes ago, YNM said:

Ever tried surveying yourself ?

(tip of the hat to every surveyor.)

I have no idea what's involved in that, but I've always had a feeling it was one of those jobs that is way harder than it looks.

Just now, Geonovast said:

I have no idea what's involved in that, but I've always had a feeling it was one of those jobs that is way harder than it looks.

Safe to say, yeah.

Thank lord I didn't have to actually practise it, just to get a better understanding.

51 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

... reading measurements from certain areas of my mid-back.

Have you tried two mirrors ?

EDIT : Unconnected jokes aside, here's some real stuff you might want to know.

Edited by YNM

38 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

And don't forget to measure your coastline.

Coastline measurement is on a convenience basis. Who needs to know a 1 km gorge when the smallest features feasibly visible are 5 km in size.

On the other hand, when doing detailed site plannings and drawings, you might end up with two coastline : high water level and low water level.

OS Maps* reflects this.

* : Chose from the dropdown on the top left from 'OpenStreetMap' to 'Ordnace Survey Modern'. Try different zooms.

Edited by YNM

16 hours ago, Dman979 said:

So, uh, the topic was about how the OP can't access the forums at school. Let's get back to that, please.

Yeah, considering that we've just had a few posts (and a video) about surveying land. 

If you are not learning anything in the class, and are pulling a top grade in it to prove it, I don't see the harm (to yourself) in keeping occupied by other means.  I remember my Algebra 2 class, I never brought the book, did the homework in the 5-10 minutes I had before class from a book in the back of the room, got the tests done before the teacher had written up the key (She just started using my tests as the key.   I once intentionally missed a question to see if she even noticed.  She didn't).  I would sit there and program Breakout or some other game on my graphing calculator during the lectures, and then sell that to other students. 

But if you are distracting other's or not staying on top of the course, then it's unacceptable to be doing other things. 

It's also a matter of respect to the teacher and the other students.  If you are ignoring a teacher who is actually putting forth an effort to teach, then I also find that unacceptable.  I wouldn't dream of doing this in my Physics classes, as that teacher was on the ball, and really trying to teach.  But if they're like my algebra teacher, who just didn't care, then go for it.    The respect does go both ways. 

*/ can of worms opened /*

Edited by Gargamel

54 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

If you are not learning anything in the class, and are pulling a top grade in it to prove it

Then help others or learn something else pr something more.

It does becomes fuzzy whether doing other stuff could count under "learning something else".

On 5/18/2018 at 8:44 AM, kerbiloid said:

There is KSC, and four islands to the south-east from it. The northern one has an abandoned runway.
There is a mountain ridge to the North, and a big white-blue mountain far away to the east (you can see it from plane or from orbit).
There are hills right to the west. Several years ago there were lakes, but now there are hills. Nobody knows where are the lakes.
There is a big crater across two continents to the north-west, and two polar continents at both poles.
All seas and oceans have te same level of water. As well as lakes do.
Rivers? What is rivers?

And now about the geography of Minmus...

That's mostly all you have to know from geography.

*Facepalm*

WHY?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.