[INDEV] [1.9] To Boldly Go (0.4.1) | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

seanth

What's next?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What should TBG work on next?

• Procedural atmosphere-less worlds (like Moho)
    • Procedural thin atmosphere worlds (like Duna)
    • Procedural ice worlds (like Eeloo)
    • Compatibility with a warpdrive mod

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2020 at 11:08 AM

On 2/4/2019 at 12:56 AM, seanth said:

While checking out a galaxy, I found a system that is going to eventually have a really exciting day:

QmXHL6mSzky52eGknTnDnUxZ9VxGPjD3mMvl4Oa5

What exactly would happen?? 

> would they collide and crash the game

>or would they just phase through each other causing the random, complete unnessesary destruction similar to the content of Danny2462's YouTube channel

I'm just guessing, but I bet nothing would happen unless the player was in orbit around one of those bodies. At that point the overlapping SOIs would cause hilarious bugs.

This tells me that I should include some sanity checks to look for overlapping SOIs.

1 hour ago, seanth said:

the overlapping SOIs would cause hilarious bugs. 

Just speculating, might the 'bug' be a duplication glitch due to orbiting both bodies or, even better, Kerbal spaghettification? 

1 hour ago, seanth said:

This tells me that I should include some sanity checks to look for overlapping SOIs.

You might want to include sanity checks for planets next to stars judging by the innermost planet's orbit, it's literally inside the star!

Edited by Couldn't think of a name
Explanation was required

31 minutes ago, Couldn't think of a name said:

Just speculating, might the 'bug' be a duplication glitch due to orbiting both bodies or, even better, Kerbal spaghettification? 

You might want to include sanity checks for planets next to stars judging by the innermost planet's orbit, it's literally inside the star!

Funny you mention the innermost orbit problem--I was just thinking about that.

Along those lines, I could use some help tracking down that bug. _I'm_ mainly seeing it in the largest star types (O). IT would be a big help if people could report what the star type is.

It'd be even better if they reported the star's mass (you can look it up in the wiki page TBG makes for each galaxy). Images and galaxy seeds always help, too.

22 hours ago, seanth said:

_I'm_ mainly seeing it in the largest star types (O).

Could you have some  sort of barrier where the planet cannot orbit past, for instance - 'the minimum orbit of a body around the centre of a star is equal to the star's radius time 2' - I'm just theorising as I'm not exactly well versed in coding but might it work?

Edited by Couldn't think of a name
Punctuation - I really need to check my work

2 hours ago, Couldn't think of a name said:

Could you have some  sort of barrier where the planet cannot orbit past, for instance - 'the minimum orbit of a body around the centre of a star is equal to the star's radius time 2' - I'm just theorising as I'm not exactly well versed in coding but might it work?

That's called the Roche Limit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roche_limit

TBG uses relationships like that to place planets. I suspect that either a calculation is going sideways, or there is something graphically off about how some stars are being shown.

Aaannd just like that I see the bug. I hard coded something as a unit test and then never pulled it out. I'll put together a test build later today.

4 hours ago, Couldn't think of a name said:

The Roche limit! That's what it's called! 

Also, what are the requirements to run this mod I'm currently deciding on a new computer and from the looks of things this is going to be amazing and also a little bit straining in the average PC

That really all depends on how many stars, planets, moons, etc you have it make for you.

FWIW I do all my dev work on a 2015 macbook pro laptop, and things run fine with ~300 bodies (stars, planets, moons). I'm sure an actual gaming rig would do fine.

Edited by seanth

1 hour ago, Couldn't think of a name said:

Just one question(two, actually) , I've seen planets with lava lakes in other planet packs and I was wondering if they are actually damaging to the ship if it lands in it (as I haven't developed the technical know-how to get out of kerbin's SOI) and also is there any chance of it being inserted in TBG? 

I'm fairly certain the people making lava lakes for planets can make them damaging to ships. 

As for whether there can be planets with lava oceans in TBA? Yes. There are two ways:

1.) TBG can be configured to use planets in planet packs as templates for planets that appear around other stars

2.) Procedural planets could be produced automagically. I'd just need to know the physics (and/or conditions) that defines where you'd find such planets.

18 hours ago, Couldn't think of a name said:

I've seen planets with lava lakes in other planet packs and I was wondering if they are actually damaging to the ship if it lands in it

HazardousOcean{}

That is a module that can be put into the regular ocean Node of a Planet config and will indeed cause ships to gradually overheat.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, TastyMango said:

By chance is anyone else having an issue generating moons using the Galaxy Gen?

No matter what I input I'm getting a constant 0 moons count at the end :/

What version of TBG are you using?

30 minutes ago, seanth said:

What version of TBG are you using?

v0.3.1.3.1b "Bon Jovi 86"

Your question go me thinking, so I pulled up the previous version's galaxy generators bits and copied them over the current one. Presto! Moons are generated. Now to test if I just made a game breaking galaxy with my mad science.

Edited by TastyMango
followup

Thanks for the quick reply.

Seeds: 5628783, 563593, 420454, 2755295, 8983622, 47, 589392, 42424242, 33369991, and generally lots of random number tapping.  Outside of the Moon issue (and the really low asteroid counts, though I'm guessing this is more due to memory concerns than being unrealistic) everything is great, I especially like the ability to add content from planet packs.

I'm gonna test if my current cludge of using the previous Galaxy gen with the current files is a viable temporary fix.

Update: Kopernicus seems to be screaming bloody murder at the results of my experiment, so it looks like I'll go moonless for a while.

Edited by TastyMango
Update

I'm holding out until Water/Kethane objects are installed, but I love seeing how far the mod has progressed! Can't wait to take this mod for a spin.
Question, though. Do Atmospheres currently play nice (e.g randomly generate sanely)?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.