[INDEV] [1.9] To Boldly Go (0.4.1) | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

seanth

What's next?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What should TBG work on next?

• Procedural atmosphere-less worlds (like Moho)
    • Procedural thin atmosphere worlds (like Duna)
    • Procedural ice worlds (like Eeloo)
    • Compatibility with a warpdrive mod

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2020 at 11:08 AM

On 9/29/2018 at 11:08 PM, seanth said:

Could you post some images of the lighting problem and the seed for your universe? I tested lighting on the dark sides of Kerbin and the Mun and didn't see any problems. I want to make sure I can replicate the errors you are experiencing

How do I post images? The seed is 0.

14 hours ago, Dryo said:

How do I post images? The seed is 0.

You would have to upload the images to some site and the past the url to the image your message.

If I have time this evening, I will make a galaxy with your seed and see if I can replicate your problems. Can you explain in more detail the problems you experience with ships being thrown out of systems?

@Dryo: could you also post the text of the GalaxyGen_info file? That will help me recreate your galaxy for testing.

Edited by seanth

On 9/28/2018 at 8:52 PM, Lisias said:

I may be able to help on this. I'm a experienced Python developer and a KSP enthusiast, and was wondering exactly about this when I read your post.

Learning Python is not that bad, learning to program in a "pythonic" way can be - but who cares? :) A GUI can be a challenge, I usually prefer to use the embedded TK toolkit, besides being a bit ugly - every Python runtime already had it, make things simpler.

Let me know if you are still interested.

Agreed.  I'm going through other people's Python code and it's definitely different than what I'm used to seeing in C++ and Java.  This will take a while more if I want to write code that's reasonably readable.  

Secondly, can I assume that snakes-on-a-plane is the Python port?  If so, then it would be great if one of you @seanth@Lisias could let me know how I can help.  I'm not really all that experienced(I am currently taking the Algorithm/Data Structures course) but I know basic inheritance, recursion, and sort/search algorithms so please don't make me do complicated things that I would screw up.

EDIT: Perhaps using the Projects feature of GitHub would be nice.

EDIT 2: Sorry for replying so late by the way; I was moving all of last week.

Edited by MajikalExplosions

7 hours ago, MajikalExplosions said:

Secondly, can I assume that snakes-on-a-plane is the Python port?  If so, then it would be great if one of you @seanth@Lisias could let me know how I can help.  I'm not really all that experienced(I am currently taking the Algorithm/Data Structures course) but I know basic inheritance, recursion, and sort/search algorithms so please don't make me do complicated things that I would screw up.

EDIT: Perhaps using the Projects feature of GitHub would be nice.

Yeah. Snakes-on-a-plane is the in-process python port. I feel like before I start farming out tasks I should get the bare core of TBG working in python: read star templates, generate basic galaxy cfgs with only stars, and write the info text file and star wiki page.

Once that is done, I think it will be easier to start breaking things into tasks. 

Your idea of using projects is a good one, and I'll set something up tonight or tomorrow.

On 10/3/2018 at 12:18 PM, The Amazing Popsicle said:

Will this mod eat up my ram / cpu power? Because I use 8gb of ram with a intel i5 6th generation. So before I download it I would like to know if I can even run it.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I do most of my dev and testing of TBG on a laptop with 16gig and 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7. You can probably run Kopernicus and TBG on your computer, but you might need to generate a smaller galaxy

4 minutes ago, seanth said:

Yeah. Snakes-on-a-plane is the in-process python port. I feel like before I start farming out tasks I should get the bare core of TBG working in python: read star templates, generate basic galaxy cfgs with only stars, and write the info text file and star wiki page.

Once that is done, I think it will be easier to start breaking things into tasks. 

Your idea of using projects is a good one, and I'll set something up tonight or tomorrow.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I do most of my dev and testing of TBG on a laptop with 16gig and 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7. You can probably run Kopernicus and TBG on your computer, but you might need to generate a smaller galaxy

Thanks I'll have to try it out and if it works  :)

Dearest Cugi,

I spent the last several days converting existing QBasic TBG code to python. There's no plan to abandon the existing version of TBG, but the python version is "working" in that it is generating galaxy, wiki, and info files. Are the calculations actually doing what they should? That remains to be seen. I will say this, though: being able to delete hundreds of lines of ghetto code I wrote in QBasic to approximate pythons string formatting calls felt great.

Survey results are in! Planets in habitable zones narrowly won, with procedural planets close behind. I think, though, that there is enough overlap between those two ideas that I'm going to investigate some procedural planet mods. For example, making sure rocky planets outside the habitable zone lack atmospheres and oceans.

"BUT WAIT!" I hear you cry. "Titan is outside the traditional habitable zone and it has an atmosphere and liquid on its surface." True news. As I'm working on the planets (and moons?) in the habitable zone of stars, I'm going to give some thought about how to handle more exotic planets/moons with atmospheres and liquid _outside_ habitable zones.

Until next time.

-me

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 9:29 PM, seanth said:

I think, though, that there is enough overlap between those two ideas that I'm going to investigate some procedural planet mods.

I messaged Bill2462(he wrote the Planetary Twister mod, might be kinda interesting to look in to); the GitHub project was deleted so I'm trying to get my hands on the source code.  I *think* it's in C++ so it may be slightly harder to figure out tho.

Also - he hasn't been on in a while, so I'm not sure if he'll respond.

Edited by MajikalExplosions

• 3 weeks later...

Would Boldly Go become unstable with a 1.4.5 Back-Port of Kopernicus?

I tried installing it in my 1.4.5 build of KSP a couple weeks back and experienced an issue where when in the map view while on an active vessel, tabbing through planetary bodies & stars caused my active vessel to detonation.

While I'm asking, is there a wiki (I can't seem to find one) detailing how you can customize the Proc-Gen?

I'm on an older PC I'd need something with a much smaller star, planet & moon population.

90+ Stars is a bit daunting x_x

Edited by ToastyOats

I rigged something up for you real quick.  29 stars, 57 planets, 82 moons, no asteroids.  Hopefully this will be small enough for your use.

Link here: https://mega.nz/#!amIVTaKI!lw8TT8iHJrV9dfafLWBcbe0HWPYlwc7UDx6vM8sJ5rY

That's the config you'll need, granted I generated it in a slightly older build that I dredged up from my downloads folder, but it should still be functional.

If that isn't small enough, when you open up the galaxy gen file, hit c for custom galaxy, and then when you get down to the option, hit y for advanced settings.  This will allow you to tailor the exact number and type of stars you want for your galaxy, and you can slim it down further that way.

Is this project dead set on not replacing the stock planets? I think it would be fun to be able to explore a new solar system from the start. It would lead to interesting challenges.

Also, I'm happy to help out if that option for replacing stock planets is on the table.

I've looked around and haven't seen a mod/program that quite does that.

Edited by evandisoft

Not dead, but real-life has been suuuuuper busy for me the past few months.

There's no plans right now to replace the starting system with a new system. It would be relatively easy to do, but I think it makes sense to get other things working before doing that.

Having said that, the code is all up on github, and I encourage people to go ham on it.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, seanth said:

Coming soon: 

100% procedurally generated water worlds in the habitable zones of stars

h1h_BEy2egH7TOfBvvuH_IfdchT4ZZQsW9JG6YLi

Wow! Does it generate scaledspace models and textures too?

Though I'd like to make a few minor suggestions, not for this release perhaps, but maybe for the future, the color of the atmosphere should be determined by the gases and the light from the planet's sun, along with the thickness of the atmosphere. A standard approx-1-bar oxygen atmosphere might look yellow-grey on a planet orbiting a Red Dwarf, for example, and a super thick primordial atmosphere should perhaps be very reddish with carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses. Also, if the atmosphere isn't primarily oxygen-based, then the oceans could, just as with the Early Earth, be rich in iron -- which would give them a green tint. Further consideration should be taken into the possibilities of airborne or waterborne microbial lifeforms existing in large enough numbers to affect the color of a planet, as well as any potential planetary lore you plan to implement in the future should tie into the environment of a world -- perhaps give each planet a 10% chance of being generated as a "post-disaster" world, in which the possible disasters are narrowed down to either natural or artificial disasters, and then a disaster -- meteor shower(lots of craters) vs nuclear apocalypse(visibly irradiated) -- and finally the extent to which the disaster affected the planet. Good science for career mode.

Anyway, these are just suggestions. I'm in awe of the progress you have made with TBG since I relinquished the reins of this amazing if extremely unsteady horse.

Good luck. :)

11 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Wow! Does it generate scaledspace models and textures too?

Though I'd like to make a few minor suggestions, not for this release perhaps, but maybe for the future, the color of the atmosphere should be determined by the gases and the light from the planet's sun, along with the thickness of the atmosphere. A standard approx-1-bar oxygen atmosphere might look yellow-grey on a planet orbiting a Red Dwarf, for example, and a super thick primordial atmosphere should perhaps be very reddish with carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gasses. Also, if the atmosphere isn't primarily oxygen-based, then the oceans could, just as with the Early Earth, be rich in iron -- which would give them a green tint. Further consideration should be taken into the possibilities of airborne or waterborne microbial lifeforms existing in large enough numbers to affect the color of a planet, as well as any potential planetary lore you plan to implement in the future should tie into the environment of a world -- perhaps give each planet a 10% chance of being generated as a "post-disaster" world, in which the possible disasters are narrowed down to either natural or artificial disasters, and then a disaster -- meteor shower(lots of craters) vs nuclear apocalypse(visibly irradiated) -- and finally the extent to which the disaster affected the planet. Good science for career mode.

re scaledspace models: no. Seen from the tracking station the planets look like uniform, boring spheres. I'm considering what to do about that.

Those are all good ideas. Right now I'm just taking baby steps toward fully procedural planets. It turns out the math for calculating radius from mass and crust composition are tricky. Procedurally generated atmosphere types and KSP curves are another layer of complexity.

Just now, seanth said:

re scaledspace models: no. Seen from the tracking station the planets look like uniform, boring spheres. I'm considering what to do about that.

What if you made a second executable in some other language (C++?) that runs every time the galaxy generator generates a planet, it could use code from the Kittopiatech mod to generate scaled materials for each planet, one-by-one. Of course, it would drastically slow down the generation process, but that would give you the opportunity to add a nifty progress bar. ;)

17 hours ago, daniel l. said:

What if you made a second executable in some other language (C++?) that runs every time the galaxy generator generates a planet, it could use code from the Kittopiatech mod to generate scaled materials for each planet, one-by-one. Of course, it would drastically slow down the generation process, but that would give you the opportunity to add a nifty progress bar. ;)

There is this:
https://github.com/StollD/PlanetaryProcessor

As of right now I can't figure out how to use it, but maybe it would do what you're suggesting. It's a good idea (though would be slow for that first galaxy generation)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 12:52 PM, Some random person said:

Question, when will this be updated to KSP 1.5.1?

It's less a question about TBG updating and more a question about Kopernicus updating. Looks like Kopernicus is updated to 1.6.0. After holidays and a gnarly respiratory  illness I'm adding the procedural water-world code and checking to make sure TBG files still work ok with 1.6 

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.