[INDEV] [1.9] To Boldly Go (0.4.1) | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

seanth

What's next?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What should TBG work on next?

• Procedural atmosphere-less worlds (like Moho)
    • Procedural thin atmosphere worlds (like Duna)
    • Procedural ice worlds (like Eeloo)
    • Compatibility with a warpdrive mod

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/17/2020 at 11:08 AM

5 hours ago, Rabblerouser said:

So this won't mess up my current vanilla save?

4 hours ago, Sky The Heck said:

I'm pretty sure that as long as the stock system isn't modified too much, your saves should be fine. So yes, this (Probably!) wont mess up your save.

It's worth a try. But remember to back up your saves!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 7:18 PM, TastyMango said:

The latest Kopernicus (1.7.0-1) seems to be taking issue with TBG.  Version # update perhaps?

I am in the process of finalizing an update, but I didn't see any problems with Kopernicus 1.7.0 and TBG 0.3.1.2.

Can you elaborate on the problems you are seeing?

Dearest Cugi,

I hope you are well, and I apologize for my extended silence. Things have been very busy for me, but I have not been lax!

Today, I wanted to let you know that I have begun implementing the improvements to TBG that you requested. As requested, I have:

• Altered the number and types of stars. Now when you auto-generate a universe you should get a max of ~100 stars
  • Procedural water worlds have more variety and are generally better. You should definitely bring a boat when visiting them, though. Related to this, Laythe will no longer appear in the universe except in the original Kerbol system.
  • I know it comes as a disappointment, but moon generation is still disabled. This is for two reasons: 1.) water moons in liquid water zones are still not working correctly and 2.) I'm struggling to find the right balance between universe size and processor power. More on that in a bit.
  • The big news is that I have added compatibility with Environmental Visual Enhancements (EVE) & Stock Visual Enhancements (SVE). Functionally what this does is that it adds clouds to water worlds.

Let's talk about that.

The way KSP works, there are essentially two ways to view planets. The first is "scaled space" so named because the size of the Kerbal universe is scaled down. The way planets appear in scaled space is a static image of the planet surface wrapped on the frame of the planet (in most cases a spheroid).

Unfortunately, when generating 100% procedural planets, there is no static image: the terrain of the planet is generated when KSP is loading, and the stock game has no means of outputting the necessary scaled space image files.

When seen from map view, procedural water worlds made by TBG are just boring blue balls. A ship in orbit will see the procedural terrain, however.

As an example, take the following image:

-pZ8wAt2ISVPxuJWJVOkfTM1YgeS-0uqDcwitgak

The overall image is broken into four quadrants. The upper left shows four different procedural water worlds as seen from the map view. The lower left shows what those worlds look like as a craft is descending through the atmosphere.

To hide the sins of the boring scaled space appearances, EVE and SVE can cloak the worlds in clouds (upper right and lower right of the image). Using EVE and SVE comes at a cost, of course: it requires a more robust processor in your computer.

I have some ideas on ways to generate the images needed for scaled space, but that is for another day.

That's all, really. I have more things that are done and ready to be unveiled, but I would rather wait to talk about them.

Yours in testing,

-me

Edited by seanth

• 5 weeks later...

Most of the galaxies i create with the lastest version (Tripplehorn) won't load. When the loading bar is full, it just freezes and the program dosent respond. Is there anything i can do to fix it?

The mod seems awesome btw :cool:

Edited by jaygames82
i wanted to add precision

19 hours ago, jaygames82 said:

Most of the galaxies i create with the lastest version (Tripplehorn) won't load. When the loading bar is full, it just freezes and the program dosent respond. Is there anything i can do to fix it?

It could be that the stars and galaxies are being generated. Unfortunately, there is no loading screen feedback when that is happening. If you look in Kerbal Space Program/GameData/Kopernicus/Cache, you should see the number of files increasing while KSP is apparently frozen.

If the number of files is increasing over time, all I can suggest it that you cultivate patience. Take pity on the people from the old days that would start their computer and then go make a cup of tea while it started up.

Let me know whether things work?

On 6/27/2019 at 2:38 PM, jaygames82 said:

You have to wait until Kopernicus generates cache files for all the objects in the galaxy.

Dearest Cugi,

The latest update to TBG—0.3.9—is ready for you to look over. This version officially includes procedural EVE-like worlds. This means that the stock planet Eve will not show up in orbit around new stars, but it will continue to appear in the stock Kerbol system. 

Here’s some eye candy:

d9w8SGoTe7QRkxqnriZCwOW49gZC2EsM3zLSQzAZ_bas0IEh_EPb78iTnKDTnipMpskBeFEvEE1BxIpOhi0Zty5ACxAKLgUCqxh4EOAlMXOSO541sxZ1Jkwqb5p0docTzsgXzHqAgWANRXNtSlTXDxRcgYBmkcjkM1L-mcQoKOHV15MtQe7Rk9-98csX926ewEd8OwdjeN33h1n974S0Gkf8bEFmKljqiitCJ-7VLUI8b2hLJw0XhkleM6ZVzA_4fkf40NjhaQx-Tzb-x-cvx5soZvOBmytxqJMoMmw8WFOh_zH25H1U70h0CdNM0ecA_orHUnLEqUL-M77LZfPH9Izx7w3Fhxj_C9W2rgs-PNjckplNOOTbI70ELQ5sxS25uBv5yi15O2admQRS4sacmufojHRZh5LcuDD3S124VYZQ6vKkexGzXcqg_llZb8HraF6IRn9tVLemb1Ki7MYb-NcamX4yjBZDu7Jpzi_Yng7bNfk7Lt-qa8A2RfSmdCGbuIG8OTFMIar1fRU18w7oAw1kgSx2mYMl690I6FbtVunxdvjQwBIytNxM5jI4fq9PyhFdPPSUx94LPuUQZ0EhwtrE9xxvtuycO37Fkgk9O_X_j6fYjXJ-5_p8PBX6ssckd8CB-6aAD2oIo_PmRZKqQUc-dtQckKQ=w1550-h1522-no

kOH5Zj5oD6qmlIQ0c8eVwyU2X8IZWqBQiPjnYeEYv59YWvktJ3wvJubn_s3YGcZjwa_BEw-hBBZOwCie-TopKJeNvkIxEXKDK4XY9GrPPa6kaglOEI_97EqdCEIhOat2lplEif8ATnTing0rYtVc3k4K2xwDxN3BBKGnODP7E7VvUHJpgeEoIfA2EKizLDvHiW0ckn_064_nx_QJ9jhhbCBZmdMKd9WnigbpJ58H0WqVGOlQ7_dTfCtbK0Qn4_zR7mVmdJAlP8iRW8JDMPOlAMGLFdh2Nuf3lkBK9PqaS0QgWhTTjLptuh5CvkizpGU4oGclbSpxcyvkzEKoR4l-DFoOi3XqvvhO9uCA2nAVPZwbRePmHKtZgyP0cyDTnFPTbFySUTj2iO8OV9hyD3wkC2BclzW1kqnB0n0I4HkXJ8nyz11ihZZZTwJxHRcR-3q_2nr4IjlB9vfJq-r4a4JDZGbMu35h6kMvrK2o-5WvN9DbaEhkL646qj8qgGzBDTiDoinXUAbpMTOWYLFVmccXJhIVvlJ_o7O2Cgh2iPvw-Mtf6whAediz4jkj0-o8Cpsy8J9RD0i0cdk1DSvRYYr0Ax8Yqe3YT_xqcEhkaWra-IHvIOn07KDEXobeBDxLWD8etSLPheoV5XNMGGvPQxcv0YzC5E52Alo=w2484-h1424-no

oVNDovV5-ytRKgksbRBy__RdwElAZYTOqPtx5YDMlViPMTSZyjRPPw229XKv8ZkUP6MJzQ02Rmf6sgsTUGICq8ALSbN2zi2PtcBHFu2-wx0oaL5Q1J-SdEgLCI3_TPa4A0mRrMkQ0-dxna4bh9F9K-TDthl_MlAAMd3RAHnzm8PhhVm4Ncorjr0XL7GxONjkGdNFj_dpHFHCaDbApOmJrRp6YR_X-wJ-fbiox4z3lsmNwXUPyKwXz-8_vpGPsP6IFco0l5Q_F6dJ02X0rSr3j-mJfEdIrQzcifMsVtJxfihvb4Opgb9XpIk_nVqY9L_sIpZ9PHA3JPBPwVqeYVmk7HR8lk8Ru7XAza1WY2OFzPbAUUxozvH0cXVCWlOeOJxPuFKrO7hWY8vs-zSBfhaE5j1I1NZxNlAWU3b29SOk_xmwY2QumF98JPuonUinMMXMYTBdN5dDVv2RcmCY4_a9C3RU1Nm_F9-yzSmAh53OAUHJ57eYCKocO2bdaKbAxJiqXmTs5ScZqXZcVMqQHenw2PDBpd2CPgd_pxWpq_HU5UyfBd4YNMvYW8cYxYGvI-OwK6qRJOE4bb6F5cx9M6THxqYgMxWBTQGaheYFk2OoPNVZfhLcQNes3XInUkl_BMgk7GI8jbHnsgFrEXCHxLUisFwZJDo1ARI=w2484-h1424-no

N-0lJhEyW6aN7u6ypt4l6hcPT_rn2cdqvJpSgayxWU8nIcN7L0TkpjUwvZ4KEe4N58qEb18Q8_Kbh6QVezFuBU8V-3s4BOJrssqdF-xh-KNOMvBnbG55NcyE9b-QVrVa2eEVsPDKIBW2owsGb_Xp0Aw85T-NWiLCEDXoinhgRg0n6MGhndXqkI2-x8jwo9Pz5JLRFPNzQfbiMKysBfeH1Y8VTW65R9lDI_g8ClAkSGiv5vT8sWIbgLzLTa6Z4oXVJowLXx-lW17Y6OGIfv1yjBPs6mb0Hj0xB3zB-e2ZluGgHqrKuIcjl73b5_Tdq3_eEA0zfD17hlFlBtOYzdBWSojX8jHx7Cfejm1N8DIGt3oXn_f6-uc2ZERTbn5qM3CxSJ77qR48-9UnCcwKsa_k1vQNRvPptc9UKPgfDuww2DoZwN34BUN-0SaP5LedV-y98QjMUSvfd5rbaTwZjQNZMd4dnczfNjR7ftkiOj2w-5ZPVoWTx5Ts3-K34BzjYeEu4JFqEUh2Xx5gd5dKwT99Mr-YIal1ylOW3zCXMhOax_h4RAKwaSw3IH2n5HXrCEmcQL0hKZHGjxYw_Xht4Y44_XWHjSloABoo9U_2XhF491fzejo8ZdNE1J2k093NemiWGubtUAQgdktYdLQHbCLflaxhWgaqyX8=w840-h1522-no

As with the 0.3.8 “water worlds” update, TBG generates a file that can be used with the Environmental Enhancements mod to provide cloudy skies. The limitation of procedural worlds and “scaled space” that I mentioned in the “water worlds” update is still an issue…but those clouds hide the problem.

Unlike worlds with a liquid water surface, there isn’t a lot of guidance on where Eve-like worlds might be, largely because it’s unclear what analog we have for Eve-like worlds. It’s sort of Venus-like, but it’s also sort-or Titan-like.

Rather than go down a rabbit-hole of what Eve’s atmosphere and surface liquid is, I took the easy way out and said that Eve-like planets can be found between:

Inner distance from star = 0.7 * (mass of star^1.5)
Outer distance from star = 0.95 * (mass of star^1.5)

Those equations are simplifications of things, but the important thing is that the outer distance at which Eve-like planets can be found is the inner distance at which liquid-water planets will be found.

There are also some rules about the total number of Eve-like planets, and some probability thrown on top of all that.

In the galaxy file that is provided with 0.3.9, there are 573 planets, 22 of which are Eve-like. As a comparison, there are 66 water worlds.

Change log for 0.3.9:

• Procedural Eve-like worlds
  • EVE will no longer appear in the universe except in the Kerbol system
  • Moon generation is still disabled
  • Continued compatability with:
  •      -ResearchBodies
  •      -EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements & StockVisualEnhancements (clouds for procedural water and Eve worlds)
  • Keep an eye out for easter eggs on water and Eve worlds

Procedural generated worlds is a huge leap forward !

I guess the next generated worlds based on planet size and star distance are dry/no atmosphere rocky worlds 'Moho', dry/with atmosphere 'Duna'',  Kerbin worlds (with possible life), icy worlds,  large gas worlds -with our without a core you can land on (and stranded on),  Mun type moons, and small potato moons. Planets colors based on random soil type resources. This and fixing small problems like lighting and compatibility with other mods is all I can think of for now.

I totally appreciate the continued development!

11 hours ago, enewmen said:

Procedural generated worlds is a huge leap forward !

I guess the next generated worlds based on planet size and star distance are dry/no atmosphere rocky worlds 'Moho', dry/with atmosphere 'Duna'',  Kerbin worlds (with possible life), icy worlds,  large gas worlds -with our without a core you can land on (and stranded on),  Mun type moons, and small potato moons. Planets colors based on random soil type resources. This and fixing small problems like lighting and compatibility with other mods is all I can think of for now.

I totally appreciate the continued development!

I'm pretty pleased with the procedural planets. I am _not_ someone that messes with making Kopernicus planets, so I am sure there is room for improvement in how TBG generates things. I was thinking it might be cool to have people post images of procedural planets they discover that look cool, along with the seed they used so I can get a better idea of what values TBG is using that result in the best looking planets. Crowd sourced neural net :)

Before I move on to rocky planets, I have one more liquid world that's ready to be announced. That will show up soon. After that's done, I'll probably post a survey to see what people would like to see work on: procedural rocky worlds, moons, warp drive, something else?

What small problems are you seeing with lighting? I might be able to expedite work on that.

What compatibility with other mods would you like to see? I have plans for integrating compatibility with Kethane, but what are people interested in?  

5 hours ago, seanth said:

I'm pretty pleased with the procedural planets. I am _not_ someone that messes with making Kopernicus planets, so I am sure there is room for improvement in how TBG generates things. I was thinking it might be cool to have people post images of procedural planets they discover that look cool, along with the seed they used so I can get a better idea of what values TBG is using that result in the best looking planets. Crowd sourced neural net :)

Before I move on to rocky planets, I have one more liquid world that's ready to be announced. That will show up soon. After that's done, I'll probably post a survey to see what people would like to see work on: procedural rocky worlds, moons, warp drive, something else?

What small problems are you seeing with lighting? I might be able to expedite work on that.

What compatibility with other mods would you like to see? I have plans for integrating compatibility with Kethane, but what are people interested in?   

I didn't actually play TBG for a few months, so I need to get the newest version and check it out.  The lighting problems was sometimes stars (even Kerbol) where way too bright. Maybe this is already fixed.  The only mod compatibility I'm thinking of is getting EVE and Scatterer working on all planets.  Also please check with major mods that fill the community tech tree (Interstellar Extended, Near Future, USI, etc)-I think they already work .  There has also been some MOD ideas for alien life - microbes, small plants & bugs, fossils, etc.  Finding this will give huge science data.  Just more things to find on other star systems than dead planets.- just being forward thinking.

I can post some cool procedural EVE  planets with the seed.   What I will like to see worked on next is rocky worlds and moons, then dry-atmosphere, icy, gas giant, small potato moons, etc.  I think the mods Interstellar extended and USI already have warp-drive.  For water worlds, there needs to be some missions to give a reason to land. Such as collect water sample,  recover part 'K' floating on the surface of water world, or record the temperature at this 'XYZ'  location 200m underwater. I've personally made these kinds of missions.

• 1 month later...

update: a complete reinstall of KSP, Kopernicus, and TBG did not resolve the issue.

Has anyone had troubles with To Boldy Go and Interstellar? I'm having an issue where focusing on another star in map view causes my vessel to rapidly overheat and explode-- even in timewarp. At one point it even listed every part of the vessel as having a temperature of infinity!

I'm guessing its KSP-I since that plays around with how heat works, and it seems to also be linked to the lightsource switching somehow, but I'm still trying to nail down the cause of this bug.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

After quite a bit of troubleshooting I've found it still occurs with only kopernicus and TBG. This might be a kopernicus problem, but I'm sort of out of ideas other than completely reinstalling KSP.

Essentially, zooming out  in map view under certain circumstances (I believe specifically when the game shifts light sources?) causes the vessel to rapidly overheat and explode. I think this might have to do with it assuming that the other light sources- ie, from a blue giant- are in the place of kerbol, and with kerbin's distance from kerbol that places the vessel in range for heating problems. Not sure why i sometimes get infinity for heating-- maybe that has to do with the galactic core. 

Edited by nubeees
Tested a total reinstall

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 6:42 PM, enewmen said:

I didn't actually play TBG for a few months, so I need to get the newest version and check it out.  The lighting problems was sometimes stars (even Kerbol) where way too bright. Maybe this is already fixed.  The only mod compatibility I'm thinking of is getting EVE and Scatterer working on all planets.  Also please check with major mods that fill the community tech tree (Interstellar Extended, Near Future, USI, etc)-I think they already work .  There has also been some MOD ideas for alien life - microbes, small plants & bugs, fossils, etc.  Finding this will give huge science data.  Just more things to find on other star systems than dead planets.- just being forward thinking.

I can post some cool procedural EVE  planets with the seed.   What I will like to see worked on next is rocky worlds and moons, then dry-atmosphere, icy, gas giant, small potato moons, etc.  I think the mods Interstellar extended and USI already have warp-drive.  For water worlds, there needs to be some missions to give a reason to land. Such as collect water sample,  recover part 'K' floating on the surface of water world, or record the temperature at this 'XYZ'  location 200m underwater. I've personally made these kinds of missions.

I'd be happy to include a TBG mission pack, but am uninterested in working on one right now. If you'd like to make missions, I'd be thrilled to include them.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:31 PM, nubeees said:

update: a complete reinstall of KSP, Kopernicus, and TBG did not resolve the issue.

Has anyone had troubles with To Boldy Go and Interstellar? I'm having an issue where focusing on another star in map view causes my vessel to rapidly overheat and explode-- even in timewarp. At one point it even listed every part of the vessel as having a temperature of infinity!

I'm guessing its KSP-I since that plays around with how heat works, and it seems to also be linked to the lightsource switching somehow, but I'm still trying to nail down the cause of this bug.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

After quite a bit of troubleshooting I've found it still occurs with only kopernicus and TBG. This might be a kopernicus problem, but I'm sort of out of ideas other than completely reinstalling KSP.

Essentially, zooming out  in map view under certain circumstances (I believe specifically when the game shifts light sources?) causes the vessel to rapidly overheat and explode. I think this might have to do with it assuming that the other light sources- ie, from a blue giant- are in the place of kerbol, and with kerbin's distance from kerbol that places the vessel in range for heating problems. Not sure why i sometimes get infinity for heating-- maybe that has to do with the galactic core. 

I have experienced this, too. It is, I think, a Kopernicus bug. I would report it to them.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:57 PM, 6nop6nop said:

how can i fix this?

TBG should generate a txt file named something like "Galaxygen_Info-[name].txt"

What version does it say? It looks like you are using an old version of TBG, but I'm not sure

5 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

No i am using the one that comes with TBG.

Without more info I can't troubleshoot this. If it's literally saying Kopernicus can't load, that is not a TBG issue, but if it's saying it can't load a certain body, that's different. These are the steps I would take:

• Make sure you are using the latest version of Kopernicus
  • Make sure you are using Module Manager 4.0.3
  • Make sure you are using the latest TBG (0.3.9)
  • Remove ALL mods except Module Manager and Kopernicus
  • If KSP loads OK, with just Module Manager and Kopernicus, add in TBG and try and launch
  • If KSP fails to load with just Module Manager, Kopernicus, and TBG as mods, the problem is definitely with the galaxy made by TBG and I need to figure out what is wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.