Mountain lake landing challenge

21 hours ago, funk said:

If you're into building planes maybe you @hoiohor anyone else can explain to me why all the wheels are going bonkers while braking without SAS activated. I cannot remember when it was that hard to keep the craft straight.

It's beyond me to fly without SAS control in the first place, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. I mean I build pretty stable planes, but I can't be arsed to constantly correct them in flight, I'm more of a fire and forget kind of guy, so SAS is a must. I also regurlay fly with mechjeb controls for precise direction and pitch control and to have the ability to go get a cup of coffee while it flies itsself over to wherever I wanted to go for my acrobatic stunts.

If I had to guess though, I would recommend to raise the braking power on the rear wheels and lower it on the front wheels so that the collective of rear wheels has more braking force than the collective of front wheels. Particularly with a craft that has only a single tail wheel, I would turn that up to 200 and drop the force on the front wheel to below 150 collectively and see if that helped.

It's like really hard braking on the front wheel of a bicycle, I mean, just don't.

23 hours ago, funk said:

If you're into building planes maybe you @hoiohor anyone else can explain to me why all the wheels are going bonkers while braking without SAS activated. I cannot remember when it was that hard to keep the craft straight.

I was having real problems on takeoff with the a similar issue, as well as landing (even with SAS).  What I do now is manually set the wheel friction. For my really light little aircraft I set it at zero or .1 on the front wheel, and then I set the friction higher on the rear wheels.  I still sometimes spin out, but I think some of that is just the wheel positioning on my flying wing.

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

I was having real problems on takeoff with the a similar issue, as well as landing (even with SAS).  What I do now is manually set the wheel friction. For my really light little aircraft I set it at zero or .1 on the front wheel, and then I set the friction higher on the rear wheels.  I still sometimes spin out, but I think some of that is just the wheel positioning on my flying wing.

That works a bit. Also try to keep your rear on the runway. If it lifts when the front is still down, you'll spin out.

1 hour ago, beomagi said:

That works a bit. Also try to keep your rear on the runway. If it lifts when the front is still down, you'll spin out.

Not necessarily. My flying wing sits on its front wheel and lifts off fine. Granted, without SAS it veers sideways, but with SAS on, I can power it up and do nothing else.  It was discovering it would do that (sheer luck, not building skill) that prompted me to experiment with one-wheeled aircraft.  

On the video: first takeoff is the flying wing with SAS on, 2nd is off, and third is one of my one-wheeled suicide machines. Easy to take off, very difficult to land, though I did manage it once.

@hoioh@Klapaucius@beomagi

Thank you all for your hints. It led me to some thinking.

My conclusion is, that the weird behaviour has to do with the shifting of COM. During lift-off your COM is shifting backwards, due to thrust and usually a slight positive AoA. As a result you get more g-force on your rear landing legs, which is good (beomagi).

The opposite happens while braking and that's what causes my craft to go left and right. I'll test a bit and see if there is anything I can do to prevent this.

I did want to have a look at this a few days ago, so I just loaded the stock Aeris A3 and took it there for a try.

Have set all control surfaces to max and activated reverse thrust. 

Surprisingly it landed on first try :D and it could also takeoff. (with verry low fuel)

29 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

@Klapaucius! Hi, here is a patch for your challenge!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

29igrl.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

29igrl.jpg

-------------------------------

Your welcome!

That's awesome!

9 hours ago, cratercracker said:

You can put your badge in your signature! (Account Settings -> Signature -> profit )

I've never done this before. I tried to put it in my signature and wound up a huge image.  How do you resize them?

12 hours ago, cratercracker said:

Double left mouse click.

That's good information! up until now I've been using photoshop to resize them, put them back on imgur and link them in. This is much easier!

That's an interesting challenge! But i have a few questions: can you point your plane into the sky and land into the lake vertically like Elon Musks rocket, or it should be a horizontal landing? And for the seaplane part: can you use any plane that can takeoff from water, even if it wasn't built for this?

I think my fighter jet can make this... i think.

Edited by SpaceKraken

Well, let's hope i did everything correctly. (Please use the link below, imgur album doesn't work for some reason)

https://imgur.com/a/buGqdEx

P.S. I used Kramax Autopilot to reach the lake. Cheat mods like HyperEdit or VesselMover were not used. Also, i had to use quicksave, because at my first attempt nose cone was destroyed during the landing. Don't worry - the plane can take off from here even with maximum fuel. I tested it.

You can download the plane from KerbalX website

Edited by SpaceKraken
can't make the imgur album work. use the link

6 hours ago, SpaceKraken said:

That's an interesting challenge! But i have a few questions: can you point your plane into the sky and land into the lake vertically like Elon Musks rocket, or it should be a horizontal landing? And for the seaplane part: can you use any plane that can takeoff from water, even if it wasn't built for this?

I think my fighter jet can make this... i think.

5 hours ago, SpaceKraken said:

Well, let's hope i did everything correctly. (Please use the link below, imgur album doesn't work for some reason)

https://imgur.com/a/buGqdEx

P.S. I used Kramax Autopilot to reach the lake. Cheat mods like HyperEdit or VesselMover were not used. Also, i had to use quicksave, because at my first attempt nose cone was destroyed during the landing. Don't worry - the plane can take off from here even with maximum fuel. I tested it.

You can download the plane from KerbalX website

Vertically landing, no, that falls under VTOL, but what you did was fine.  And if it floats and takes off from water, it is a seaplane in my book :-)

As for saves, it took me like 13 tries :D so that is totally legit.

I imagine that was a cold swim.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.