Mountain lake landing challenge

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Yes there is. @cratercracker made a nice one. You will find it about halfway down on page 2 of this thread.  I don't have one for part II yet, however.  I've been relearning Illustrator, and it has been on my to-do list, but if you have an idea, go for it!

Oh ok. I thought I had read this whole thread already, but apparently I haven't. Anyway, yeah I'll see what I can cook up.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

@AeroGav

I was just thinking of your run. How hard would it me to make that plane submersible?  I think this challenge here might be right up your alley?  Same for you, @sturmhauke. Using a lifter might me an interesting alternative solution, if you can put a rocket engine on that sub.

Far too many buoyant parts,   i think the only things on this airplane that sink after a crash are the NERVs - and often they break away from the airplane on a crash landing with the drag reducing nose cone and NCS adapter still attached   - in which case those 3 ton slugs of Uranium and Lead defy logic by floating...

1 minute ago, AeroGav said:

Far too many buoyant parts,   i think the only things on this airplane that sink after a crash are the NERVs - and often they break away from the airplane on a crash landing with the drag reducing nose cone and NCS adapter still attached   - in which case those 3 ton slugs of Uranium and Lead defy logic by floating...

True that. But I reckon if anyone could pull it off with another design, it might be you.  It's a great challenge.

57 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Same for you, @sturmhauke. Using a lifter might me an interesting alternative solution, if you can put a rocket engine on that sub.

Right, I keep getting distracted from challenges by other challenges. I'm about to launch a space telescope for the STS series, but maybe I'll tackle this one next.

• 1 month later...

A couple of months have passed since the last entry, so I'm not sure if this is necroposting or the challenge is still going on.

Anyway this is my attempt at it with a STOL seaplane, no reaction wheels, just Jeb holding the stick ;) 

1 hour ago, Ozelui said:

A couple of months have passed since the last entry, so I'm not sure if this is necroposting or the challenge is still going on.

Anyway this is my attempt at it with a STOL seaplane, no reaction wheels, just Jeb holding the stick ;) 

My challenges never expire. :cool:

That's impressive flying of an impressive plane.

Here's my entry! (many images below)

Spoiler

I wanted to try and land my KB-50 bizjet in the lake, because it's a design I'm particularly proud of and I thought it was up to the challenge.

PBcVB8j.jpg

The approach into the lake was quite steep... I didn't think to approach via the neighbouring valley, instead basically plummeting downwards towards the lake.

bQPBNe9.jpg

The trickiest part was keeping my speed down, which I accomplished with the thrust reversers. 

nb3goCw.jpg

I didn't get the landing as a screenshot, but I narrowly missed the cliffside. A sharp turn towards the middle of the lake bled enough speed for me to put the jet down and (unexpectedly) not lose any parts in the process! 

v79kouW.jpg

Here's a candid photo of Jeb, Bob, and Valentina enjoying some R&R out on the wing. I did bring five more Kerbals, but they expressed some reservations about tentacled monsters in the lake. 

4Yy550f.jpg

The ascent back out of the lake was quite intense. The jet built up just enough energy to take off, then start a vertical climb before hitting the cliffside, using the entire length of the lake while doing so.

Su0GqGt.jpg

And here we are, after making it out of the lake! I really enjoyed this challenge, I might try it with something bigger next time!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.