[1.3.x, 1.4.x, 1.5.x, 1.6, 1.7] MechJeb and Engineer And kOS forAll

15 hours ago, marioq70 said:

Seems is not needed anymore, Mechjeb and Engineer Redux on its own are available on all pods.

This is excellent news to me; I've frozen my installation to 1.7.3 waiting on just one or two more mods. Where did you learn about this, and how does it work? Thanks!

8 hours ago, fhmiv said:

This is excellent news to me; I've frozen my installation to 1.7.3 waiting on just one or two more mods. Where did you learn about this, and how does it work? Thanks!

Well, i uninstalled all my mods and installing the updated ones, when MechJeb was updated i installed it and i was thinking if Mechjeb and Engineer Redux for All was already updated, but i noticed in game that all pods have already MechJeb without the need of the control part, son Mechjeb and Engineer Redux for all was not needed any more.

18 hours ago, fhmiv said:

There's a config file in MechJeb2\Parts that adds MJ to command pods. If you want all MJ tech unlocked at the start, you can add an empty folder to GameData named "MechJebUnlocked", as detailed here.

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed some errors with it on my new 1.8.1 install.  I've never see these before.

[ERR 15:22:08.101] name specifier detected on insert node (not a patch): MechJebForAll/MechJebAndEngineerForAll/start@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[MechJeb2]:Final
[ERR 15:22:08.101] :HAS detected on insert node (not a patch): MechJebForAll/MechJebAndEngineerForAll/start@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[MechJeb2]:Final
[ERR 15:22:08.101] pass specifier detected on insert node (not a patch): MechJebForAll/MechJebAndEngineerForAll/start@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[MechJeb2]:Final

I do have the latest MechJeb installed.  It's not stopping play but the MM does report it during loading screens.  FYI - let me know if you want more info to track it down.:)

• 7 months later...
On 10/23/2019 at 1:30 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

This is only a MM patch, nothing to optimize

I'd like to see this updated to show as 1.9 in CKAN so that I can remove "1.6" and "1.7" from the list of compatible mods without having this one disappear from the list. So far it seems like this mod works perfectly so it should be possible to just update it to say "any" version really and never need to update its version number again. I have no idea how that works though, as I tried to look at other people's mod versions and I don't quite understand how this all works.

Anyway, I was just hoping you'd update the version information so CKAN will let me see it without having to keep 1.7 checked anymore.

In discord this was what one person said about it;

DasSkelett Today at 6:38 AM
You dound an interesting edge case of how CKAN handles combining compatibility infomation from different sources @Vas.
If a mod is hosted on SpaceDock and has a version file, CKAN takes the lower KSP version from them as min version and the higher one as max version.
In this case it means it takes the min version from the version file (1.3.0), and takes the KSP version listed on SpaceDock as max version, since the version file is missing KSP_VERSION_MAX.
So in this case to get CKAN to show 1.9.1 as compatible, the version on SpaceDock has to be changed.

34 minutes ago, Vas said:

I'd like to see this updated to show as 1.9 in CKAN so that I can remove "1.6" and "1.7" from the list of compatible mods without having this one disappear from the list. So far it seems like this mod works perfectly so it should be possible to just update it to say "any" version really and never need to update its version number again. I have no idea how that works though, as I tried to look at other people's mod versions and I don't quite understand how this all works.

Anyway, I was just hoping you'd update the version information so CKAN will let me see it without having to keep 1.7 checked anymore.

In discord this was what one person said about it;

Just uncheck them after you install this mod nothing is stopping you from doing that.  CKAN doesn't uninstall anything.  I have a 1.3 mod I installed with CKAN on 1.9.1 and just have compatibility checked for 1.8 and 1.9.  The patch itself hasn't changed in ages and the MechJeb part is obsolete as that functionality is now part of MechJeb by default.

1 minute ago, Tonka Crash said:

Just uncheck them after you install this mod nothing is stopping you from doing that.  CKAN doesn't uninstall anything.  I have a 1.3 mod I installed with CKAN on 1.9.1 and just have compatibility checked for 1.8 and 1.9.  The patch itself hasn't changed in ages and the MechJeb part is obsolete as that functionality is now part of MechJeb by default.

Ah, so I don't actually need the mod anymore?

1 minute ago, Vas said:

Ah, so I don't actually need the mod anymore?

"MechJeb For All" functionality is built into the MechJeb mod.

"Kerbal Engineer For All" isn't. I copied the patch to my personal patch folder and quit using this mod.

Don't know about kOS as I don't use it.

Just now, Tonka Crash said:

"MechJeb For All" functionality is built into the MechJeb mod.

"Kerbal Engineer For All" isn't. I copied the patch to my personal patch folder and quit using this mod.

Don't know about kOS as I don't use it.

Alright, thank you, I'll go ahead and remove this mod then so I can drop 1.6 off the list without worry. I know it doesn't uninstall the mods, its just hard to see when you sort by compatible and CKAN neglects to show mods that are older than your compatible selection when installed, on the "compatible" tab. I like to scroll through the list of compatible mods on occasion.

• 5 months later...
14 hours ago, eberkain said:

this causes kOS to have duplicate processors on a single part, it needs a check in the patch so it only applies the KOSProcessor module to parts that do not already have the module. 

So, could you test this patch?

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[kOSProcessor]]:NEEDS[kOS]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = kOSProcessor
	}
}

If that doesnt work, try this one:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand]]:NEEDS[kOS]:Final
{
    MODULE
    {
        %name = kOSProcessor
	}
}

grrr... that one bracet wont tab to the proper position in the post :(

Also, mae sure to delete the included copy of MiniAVC.dll, if you havent already... MiniAVC is broen since, IIRC, KSP 1.8.0, and should be removed for all subsequent KSP versions

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 3:01 AM, IntoSpaceAgain said:

There's a config file in MechJeb2\Parts that adds MJ to command pods. If you want all MJ tech unlocked at the start, you can add an empty folder to GameData named "MechJebUnlocked", as detailed here.

Note that this feature in MechJeb still requires ModuleManager to also be installed, but it isn't a dependency of MechJeb.  So if it doesn't seem to be working make sure MM is installed as well.  Also as noted in that commit even with the magic MechJebUnlocked folder some features require upgrades to get maneuver nodes.

• 1 month later...

I threw some things against the wall to see what sticks.

This is what I ended up with, for a kOS for all patch:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],@MODULE[ModuleSAS]:HAS[#SASServiceLevel[3]],!MODULE[kOSProcessor]]:NEEDS[kOS]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = kOSProcessor
		diskSpace = 256000
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],@MODULE[ModuleSAS]:HAS[#SASServiceLevel[2]],!MODULE[kOSProcessor]]:NEEDS[kOS]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = kOSProcessor
		diskSpace = 64000
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],@MODULE[ModuleSAS]:HAS[#SASServiceLevel[1]],!MODULE[kOSProcessor]]:NEEDS[kOS]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = kOSProcessor
		diskSpace = 16000
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],@MODULE[ModuleSAS]:HAS[#SASServiceLevel[0]],!MODULE[kOSProcessor]]:NEEDS[kOS]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = kOSProcessor
		diskSpace = 4000
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],@MODULE[ModuleSAS],!MODULE[kOSProcessor]]:NEEDS[kOS]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = kOSProcessor
		diskSpace = 4000
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],!MODULE[ModuleSAS],!MODULE[kOSProcessor]]:NEEDS[kOS]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = kOSProcessor
		diskSpace = 1024
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],@MODULE[ModuleCommand]:HAS[#minimumCrew[0]],!MODULE[kOSProcessor]]:NEEDS[kOS]:Final
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = kOSProcessor
		diskSpace = 1024
	}
}
  • It may have some redundancies, this is literally my first MM patch.
  • Works without errors or warnings in 1.11.0.
  • Disk space is related to SAS level.
  • The order of magnitude of disk space is comparable to that of the original kOS parts, so imho quite balanced. I plotted a graph in a spreadsheet (SAS level vs. disk space) and it doesn't deviate much from the fitted curve.
  • Also, in the VAB/SPH editor you can increase size twice, when at max, you're at the baseline of the next disk space tier. I kinda liked that idea.
  • I was thinking of using powers of two, but imho it's more readable this way. You know, megabytes versus mebibytes. Enough has been written about that elsewhere. I just made an exception for 1024.
  • SAS service level 0 doesn't appear to exist as a variable, as someone mentioned earlier. So, as a fallback, if a part has a SAS module but I don't know it's level, then it gets 4K disk space.
  • And then finally, when a command module doesn't have any SAS at all, it gets a 1KiB disk. Have fun with that! :-p

The resulting disk spaces for some stock parts:

• 1KiB
    • Probodobodyne Stayputnik (has no SAS)
  • 4KB
    • Probodobodyne OKTO
    • Probodobodyne QBE
    • Probodobodyne RoveMate
  • 16KB
    • Probodobodyne HECS
  • 64KB
    • MTM Stage
    • Probodobodyne OKTO2
  • 265KB
    • Mk2 Drone Core
    • MPO Probe
    • Probodobodyne HECS2
    • RC-001S Remote Guidance Unit
    • RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit

There is also a mod out there called No Crew Requirement Continued, which simply adds a level 0 SAS to all manned command pods and sets the minimumCrew to 0 for all command pods that have a crew capacity > 0. I have tested with this mod, and I am happy to report that, next to a level 0 SAS (only stability assist), all command pods now also have a 4KB kOS disk. That should be enough for those missions where you have to rescue a kerbal stranded in orbit.

Edited by Amedee

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

So I just got back into KSP after many years. Now from what I read above, MechJeb has this in it now as default, is that correct?

What about Engineer Redux?

Hi !

for mechjeb : you can create an empty directory inside gamedata called MechJebUnlocked

for Engineer Redux, check the option in the game (in the vab for example) and configure it to be partless.

Hope it helps you.

1 hour ago, LTQ90 said:

Hi !

for mechjeb : you can create an empty directory inside gamedata called MechJebUnlocked

for Engineer Redux, check the option in the game (in the vab for example) and configure it to be partless.

Hope it helps you.

I did a test in sandbox mode and MJ and Engineer was on my rocket when I launched without doing what you said or adding any part.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, JediRangerkendor said:

Real stupid question here, but just to be clear, does this add Mechjeb to the game WITHOUT the need for the MechJeb mod, or do I need to download that as well?

You still need to install the MechJeb mod. This just removes the need to add the specific part to your craft.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually, you dont really need this anymore, I believe it's now automatic

Ah, I've had this mod installed for so long I didn't realize that. Thanks for the correction!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.