[1.3.x, 1.4.x, 1.5.x, 1.6, 1.7] MechJeb and Engineer And kOS forAll

635385888895325423.png

Back in 2014, forum user @nadseh wrote a little  ModuleManager script to add MechJeb and Kerbal Engineer to any vessel with a command pod.  It hasn't worked for KER for a while, and he hasn't updated it, so I've adopted it and released an updated version.  The original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/75295-0235-mechjeb-and-engineer-for-all/

This now adds kOS to all, if you are using kOS

Note that the KER functionality is also available with KER itself, inside the settings.  This just makes it a bit easier.

Dependency

Availability

Also available via CKAN

While the original release just placed the file in the GameData directory, I've repackaged it up into it's own directory, along with a .version file

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Neat-o! This will be fantastic for things like BDA, never could figure out why you'd need an AI flight computer when the Mk2 drone core is canonically run by artificial intelligence

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, IMLL1 said:

Could you by any chance make one that allows MechJeb use without adding a MechJebCore module to every command part? I find it quite annoying to have to go in and remove the modules by hand after building each craft.

Isn’t adding a that module the whole point of this mod?

3 hours ago, IMLL1 said:

Could you by any chance make one that allows MechJeb use without adding a MechJebCore module to every command part? I find it quite annoying to have to go in and remove the modules by hand after building each craft.

How should this mod work without adding this module??? I think you didn`t understand this mod. It don`t add a part like a mechjebcore to any probecore. It adds a mechjeb-module (Code) to the config of the probecore. So there is nothing to remove ingame.

Edited by Cheesecake

7 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

How should this mod work without adding this module??? I think you didn`t understand this mod. It don`t add a part like a mechjebcore to any probecore. It adds a mechjeb-module (Code) to the config of the probecore. So there is nothing to remove ingame.

MechJebCore is the name of the module. I was thinking maybe something that allows MechJeb to work without a module added to the part's code in the craft file.

10 hours ago, Nightside said:

Isn’t adding a that module the whole point of this mod?

I was thinking that there may be some way to have the MechJeb functions without adding them to the individual parts. Sort of like the way that KER does it. 

MechJebCore is necessary to tell the game that MJ is active on the command pods. That is only achievable in one of two ways: adding MechJebCore through a cfg file, as this mod does; or adding the in-game part to the craft, which then has the MechJebCore module on the ship through that additional part.

Checking the source on @linuxgurugamer's GitHub, it seems that this config also adds KER's BuildEngineer and FlightEngineer modules to the command pods, so I'm not sure why you don't think KER adds a module to the craft files.

1 hour ago, IntoSpaceAgain said:

MechJebCore is necessary to tell the game that MJ is active on the command pods. That is only achievable in one of two ways: adding MechJebCore through a cfg file, as this mod does; or adding the in-game part to the craft, which then has the MechJebCore module on the ship through that additional part.

Checking the source on @linuxgurugamer's GitHub, it seems that this config also adds KER's BuildEngineer and FlightEngineer modules to the command pods, so I'm not sure why you don't think KER adds a module to the craft files.

That is an old patch, it's possible that KER does not need moduls anymore

Here is a old Module Manager code I use, to have just MJ on all command parts, it also unlocks with tech tree also. I thought I would share, for whom ever just wants MJ

//===========================================================//
//    Adds MechJeb to all Command Modules without MJ Parts   //
//===========================================================//
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{    
    MODULE
    {
        name = MechJebCore
        MechJebLocalSettings 
        {
            MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
            MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
            MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
            MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
            MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
            MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
            MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
            MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
            MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
            MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
            MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
            MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
            MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
            MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
            MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
        }
    }
}

Edited by therealcrow999

Linuxgurugamer,

I'm running 1.5.1 and I've downloaded and installed both Mechjebforall from here and Mechjeb2 from https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/154834-15x-anatid-robotics-mumech-mechjeb-autopilot-281-16-october-2018/&.

Starting a new game in Sandbox, I'm correct in believing that a rocket with just a probe core should have full Mechjeb support?  At the moment I only get Mechjeb support if I put the Mechjeb part onto my craft.

Files were unzipped and copied into my GameData folder like I would for any other mod, all files appear to be there correctly.

4 hours ago, Kaervek said:

Nope.  Wasn't aware that this was a required dependency.

3 hours ago, Nightside said:

It is mentioned in the OP, but it isn’t explicitly called out as a dependency. Most folks probably just have it installed for other things already.

I just made it a bit more obvious in the OP

9 hours ago, Nightside said:

It is mentioned in the OP, but it isn’t explicitly called out as a dependency. Most folks probably just have it installed for other things already.

Missed that, sorry.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just made it a bit more obvious in the OP

Thanks Linux.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.