Trouble with contract - rendezvous at Minmus

I'm trying to fulfill one of the missions in the Minmus storyline contract: 
-Rendezvous two vessels in orbit of Minmus
(Have two different vessels in orbit of Minmus within visual range of each other and kill their relative velocity in order to achieve this goal.)
-Return to Kerbin from orbit of Minmus
-Return to Kerbin from a fly by of Minmus

I have held at 0.0m/s relative velocity for over a minute at less than 20 meters distance and this portion of the contract is not marked complete.  The vessel targeted in the picture launched about 40 game days prior to the bigger docked vessel.  (Both docked ships launched at once and would not by themselves qualify for this contract.) 

When I "zeroed out", of course I didn't quite get it to 0.00000, since I'm human.  So I figured maybe going from +0.01 to -0.01 would make the difference, but after reversing the drift it still doesn't work. 

Any ideas? 

[edit:  TinyPic is dead; long live Flickr.  Original link for insanity posterity:  http://i64.tinypic.com/15qoyu0.jpg ]

24 contract fulfillment issues (15qoyu0)

Edited by FinalFan
TinyPic is dead; long live Flickr.

Hmmmm. Do you have anything else at minmus except for those two vessels?

And no, all you have to do is get to less than about 2 m/s relative.

Edited by bewing

Just now, bewing said:

Did both these "vessels" come from the same launch/ship (that you decoupled from each other later)? I'm betting that's your problem, because doing that isn't allowed.

As I said, the smaller one that is targeted in the picture did NOT launch with any other vessel in Minmus's SOI.  The two big ones that are docked are from the same launch.  My understanding is that these would count as one vessel for the purpose of such contracts.  Do you think it's possible that the fact that the two docked ships are from the same launch is somehow messing up the contract logic, even though there is another non-affiliated vessel that they are both rendezvoused with? 

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Was the contract already running when you have started the first vessel? Maybe you have to start both after acepting the contract.

Yes, both vessels (or all three, depending how you count it) predate the contract.  However, contracts with that sort of requirement invariably say "build a new xxx", or words to that effect, don't they? 

Nah. Once they are docked, they are just one vessel. The game doesn't understand that there are actually two vessels docked together there.

A) you might try creating a savegame and reloading it. Sometimes that helps.

B) you might try EVAing one of your kerbals -- the kerbal might trigger the "rendezvous" clause with that other ship.

Which game version is this? Modded or not?

Edited by bewing

7 minutes ago, FinalFan said:

Yes, both vessels (or all three, depending how you count it) predate the contract.  However, contracts with that sort of requirement invariably say "build a new xxx", or words to that effect, don't they?  

Usually, they got a description like this but who knows^^

Is the targeted vessel manned or unmanned? If it is unmanned, does it have a signal back to KSC or an other control point? Afaik, you need to be in control of both vessels, so maybe a probe without signal is not valid?

You should not have to have new ships, or even "ships" per se. I've gotten this contract in tandem with a rescue contract, and I've gotten it on Minmus with a ship I sent there from Mun, that had completed the same rendezvous contract on Mun.

One thing I have NOT tried is to send both of the ships that rendezvoused at Mun to Minmus, but I'd actually be surprised if they didn't complete the contract.

The only restriction I've ever seen is that the two ships should not have launched as one.

34 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Usually, they got a description like this but who knows^^

Is the targeted vessel manned or unmanned? If it is unmanned, does it have a signal back to KSC or an other control point? Afaik, you need to be in control of both vessels, so maybe a probe without signal is not valid?

That is a good idea.  One of the vessels is unmanned, but they both have a 100% connection to KSC and I am in full control of the probe.  The contract doesn't say I need to be in control of the vessels, but I have to "have" them so I wouldn't have been too shocked if your guess was correct. 

From looking online, it seems that the storyline contracts can occasionally bug out, and sometimes when they do you get tons and tons of the reward for it when you return to KSC—perhaps as if it was repeatedly granting you the reward while not ending the contract?  I guess I'll find out if this is one of those cases when these guys get back to KSC

Update:  the lander has landed.  The orbiter, after gaining about 3 m/s relative velocity and about a kilometer of distance, is once again at 0.0 relative velocity to the satellite inside 20 meters.  I have a descending node in 3 minutes that says it will be at 0.0km, 0.0 m/s.  I have an ascending node in 57 minutes that says it will be at 0.0km, 0.0 m/s.  Mission incomplete ;.;

2 hours ago, bewing said:

Hmmmm. Do you have anything else at minmus except for those two vessels?

And no, all you have to do is get to less than about 2 m/s relative.

No, the stuff in the picture is literally everything that I have ever sent to Minmus.  Thanks for the info, though. 

9 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

At this point you should report the bug (with save file) and alt-f12 complete the contract (which will give you the rewards).

It's a three part contract, so I'll do the other two pieces and then override the contract if it doesn't fix itself when my guys return to KSC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.