2001 - A Space Mission Pack - Presented by Shadowzone & Scott Manley

Hullo! Both myself and Shadowzone had the idea to recreate bits of 2001 in playable form, so for the last few weeks I've tried to make precision landing and docking missions based around Space Station V, The Orion Shuttle, The Aries 1B, The Munbus, Klavius Base and TMA-1. While Shadowzone put together a stunning kerbalized version of Discovery One and the maintenance pods. All of these have fully scripted missions with dialogue that references the movie, while letting you actually try landing a nuclear powered shuttle on a small landing pad on the Mun.

Because the vessels are stock there's a lot of compromises made. The Orion is tiny because it needs to fit inside the space station, which makes it smaller than the Mun Bus where the priority was to make it look like the original model. But the ships never share a scene so the scaling isn't noticeable.

Also the space station doesn't spin, maybe a future version of Making History will let us do that.

Download the zipfile here:::

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GBB4pl1rUCV4pjqTwwR7prp1rYWirCMV

eUBqskv.jpg

qjc5pIz.jpg

q08PfwG.jpg

z20a9Qz.jpg

9XqoM2l.jpg

2EIIR84.jpg

Oh my god this looks awesome and made by a rather awesome team... looks without a doubt absolutly well and timeconsuming work...
The depicted crafts look so authentic as they could ever be... wow...:D

Going to dl this when i fixed and tested my own remake... 

Edited by Mikki

7 hours ago, Pkmniako said:

It better have bay doors
Checks image
It does! Time for some fun reliving the movie!

"Open the pod bay doors KAL"

Edited by Pehvbot
dup text in post, post seems wiggy somehow with new interface.

I just played the first three missions and i had the most epic dockingmaneuver in my life :D... followed by one of the most epic crashes in my life :confused: (on the surface of mün, and not the million ton megastation... wow...)
Truely awesome until now...:D

Edited by Mikki

Good idea, I always wanted to recreate Rendezvous with Rama, but this looks like a lot of fun too!  Have to pick up this DLC soon so I can imagine myself participating in the future of space flight (in 2001, oh well the future isn't easy to predict).

1 hour ago, kBob said:

Good idea, I always wanted to recreate Rendezvous with Rama, but this looks like a lot of fun too!  Have to pick up this DLC soon so I can imagine myself participating in the future of space flight (in 2001, oh well the future isn't easy to predict).

Building a full scaled Rama will be a hell of a challenge, even scaling it down to Kerbals! o.O

1 minute ago, Lisias said:

Building a full scaled Rama will be a hell of a challenge, even scaling it down to Kerbals! o.O

Oh yeah,  have to be scaled down,  it was 50km long--well beyond the physics range of KSP.  But if they add rotation to the ability of the mission builder (as mentioned in OP) it would be interesting see if the challenges of landing dead center on the end of a rotating cylinder could be simulated.  There was also the fun of trying to intercept an object moving at high speeds through the solar system.

59 minutes ago, kBob said:

Oh yeah,  have to be scaled down,  it was 50km long--well beyond the physics range of KSP.  [...] There was also the fun of trying to intercept an object moving at high speeds through the solar system.

Don't make it as a vessel, make it an "asteroid" or even a "planet" :-)

1 hour ago, kBob said:

Oh yeah,  have to be scaled down,  it was 50km long--well beyond the physics range of KSP.  But if they add rotation to the ability of the mission builder (as mentioned in OP) it would be interesting see if the challenges of landing dead center on the end of a rotating cylinder could be simulated.  There was also the fun of trying to intercept an object moving at high speeds through the solar system.

I did a livestream where I was able to make kerbin spin so fast that things fell up, so I used kerbal konstructs to  place an inverted runway and land on it.

So, make a tiny planet with almost no mass, but spinning at the correct speed. then surround it with some constructs to be the walls.

Shame you can't walk on them because up is down etc.

5-star work gentlemen.

I finished first 3 missions and now we are en route to Jool.

The launch, the docking, and the Mun sequences are some of the best experiences I've had in KSP.

Back to my career game now, where I have a fleet of ships approaching Jool for the first time.

I'd like to experience Jool & Laythe in my career game first, then I'll be back to finish the story.

Cheers & fly safe!

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.