Disagreeing resource scanners

Hi! I have looked on google for answers to my question, but I didn't find anything relevant.

So, I wanted to do some ore mining (a first time for me) on Mun. The M700 tells me that there are 2 good spots (see screenshots). Logically I send 2 rovers, both equipped with a M4435 and a surface scanning module to choose my future mining facility's spot.

I drove the first rover for a while around the northest spot, and both scanning parts agree, telling me there's between 14.30% and 14.50% ore in the area, which is great apparently (see screenshots).

The problem is the rover on the second spot (the one near the equator). The M4435 tells me theres only 8.98% ore when the surface scanner tells me there's 13.53% ore (see screenshots)! Which one should I believe?

Thank you for reading me.

Whether I click on this button or not, the surface scanner says 13.53%.

I restarted my game and now the M4435 agrees... Both say 13.53% (and not average anymore). So, I guess it's 13.53% ^^

Edited by Gilead

23 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

The M700 is pretty inaccurate, thats the reason why there are additional surface scanners ;)

I know that. My question was not about the M700 but the other two.

6 minutes ago, Gilead said:

I know that. My question was not about the M700 but the other two.

Oh, I'm sorry, misunderstood that. The M4435 is the most precise scanner and shows the ore concentration of your very exact position. The surface scanner module will give you just more accurate informations about the biome you are in. So you can sort them like:

1) M700 (planet)

2) Surface scanner module (biome)

3) M4435 (Spot)

4 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Oh, I'm sorry, misunderstood that. The M4435 is the most precise scanner and shows the ore concentration of your very exact position. The surface scanner module will give you just more accurate informations about the biome you are in. So you can sort them like:

1) M700 (planet)

2) Surface scanner module (biome)

3) M4435 (Spot)

Isn't that the other way around?

M4435 (Narrow Band Scanner) will give you the average of the biome. The Kerbnet GUI will show the spot figure you click on, but only if you have run the analysis for that biome.

Surface Scanner (after running analysis) will show the exact abundance in all spots for the biome you run it in. But only after you click "Run analysis".

The issue is that you've got an apple to oranges comparison. You've run the analysis in the first screenshot for the "Polar Crater" biome, but in the second screenshot for the "farside crater" biome you've not run the analysis so it's only showing the average [avg] number. You have to run it for each biome to finer details.

1 hour ago, wile1411 said:

Isn't that the other way around?

M4435 (Narrow Band Scanner) will give you the average of the biome. The Kerbnet GUI will show the spot figure you click on, but only if you have run the analysis for that biome.

Surface Scanner (after running analysis) will show the exact abundance in all spots for the biome you run it in. But only after you click "Run analysis".

The issue is that you've got an apple to oranges comparison. You've run the analysis in the first screenshot for the "Polar Crater" biome, but in the second screenshot for the "farside crater" biome you've not run the analysis so it's only showing the average [avg] number. You have to run it for each biome to finer details.

Well, now I'm no longer confident in my description. I'll do a quick test as soon as I have repaired my sounds (stupid win 'update' :mad::mad: )

edit: @wile1411 is absolut right. Without an analsysis performed by the surface scanner module, the narrow band scanner shows only avrg. values for each biome. Thanks for correcting me :)

So after performing an analysis in every biome, you can use a narrow band scanners kerbnet access in orbit to search for high ore concentrations.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

I always thought these are the steps when searching for a mining spot:

1. M700  from polar orbit to analyse the planet
  2. narrow band scanner when flying over interesting spots to get better data
  3. surface scanner to get even better data

Is this OK?
From reading this thread, I wonder if one can skip the narrow band scanner part because biomes are huge, thus, biome averages are useless.

55 minutes ago, lugge said:

I always thought these are the steps when searching for a mining spot:

1. M700  from polar orbit to analyse the planet
  2. narrow band scanner when flying over interesting spots to get better data
  3. surface scanner to get even better data

Is this OK?
From reading this thread, I wonder if one can skip the narrow band scanner part because biomes are huge, thus, biome averages are useless.

Yes and no. Avrg. data of huge biomes like low-, mid- and highlands are pretty useless, but for craters and other small biomes it can be still usefull. Also you need to land to perform the analysis with a surface scanner module, so if you want to look for a good spot on a planet/moon without landing, you can still use the narrow band scanner to get slightly better results. The most precise solution is to perform the analysis with an surface scanner module and then use the kerbnet access of the narrow band scanner (while in orbit) to mark a spot.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.