A different VAB lighting suggestion...

This....

https://i.imgur.com/sXej5b4.gifv

...is ridiculous. I don't know how computationally expensive it is to continually pulse these lights but no matter what it costs, it's 100% unnecessary, looks stupid, and makes absolutely no sense.

Please either make these lights static, allow us to turn them off, or remove them altogether and use a lower-impact lighting scheme in the VAB.

Edited by blorgon

Oh I don't know. I think the pulsating of the lights is a metaphor for my creativity, pulsating with equal banality, futility and narcissistic vanity...

Actually that's a big fat lie. I have never once actively noticed that the VAB lights pulse at all.

And on that basis, I don't care.

Well over 2k hours in the game and I never noticed they do that.  Just checked.... they do, in the SPH as well.

A button to turn the lights off and see what the craft will look like in space would be great to add if they choose to play with the VAB lights.

1 hour ago, The_Rocketeer said:

And on that basis, I don't care.

I mean sure, aesthetically speaking nobody cares. But if it affects performance even a little bit, it should be removed because it adds literally nothing to the game.

13 hours ago, klesh said:

A button to turn the lights off and see what the craft will look like in space would be great to add if they choose to play with the VAB lights.

The Lights Off mod is supposed to do this, but apparently it's a WIP at the moment.

Yes, a 'lights off' switch on the editors would be a good (and presumably fairly simple) addition.  

To me it would make more sense if the VAB and SPH doors were permanently closed anyway.  As the view outside shows clouds when tbe stock game has none, and surely it is supposed to be a 'clean' environment to avoid birds, bugs and other stuff contaminating the delicate equipment.

On 5/17/2018 at 3:41 AM, pandaman said:

Yes, a 'lights off' switch on the editors would be a good (and presumably fairly simple) addition.  

To me it would make more sense if the VAB and SPH doors were permanently closed anyway.  As the view outside shows clouds when tbe stock game has none, and surely it is supposed to be a 'clean' environment to avoid birds, bugs and other stuff contaminating the delicate equipment.

The open doors have always bothered me too, especially because the outside is just a painting and doesn't even reflect the time of day... also the clouds :mad:

do think there's something to be said for how Kerbal it is to build rockets in what is essentially an oversized garage... But yeah, the ability to close the door would be nice.

• 2 weeks later...

It affects performance. But you know what affects performance more? The little trucks driving around on the floor. They affect performance a LOT more. And they don't affect it much. The performance impact is probably orders of magnitude smaller than you're capable of imagining.

For the record most of us are complaining from an asthetic point of view, the lights look silly flashing so fast.

I don't think anyone is having serious performance issues over them.

The big question here is why pulse the lights at all? It looks really goofy, I've been in a lot of large warehouse type buildings, the lighting is constant, it's not a strobe light, the VAB isn't a disco club lol.

KSP parodies the Space Race a lot. 

I've been on a lot of warehouses on my life, some of them pretty old. Fluorescent Lamps tends to pulse as the reactors goes old.

So, my guess is that the designers wanted to pass such idea: KSC were reusing any available building at hand.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.