Why are my Kerbals sliding downhill?

Several times I have landed on Kerbin somewhere that is not level.  When I do an EVA, my Kerbals often very slowly start sliding downhill, even if it is not at all steep. On an aircraft I can increase the friction on the landing gear to solve that, but  the Kerbals just keep sliding. I had one fall off a cliff while I went to get a cup of tea. Considering they can climb up very steep inclines in space suits, one would think on a gentle slope they could stay in one spot.

Has anyone else found this? Oddly, if you timewarp, the sliding often stops.

This is basically a bug that isn't easy for the devs to fix.  You're more likely to encounter this bug on other worlds when base building as things gradually slide out of physics range, but can happen to Kerbals on EVA as well.  The essential issue is that coefficient of friction doesn't really work - the physics engine jumps in, and moves your Kerbal or vessel very slightly downhill - it's often a speed of milimetres per second, but it is there.  When you turn on warp, everything is "on rails" and therefore everything stops sliding. 

13 minutes ago, bigcalm said:

This is basically a bug that isn't easy for the devs to fix.  You're more likely to encounter this bug on other worlds when base building as things gradually slide out of physics range, but can happen to Kerbals on EVA as well.  The essential issue is that coefficient of friction doesn't really work - the physics engine jumps in, and moves your Kerbal or vessel very slightly downhill - it's often a speed of milimetres per second, but it is there.  When you turn on warp, everything is "on rails" and therefore everything stops sliding. 

Does this only occur when you are focused on them, or as Gargamel said above, if I go and fly another plane, or even just focus on the Kerbal's buddy standing next to them, they will not continue to slide in my absence in the background?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.